The female sex work typology in India in the context of HIV/AIDS
Article first published online: 20 APR 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 6, pages 673–687, June 2009
How to Cite
Buzdugan, R., Halli, S. S. and Cowan, F. M. (2009), The female sex work typology in India in the context of HIV/AIDS. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 673–687. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02278.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 APR 2009
- 2004) Risk, Morality, and Blame: A Critical Analysis of Government and US Donor Responses to HIV Infections Among Sex Workers in India. Center for Health and Gender Equity, Takoma Park, MD. (
- 2002) Phase specific approaches to the epidemiology and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. Sexually Transmitted Infections 78(Suppl 1), i1–i2. & (
- 1996) Community participation in HIV prevention: problems and prospects for community-based strategies among female sex workers in Madras. Social Science & Medicine 43, 133–148. & (
- 1994) Sexual practices of the sex workers in a red light area of Calcutta. Indian Journal of Social Work 55, 545–556. & (
- 2007) Female sex workers and their clients in the epidemiology and control of sexually transmitted diseases. In: Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 4th edn (ed KKHolmes) McGraw Hill, New York, pp. 187–201. & (
- 2005) Understanding the social and cultural contexts of female sex workers in Karnataka, India: Implications for prevention of HIV infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 191(Suppl. 1), S139–S146. , , , , & (
- 2007a) Community mobilization and empowerment and HIV related risk behaviors of female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India. Presented at CIRA’s AIDS Science Day, New Haven, CT. , , , , & (
- 2007b) Policing and commercial sex work in India. Presented at CIRA’s AIDS Science Day, New Haven, CT. , , et al. (
- 2002) The impact of HIV epidemic phases on the effectiveness of core group interventions: insights from mathematical models. Sexually Transmitted Infections 78(Suppl 1), i78–i90. , & (
- 2006) Correlates and trend of HIV prevalence among female sex workers attending sexually transmitted disease clinics in Pune, India (1993–2002). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 41, 107–113. , , et al. (
- 2006) Containing HIV/AIDS in India: an unfinished agenda. Lancet Infectious Diseases 6, 508–521. , , , , & (
- 2003) HIV/AIDS intervention among women working in bars and lodges in Thane district of Maharashtra, India. Abstract presented at IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, Paris, France. , & (
- 2004) Social development of commercial sex workers in India: an essential step in HIV/AIDS prevention. AIDS Pat Care STDs 18, 159–168. & (
- 2004) Making ‘context’ concrete: a dialogical approach to the society – health relation. Journal Health Psychology 9, 281–294. (
- 2005a) HIV prevention programmes for female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India: outputs, cost and efficiency. BMC Public Health 5, 98–109. , , et al. (
- 2005b) High risk of HIV in non-brothel based female sex workers in India. BMC Public Health 5, 87–96. , , et al. (
- 2005c) HIV testing among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India. AIDS 19, 2033–2036. , , et al. (
- 2006) Demography and sex work characteristics of female sex workers in India. BMC International Health and Human Rights 6, 5–14. , , et al. (
- 2007) Factors associated with consistent condom use by female sex workers with non-client partners in Andhra Pradesh, India. A master’s thesis presentation at the Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, CT. (
- 1997) Health-seeking strategies and sexual health among female sex workers in urban India: implications for research and service provision. Social Science & Medicine 44, 1791–1803. & (
- 2008) The limits of behaviour change theory: condom use and contexts of HIV risk in the Kolkata sex industry. Culture, Health and Sex 10, 27–41. & (
- Family Health International (FHI) (2001a) Mapping of Commercial Sex Access Points and Relevant Service Outlets in Maharashtra. Report. Family Health International, New Delhi.
- Family Health International (FHI) (2001b) Behavioral surveillance survey in Maharashtra. Report. Family Health International, New Delhi.
- Frontiers Prevention Project (2006) Key Indicators for Frontiers Prevention Project: Report on Baseline Study in Andhra Pradesh, India. Report. International HIV/AIDS Alliance, Hyderabad.
- 2007) Modelling the impact and cost-effectiveness of the HIV intervention programme amongst commercial sex workers in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. BMC Public Health 7, 195–207. , , et al. (
- 2005) Evaluation of sexually transmitted diseases/human immunodeficiency virus intervention programs for sex workers in Calcutta, India. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 32, 680–684. , , et al. (
- 2004) Risky Sex, Addictions, and Communicable Diseases in India: Implications for Health, Development, and Security. Report. Chemical and Biological Arms Control Institute, Washington D.C. (
- 2006) The role of collectives in STI and HIV/AIDS prevention among female sex workers in Karnataka, India. AIDS Care 18, 739–749. , , , & (
- 2006) Structural interventions and HIV prevention among sex workers and their clients in India. Presented at ProVisions X, Mystic, CT. (
- 2007) Variability of sex work in East Godavari district: Implications for community mobilization and empowerment. Presented at Society for Applied Anthropology, 67th Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL. (
- 2005) The many faces of sex work. Sexually Transmitted Infections 81, 201–206. & (
- 2002) Diverse realities: sexually transmitted infections and HIV in India. Sexually Transmitted Infections 78(Suppl. I), i31–i39. & (
- 2007) Sex work practices and HIV prevalence in Karnataka State, South India. Abstract presented at the 8th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific, Colombo, Sri Lanka. , , et al. (
- 2004) Searching for justice for body and self in a coercive environment: sex work in Kerala, India. Reproductive Health Matters 12, 58–67. (
- Karnataka Health Promotion Trust (KHPT) (2005) Integrated Biological and Behavioural Surveys (IBBA) in Karnataka. Report. KHPT, Bangalore.
