Long-lasting insecticidal nets fail at household level to reduce abundance of sandfly vector Phlebotomus argentipes in treated houses in Bihar (India)
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2008
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 13, Issue 7, pages 953–958, July 2008
How to Cite
Dinesh, D. S., Das, P., Picado, A., Davies, C., Speybroeck, N., Ostyn, B., Boelaert, M. and Coosemans, M. (2008), Long-lasting insecticidal nets fail at household level to reduce abundance of sandfly vector Phlebotomus argentipes in treated houses in Bihar (India). Tropical Medicine & International Health, 13: 953–958. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02096.x
- Issue published online: 8 MAY 2008
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2008
- 2003) Control of phlebotomine sandflies. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 17, 1–18. & (
- 1995) Evaluation of deltamethrin-impregnated bednets and curtains against phlebotomine sandflies in Valle del Caucu, Colombia. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 9, 279–283. , , et al. (
- 1995) Malaria vector control: a critical review on chemical methods and insecticides. Annales de la Société belge de Médecine tropicale 75, 13–31. & (
- 2007) Deltamethrin-impregnated bednets reduce human landing rates of sandfly vector Lutzomyia longipalpis in Amazon households. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 21, 168–176. , , , & (
- 2003) Insecticide treated nets: impact on vector populations and relevance on initial intensity of transmission and pyrethroid resistance. Journal of Vector Borne Diseases 40, 1–8. , & (
- 2003) Susceptibility status of Phlebotomus argentipes to insecticides in districts Vaishaii and Patna (Bihar). The Journal of Communicable Diseases 35, 49–51. , , , & (
- 2001) Seasonal and nocturnal landing/biting behaviour of Phlebotomus argentipes (Diptera: Psychodidae). Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 95, 197–202. , , , & (
- 2008) The efficacy of indoor CDC light traps for collecting the sandfly Phlebotomus argentipes, vector of Leishmania donovani. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 22, 120–123. , , , (
- 2005) Impact of Olyset Long Lasting Nets to Control Transmission of Anthroponotic Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in Central Iran. 1–16. 2002. Final Technical Report Project No: SGS04-76, WHO, Eastern Mediterranean Region. , & (
- 2004) Natural breeding places of phlebotomine sandflies. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 18, 71–80. (
- 2007) Insecticide-treated bednets to prevent anthroponotic cutaneous leishmaniasis in Aleppo Governorate, Syria: results of two trials. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 101, 360–367. , , & (
- 1994) Impact of DDT indoor residual spraying on Phlebotomus argentipes in Kala-azar endemic village in eastern Uttar Pradesh. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 72, 79–81. , , , & (
- 2004) Susceptibility of Phlebotomus argentipes against DDT in endemic districts of North Bihar, India. The Journal of Communicable Diseases 36, 41–44. , , , & (
- 1995) Field trail of an ecological approach to control Phlebotomus argentipes using mud & lime plaster. The Indian Journal of Medical Research 101, 154–156. , , et al. (
- 2004) Insecticide-treated bednets and curtains for preventing malaria (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2), CD000363 Review. (
- 1986) Behaviour of Phlebotomus argentipes in the foothills of Nilgiris (Tamil Nadu), South India. The Journal of Communicable Diseases 18, 35–44. , , & (
- 2007) Evaluation of a mass distribution programme for fine-mesh impregnated bednets against visceral leishmaniasis in eastern Sudan. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 404–414. , , et al. (
- 1997) Breeding habitats of vector sandflies and their control in India. The Journal of Communicable Diseases 29, 153–159. & (
- 2003) Design-based analysis of surveys: a bovine herpesvirus 1 case study. Epidemiology and Infection 131, 991–1002. , , et al. (
- 2007) A new strategy for elimination of kala-azar from rural Bihar. The Indian Journal of Medical Research 126, 447–451. (
- WHO (2001) Report of the Fifth WHOPES Working Group Meeting. (WHO/CDS/WHOPES/2001.4) WHO, Geneva, pp. 4–16.
- WHO (2004) Report of the Seventh WHOPES Working Group Meeting. (WHO/CDS/WHOPES/2004.8) WHO, Geneva, pp. 29–56.
- WHO (2005a) Regional Strategic Framework for Elimination of Kala-azar from South-East Asia Region (2005–2015). (SEA-VBC-85–Rev.1), WHO, New Delhi, 22 pp.
- WHO (2005b) Guidelines for Laboratory and Field Testing of Long-Lasting Insecticidal Mosquito Nets. (WHO/CDS/WHOPES/GCDPP/2005.11.) WHO, Geneva, 18pp.
- WHO (2007a) Report of the Tenth WHOPES Working Group Meeting. (WHO/CDS/WHOPES/2007.1) WHO, Geneva, pp. 53–61.
- WHO (2007b) Insecticide treated mosquito nets: a position statement. http://www.who.int/malaria/docs/itn/ITNspospaperfinal.pdf (10pp).
- 2000) Safety of pyrethroid-treated mosquito nets. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 14, 1–5. , & (