Correlates of HIV testing among women in Malawi: results from the 2006 Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2008
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 13, Issue 11, pages 1351–1356, November 2008
How to Cite
Siziya, S., Muula, A. S., Rudatsikira, E. and Mataya, R. H. (2008), Correlates of HIV testing among women in Malawi: results from the 2006 Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 13: 1351–1356. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02155.x
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2008
- 2008) Antiretroviral therapy in the Malawi defence force: access, treatment outcomes and impact on mortality. PLoS ONE 3, e1445. , , et al. (
- 2007) Knowledge of correct condom use and consistency of use among adolescents in four countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. African Journal of Reproductive Health 11, 197–220. , , , & (
- 2004) Poverty in Malawi 1998. FCND Discussion paper No. 183. Food Consumption and Nutrition Division, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington DC. , & (
- 1998) The Effect of Household Wealth on Educational Attainment Around the World: Demographic and Health Survey Evidence. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 1980, Washington 1998. & (
- 1999) The effect of household wealth on educational attainment: evidence from 35 countries. Population and Development Review 25, 85–120. & (
- Study Group on Heterogeneity of HIV Epidemics in African Cities (2008) The role of context: neighbourhood characteristics strongly influence HIV risk in young women in Ndola, Zambia. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 162–170. , , ,
- 2002) The theory of reasoned action and the theory of planned behavior. In: Health Behavior and Health Education, 3rd Edn (eds , & ) Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA, pp. 67–98. & (
- 2002) Socioeconomic status and risk of HIV infection in an urban population in Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 793–802. (
- 2008) Different delivery models for antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa in the context of ‘Universal Access’. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 102, 310–311. , , , & (
- 2008) HIV testing and antiretroviral therapy in government and mission hospitals in Malawi: 2002–2007. Malawi Medical Journal 20, 4–6. , , et al. (
- 1999) Seeking causal explanations in social epidemiology. American Journal of Epidemiology 150, 113–120. & (
- 2003) Causal inference from randomized trials in social epidemiology. Social Science and Medicine 57, 2397–409. , & (
- 2008) Outcomes of patients with Kaposi’s sarcoma who start antiretroviral therapy under routine programme conditions in Malawi. Tropical Doctor 38, 5–7. , , et al. (
- 2005) Voluntary HIV counselling and testing acceptance, sexual risk behaviour and HIV incidence in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS 19, 503–511. , , et al. (
- National Institute of Health, National Cancer Institute (2005) Theory at A Glance. National Institutes of Health, NIH Publication, Washington, DC.
- National Statistical Office & ORC Macro (2005) Malawi Demographic and Health Survey 2004. NSO and ORC Macro, Calverton.
- National Statistical Office and UNICEF (2006) Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey. Final Report, National Statistical Office and UNICEF, Lilongwe, Malawi.
- 1988) Social learning theory and the health belief model. Health Education and Behaviour 15, 175–183. , & (
- 2004) The DHS Wealth Index. Accessed 10 April 2008 at http://www.nso.malawi.net/data_on_line/demography/mics/MICS%20Report.pdf. & (
- 2007) Voluntary counselling and testing: uptake, impact on sexual behaviour, and HIV incidence in a rural Zimbabwean cohort. AIDS 21, 851–60. , , et al. (
- WHO (2003) HIV testing and counselling: the gateway to treatment, care and support 2003. Accessed 13 April 2008 at http://www.who.int/3by5/publications/briefs/hiv_testing_counselling/en/index.html.
- WHO (2004) The need to know: accelerating access to testing. Accessed 13 April 2008 at http://www.who.int/3by5/en/GBCBrief.pdf.