Free distribution of insecticide treated bed nets to pregnant women in Kinshasa: an effective way to achieve 80% use by women and their newborns
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2008
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 1, pages 20–28, January 2009
How to Cite
Pettifor, A., Taylor, E., Nku, D., Duvall, S., Tabala, M., Mwandagalirwa, K., Meshnick, S. and Behets, F. (2009), Free distribution of insecticide treated bed nets to pregnant women in Kinshasa: an effective way to achieve 80% use by women and their newborns. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 20–28. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02179.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2008
- 2003a) Community reactions to the introduction of permethrin-treated bed nets for malaria control during a randomized controlled trial in western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(Suppl 4), 128–136. , , et al. (
- 2003b) Factors affecting use of permethrin-treated bed nets during a randomized controlled trial in western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(Suppl. 4), 137–141. , , et al. (
- 2007) Intra-household Mosquito Net Use in Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, and Zambia: Are Nets Being Used? Who in the Household Uses Them? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77(5), 963–971. & (
- 2003) Scaling-up coverage with insecticide-treated nets against malaria in Africa: who should pay? Lancet Infect Dis 3(5), 304–307. , , et al. (
- 2003) Is it feasible to give insecticide-treated bednets free to pregnant women? The Lancet 362(9395), 1515–1516. & (
- 2005) Use of intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in pregnancy in a rural area of western Kenya with high coverage of insecticide-treated bed nets. Tropical Medicine and International Health 10(11), 1134–1140. , , et al. (
- 2007) Effect of expanded insecticide-treated bednet coverage on child survival in rural Kenya: a longitudinal study. Lancet 370(9592), 1035–1039. , , et al. (
- 2003) Use of bednets given free to pregnant women in Kenya. Lancet 362(9395), 1549–1550. & (
- 2003) Reduction of malaria during pregnancy by permethrin-treated bed nets in an area of intense perennial malaria transmission in western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(Suppl. 4), 50–60. , , et al. (
- 2004) Insecticide-treated bed nets and curtains for preventing malaria. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2), CD000363. (
- 2007) Programme diversity is key to the success of insecticide-treated bednets. Lancet 370(9592), 1009–1010. & (
- 2002) Socially marketed insecticide-treated nets improve malaria and anaemia in pregnancy in southern Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7(2), 149–158. , , et al. (
- 2006) Comparison of coverage with insecticide-treated nets in a Tanzanian town and villages where nets and insecticide are either marketed or provided free of charge. Malaria Journal 5, 44. , , et al. (
- Measure DHS, Macro International Inc (2007) ENQUÊTE DÉMOGRAPHIQUE ET DE SANTÉ EDS-RDC 2007. RAPPORT PRÉLIMINAIRE. Macro International Inc, Claverton, MD.
- Ministre du plan et de la reconstruction RDdC (2002) Enquête Nationale sur la Situation des Enfants et des Femmes: MICS2/2001. Rapport D’analyse [National Survey of the Situation of Children and Women: Analysis of MICS2/2001 Data]. Ministre du plan et de la reconstruction, Kinshasa.
- 2006) Reducing vertical HIV transmission in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo: trends in implementation and HIV prevalence by type of Antenatal clinic. International AIDS Conference, Toronto. , , et al. (
- 2006) Wealth, mother’s education and physical access as determinants of retail sector net use in rural Kenya. Malaria Journal 5, 5. , , et al. (
- 2007) Increasing coverage and decreasing inequity in insecticide-treated bed net use among rural Kenyan children. PLoS Medicine 4(8), e255. , , et al. (
- 2007) Assessing malaria control in the Kassena-Nankana district of northern Ghana through repeated surveys using the RBM tools. Malaria Journal 6, 103. , , et al. (
- 2008) Bed net Ownership, use, and Perceptions Among Women Seeking Antenatal Care in Kinshasa, DRC: Opportunities for Improved Maternal and Child Health. BMC Public Health. 2008 Sep 24; 8: 331. , , et al. (
- Roll Back Malaria (2005) Global Strategic Plan: Roll Back Malaria, 2005-2015. Roll Back Malaria Partnership, WHO, Geneva.
- 2007) Malaria control needs mass distribution of insecticidal bednets. Lancet 369(9580), 2143–2146. , & (
- UNICEF, WHO (2003) Africa Malaria Report.
- 2007) Determinants of bed net use in the Gambia: implications for malaria control. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 76(5), 830–836. , , et al. (