- Karnataka State AIDS Prevention Society (KSAPS) (2004) HIV/AIDS in Karnataka. Situation and response. Report. KSAPS, Bangalore.
- 1998) Model for sexual health found in India’s West Bengal. Lancet 351, 46. (
- 2003) A Rapid Situation Assessment of Sexual Risk Behaviour and Substance Use among Sex Workers and Their Clients in Chennai (Madras), South India. Report. World Health Organisation, Geneva. (
- 2006) Access to condoms for female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh. Nat Med J India 19, 306–312. , , , , & (
- 1995) Girl prostitution in India. Social Change 25, 143–153. (
- 2006) Sex Workers of India. Diversity in Practice of Prostitution and Ways of Life. Publishers, New Delhi. (
- 2002) Modeling HIV/AIDS epidemics in Botswana and India: impact of interventions to prevent transmission. Bulletin of the World Health Organ 80, 89–96. , , et al. (
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) (1997) A Summary of the Findings of the High Risk Behaviour Study from 18 Cities. Report. NACO, New Delhi.
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) (2007a) Targeted Interventions under NACP III. Volume I – Core High Risk Groups. Report. NACO, New Delhi.
- National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) (2007b) Annual HIV Sentinel Surveillance Country Report 2006. NACO, New Delhi.
- National AIDS Control Program (NACP) (2006) Integrated Biological and Behavioral Surveillance. Summary Report – Punjab. Report. NACO, New Delhi.
- 2008) Intimate partner violence is as important as client violence in increasing street-based female sex workers’ vulnerability to HIV in India. International Journal of Drug Policy 19, 106–112. , , et al. (
- Project Parivartan (2007) Results of a Cross-sectional Survey of Female Sex Workers in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh. Report. Project Parivartan, Rajahmundry.
- 1991) Night birds: Indian prostitutes from Devadasis to call girls. Chanakya Publications, New Delhi. (
- 2006a) Sex work typology and risk for HIV in female sex workers: Findings from an integrated biological and behavioural assessment in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. Presented at the 16th International AIDS Conference, Toronto, Canada. , , , , & (
- 2006b) A geographic approach to mapping high risk locations for scaling up HIV prevention program in Karnataka, a Southern Indian state: Methodology and findings. Presented at the 16th International AIDS Conference, Toronto, Canada. , & (
- 2006) Social capital and HIV risk behavior among female sex workers and men who have sex with men in Andhra Pradesh: Insights from quantitative and qualitative data. Report. Population Council, Washington D.C. , , & (
- 2005) Epidemiology of HIV infection among brothel-based sex workers in Kolkata, India. Journal of health, population, and nutrition 23, 231–235. , , , , & (
- 1987) Evidence for HTLV-III infection in prostitutes in Tamil Nadu (India). Indian Journal of Medical Research 85, 335–338. , , et al. (
- 2005) Increasing trend of HIV seropositivity among commercial sex workers attending the Voluntary and Confidential Counseling and Testing Centre in Manipur, India. International Journal of STD & AIDS 16, 166–169. , , , & (
- 2004) Organizational differences among street sex workers and brothel based sex workers in Pune, India: Implications for HIV/AIDS prevention. the 15th International Conference on AIDS, Bangkok, Thailand. (
- UNAIDS (2000) Female Sex Workers HIV Prevention Projects: Lessons Learnt from Papua New Guinea, India and Bangladesh. Report. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- 2003) Comparative analysis of street-based, brothel-based and discreet commercial sex workers on factors predicting condom use. Abstract presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, San Diego, CA. , & (
- 2001) Extent and speed of spread of HIV infection in India through the commercial sex networks: a perspective. TMIH 6, 1040–1061. & (
- 2007) Recruitment network patterns in sex worker populations: Using respondent driven sampling to reach Indian sex workers. Presented at the American Sociological Association Methods Section Annual Meeting, New Haven, CT. & (
- 2007) Respondent driven sampling of female sex workers in southern India: Implementation experiences and sample inferences. Presented at CIRA’s AIDS Science Day, New Haven, CT. , , , & (