Evaluating skilled care at delivery in Burkina Faso: principles and practice
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Special Issue: An Evaluation of Skilled Care at Delivery in Burkina Faso
Volume 13, Issue Supplement s1, pages 6–13, July 2008
How to Cite
Graham, W., Themmen, E., Bassane, B., Meda, N. and De Brouwere, V. (2008), Evaluating skilled care at delivery in Burkina Faso: principles and practice. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 13: 6–13. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02082.x
- Issue published online: 10 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2008
- 2006) Countdown to 2015: tracking intervention coverage for child survival. Lancet 368, 1067–1076. , , et al. (
- 2004) Skilled attendance at childbirth: let us go beyond the rhetoric. Tropical Medicine and International Health 9, 653–654. , & (
- 2006) Strategies for reducing maternal mortality: getting on with what works. Lancet 368, 1284–1299. & (
- 1998) Strategies for reducing maternal mortality in developing countries: what can we learn from history of western countries? Tropical Medicine and International Health 3, 771–782. , & (
- 2004) Overcoming barriers to health service access: influencing the demand side. Health Policy and Planning 19, 69–79. & (
- Family Care International (2005). The Skilled Care Initiative: Which Childbirth Attendants are “Skilled”? Issues and Strategies in Assessing Provider Skills. Technical Brief. FCI, New York.
- Family Care International (2007) The Skilled Care Initiative: Overview and Key Findings. Technical Brief. FCI, New York.
- 2005) Who’s got the Power? Transforming Health Systems for Women and Children. UN Millennium Project, Taskforce on Child Health and Maternal Health, New York. , , et al. (
- 2007) Practical lessons from global safe motherhood initiatives: time for a new focus on implementation. Lancet 370, 1383–1391. , , et al. (
- 2007) Women deliver for development. Lancet 370, 1347–1357. , & (
- 2001) Can skilled attendance at delivery reduce maternal mortality in developing countries? In: Safe Motherhood Strategies: A Review of the Evidence, Vol. 17 (eds VDe Brouwere & WVan Lerberghe) Studies in Health Service Organisation and Policy, pp. 97–130. , & (
- 2006) Maternal and perinatal conditions. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd Edn (eds DTJamison, JGBreman, ARMeasham, GAlleyne, MClaeson, DBEvans, PJha, AMills & PMusgrove) Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 499–529. , , , , & (
- 2006) Human resources and access to maternal health care. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 94, 226–233. , & (
- 2008) Methods for evaluating effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of a Skilled Care Initiative in rural Burkina Faso. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13 (Suppl. 1), 14–24. , , et al. (
- 2004) The skilled attendance index: proposal for a new measure of skilled attendance at delivery. Reproductive Health Matters 12, 160–170. , , , , & (
- 2001) Referral in pregnancy and childbirth: concepts and strategies. In: Safe Motherhood Strategies: A Review of the Evidence, Vol. 17 (eds VDe Brouwere & Van Lerberghe) Studies in Health Service Organisation and Policy, pp. 229–246. & (
- 2003) Reducing Maternal Mortality: Learning From Bolivia, China, Egypt, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica and Zimbabwe. World Bank, Washington. & (eds) (
- 1999) Organizing delivery care: what works for safe motherhood? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 77, 399–406. , & (
- 2006) Going to scale with professional skilled care. Lancet 368, 1377–1386. , , et al. (
- 2005) Achieving Skilled Attendance for all: A Synthesis of Current Knowledge and Moving Forward. DFID Health Resource Centre, London. (
- 2007) Detours and shortcuts on the road to maternal mortality reduction. Lancet 370, 1380–1382. (
- 1992) A framework for analyzing the determinants of maternal mortality. Studies in Family Planning 23, 23–33. & (
- 2002) A Behaviour Change Approach to Investigating Factors Influencing Women’s use of Skilled Care in Homa Bay, Kenya. Change Project, Washington, DC. , , et al. (
- 2005) The Context of Women’s Health: Results From the Demographic & Health Surveys 1994–2001. DHS Comparative Report. ORC Macro, Maryland. , & (
- 2006) Maternal mortality: who, when, where, and why. Lancet 368, 1189–1200. & (
- 1985) Maternal mortality: a neglected tragedy: where is the M in MCH. Lancet 326, 83–85. & (
- 2007) Skilled care at birth in the developing world: progress to date and strategies for expanding coverage. Journal of Biosocial Science 39, 102–120. , , & (
- 2006) Safe motherhood initiative: 20 years and counting. Lancet 368, 1130–1132. (
- 2007) Delivering for women. Lancet 370, 1283. (
- UON Network (2007). The Unmet Obstetric Needs Network. http://www.itg.be/uonn/eng/home1.html .
- World Health Organization (2004) Making Pregnancy Safer: The Critical Role of the Skilled Attendant. A Joint Statement by WHO, ICM and FIGO. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2005a) Skilled Attendance at Birth: 2005 Estimates. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2005b) World Health Report 2005 - Make Every Mother and Child Count. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2006) World Health Report 2006 – Working Together for Health. WHO, Geneva.