Private local pharmacies in low- and middle-income countries: a review of interventions to enhance their role in public health
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 3, pages 362–372, March 2009
How to Cite
Smith, F. (2009), Private local pharmacies in low- and middle-income countries: a review of interventions to enhance their role in public health. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 362–372. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02232.x
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2009
- 2003) Cost-effectiveness of syndromic management in pharmacies in Lima. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 30, 379–387. , , , & (
- 2000) Syndromic management of urethral discharge in Ghanaian pharmacies. Sexually Transmitted Infections 76, 439–442. , , & (
- 2008) Effect of a pharmaceutical care programme on blood pressure and quality of life in a Nigerian pharmacy. Pharmacy World and Science 30, 107–110. , & (
- 2008) Prospects for health-systems research. Lancet 371, 1913. , & (
- 2003) Anti-retroviral treatment in developing countries: the peril of neglecting private providers. BMJ 326, 1382–1384. (
- 2003) Can developing countries achieve adequate improvements in child health outcomes without engaging the private sector? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81, 886–895. , & (
- 1995) Private pharmacies and health sector reform in developing countries – professional and commercial highlights. Journal of Social and Administrative Pharmacy 12, 101–111. & (
- 2002) Private pharmacies in Hanoi, Vietnam: a randomised trial of a 2 year multi-component intervention on knowledge and stated practice regarding ARI, STD and antibiotic/steroid requests. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 803–810. , , & (
- 2005) Effectiveness of a multi-component intervention on dispensing practices at private pharmacies in Vietnam and Thailand – a randomised controlled trial. Social Science and Medicine 60, 131–141. , , , & (
- 2002) Improving private pharmacy practice: a multi-intervention experiment in Hanoi, Vietnam. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 55, 1148–1155. , , , , & (
- DFID (2008) Department for International Development. http://www.dfid.gov.uk (accessed 19 November 2008).
- FIP (1993) Standards for Quality of Pharmacy Services. International Pharmaceutical Federation, The Hague.
- FIP (1998) Good Pharmacy Practice in Developing Countries: Recommendations for Stepwise Implementation. International Pharmaceutical Federation, The Hague.
- 1998) Syndromic management of STDs in pharmacies: evaluation and randomised intervention trial. Sexually Transmitted Infections 74(Supp1.), S153–S158. , , & (
- 2003) Training pharmacy workers in recognition management and prevention of STDs: district-randomised controlled trial. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81, 806–813. , , & (
- 1994) Reported and actual prescription of oral rehydration therapy for childhood diarrhoeas by retail pharmacists in Nigeria. Social Science and Medicine 39, 797–806. (
- 1998) Impact of Action-Oriented Training and/or Mailed Print Material on Retailer Practices: Safe Dispensing, Correct Advice and Appropriate Referral for Diarrhoea, ARI and Pregnancy. INRUD, Kathmandu. (
- 2005) Colloboration between private pharmacies and national tuberculosis programme: an intervention in Bolivia. Tropical Medicine and International Health 10, 246–250. , , , , & (
- 1997) Undercover care-seekers: simulated clients in the study of health provider behaviour in developing countries. Social Science and Medicine 45, 1465–1482. , , & (
- 2001) Pharmacists’ role in managing sexually transmitted infections: policy issues and options for Ghana. Health Policy and Planning 16, 152–160. , , & (
- 2008) Assistance for customers with sexually transmitted diseases at pharmacies in the Federal District, Brazil: an intervention study. Cad Saude Publica 24, 577–586. , , , & (
- 2007) Assessing the impact of educational intervention for improving management of malaria and other childhood illnesses in Kibaha district-Tanzania. East African Journal of Public Health 4, 5–11. (
- 2006) Outcomes of pharmaceutical care intervention to hypertensive patients in a Nigerian community pharmacy. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 14, 115–122. , & (
- 2002) Evaluating the potential of an intervention aimed at promoting oral rehydration therapy by educating pharmacy employees. Cadernos Saude Publica 18, 287–297. & (
- 2002) Pharmacy in Ghana’s health care system: which way forward? Ghana Pharmaceutical Journal 25, 20–23. (
- 2000) The use of primary sector contracts for primary health care: theory, evidence and lessons for low-income and middle-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation 76, 821–829. (
- 2003) A new face for private providers in developing countries: what implications for public health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81, 292–297. , , , & (
- PCF5 (2008) Fifth Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning. PCF5, London. http://www.pcf5.london.ac.uk (accessed November 2008).
- 1996) AIDS prevention training for pharmacy workers in Mexico City. AIDS Care 8, 55–69. , , , , & (
- 1993) Impact of an educational program on the treatment practices of diarrheal diseases among pharmacists and drugsellers. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 24, 32–39. , , , & (
- 2005) Private sector, human resources and health franchising in Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 274–279. , & (
- 1996) The impact of face-to-face educational outreach on diarrhoea treatment in pharmacies. Health Policy and Planning 11, 308–318. , , et al. (
- RPSGB (2008) Current Developments in Pharmacy. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London. http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/worldofpharmacy/currentdevelopmentsinpharmacy (accessed November 2008).
- 2004) Community pharmacy in Ghana: enhancing the contribution to primary health care. Health Policy and Planning 19, 234–241. (
- 2005) Pharmacy in the US Health Care System. Hawarth Press, Philadelphia. , & (eds) (
- 2008) Evaluation of immunisation knowledge, practices and service delivery in the private sector in Cambodia. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 26, 95–104. , , & (
- 2001) Private pharmacy practice and regulation: a randomised trial in Lao PDR. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 17, 579–589. , , , & (
- 1998) The roles of pharmacists in HIV/STD prevention: evaluation of an STD syndromic management intervention in Nepal. AIDS 12 (Suppl. 2), S81–S87. , , , , & (
- 2006) A systematic review of the use of simulated patients and pharmacy practice research. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 14, 83–93. , & (
- WHO (1988) The Role of the Pharmacist in the Health Care System. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (1996) Good Pharmacy Practice: Guidelines in Community and Hospital Settings. World Health Organization, Geneva.