Barriers to TB care for rural-to-urban migrant TB patients in Shanghai: a qualitative study
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 754–760, July 2009
How to Cite
Wei, X., Chen, J., Chen, P., Newell, J. N., Li, H., Sun, C., Mei, J. and Walley, J. D. (2009), Barriers to TB care for rural-to-urban migrant TB patients in Shanghai: a qualitative study. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 754–760. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02286.x
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2009
- 1997) Health sector reform: lessons from China. Social Science and Medicine 45, 351–360. & (
- 2000) Floating population and migration in China: the impact of economic reforms. China Quarterly 4, 853–855. (
- 1999) Hukou and non-hukou migrations in China: comparisons and contrasts. International Journal of Population Geography 5, 425–448. , & (
- 2007) Critical evaluation of the Global DOTS Expansion Plan. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 395–398. discussion 399–403. & (
- 2004) The impact of Hukou status on migrants’ employment - findings from the 1997 Beijing migrant census. International Migration Review 38, 709–731. & (
- 2006) Analysis of TB information and health education needs of migrants. Modern preventative medicine 33, 227–228. , , et al. (
- 2006) 2002–2004 TB epidemic in Shiyan, Bao’an district, Shen Zhen South China. Journal of Preventive Medicine 32, 4–8. (
- 2004) China’s public health system: facing the challenges. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation 82, 532–538. (
- 2007) How affordable are tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment in rural China? An analysis from community and tuberculosis patient perspectives Tropical Medicine & International Health 12, 1464–1471. , , et al. (
- 2008) Barriers to accessing TB diagnosis for rural-to-urban migrants with chronic cough in Chongqing, China: a mixed methods study. BMC Health Services Research 8, 202. doi: DOI: 10.1186/1472-6963-8-202. , , et al. (
- 2004) Provision and financial burden of TB services in a financially decentralized system: a case study from Shandong, China. International Journal of Health Planning & Management 19 (Suppl 1), S45–S62. , , & (
- MoH (2002) China Tuberculosis Prevention and Control Plan: Guideline for Programme Implementation Ministry of Health, Beijing.
- MoH (2005) Notice about Further Strengthening of TB Report and Patient Management. Ministry of Health, Beijing.
- MoH (2006) General report. In: Social evaluation report of China TB control: 2004–2005. Union Medical University Press, Beijing.
- National Institute of Statistics and Census (2006) . Statistical Communique on National Economic and Social Development 2005 of China China Statistics Press, Beijing.
- National Technical Steering Group of The Epidemiological Sampling Survey (2002) Report on fourth national epidemiological sampling survey of tuberculosis. Chinese Journal of Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases 25, 3–7.
- 2005) The operating effect of remission plan about TB control in Minghang District, Shanghai. China Primary Health Care 19, 61–63. , , et al. (
- 2000) Tuberculosis surveillance in immigrants through health undertakings in Western Australia. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Disease 4, 232–236. , , , & (
- 2003) Qualitative Research Practice a Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers. Sage, London. & (
- 2005) Research on Chinese Labor Migration:100 m Chinese on the Move. Southwest University, http://www.southwestern.edu/~robertsk/chinamig.html (accessed on 23 May 2005). (
- Shanghai Statistic Bureau (2005) Results from the one percent population survey of Shanghai in 2005. http://www.popinfo.gov.cn/popinfo/pop_docrkxx.nsf/v_tjzl/1C82829C8045419C4825713E001FA777 .
- 2006) The study recurrent tuberculosis and exogenous reinfection, Shanghai, China. Emerging Infectious Diseases 12, 1776–1778. , , et al. (
- 2007) Health-system reforms to control tuberculosis in China. Lancet 369, 626–627. (
- 2008) A systematic review of delay in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis. BMC Public Health 8(15). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/8/15 (accessed on 10 April 2009). , & (
- 2005) What lessons can be drawn from tuberculosis control in China in the 1990’s? An analysis from a health system perspective Health Policy 72, 93–104. & (
- 2007a) Barriers in accessing to tuberculosis care among non-residents in Shanghai: a descriptive study of delays in diagnosis. European Journal of Public Health 17, 419–423. , , & (
- 2007b) Progress in tuberculosis control and the evolving public-health system in China. Lancet 369, 691–696. , & (
- 2008) Treatment seeking for symptoms suggestive of TB: comparison between migrants and permanent urban residents in Chongqing, China. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 927–933. , , , & (
- 2002) Tuberculosis rates among migrants in Australia and Canada. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Disease 6, 641–644. , & (
- WHO (2005) Tackling poverty in tuberculosis control. Lancet 366, 2063.
- WHO (2007) WHO Report 2007: Global Tuberculosis Control: Surveillance, Planning and Financing. WHO, Geneva.
- 2006) Using theory to interpret beliefs in migrants diagnosed with latent TB. Online journal of issues in nursing 16, 7. & (
- 2006) DOTS in China - removing barriers or moving barriers? Health Policy & Planning 21, 365–372. , , & (
- 2007) Multiple perspectives on diagnosis delay for tuberculosis from key stakeholders in poor rural China: case study in four provinces. Health Policy 82, 186–199. , , et al. (
- 2004) Revenue-driven in TB control--three cases in China. International Journal of Health Planning & Management 19(Suppl 1), S63–S78. , , & (
- 2006) The impact of migrants on the epidemiology of tuberculosis in Beijing, China. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Disease 10, 959–962. , , & (
- 2007) Persistent problems of access to appropriate, affordable TB services in rural China: experiences of different social-economic groups. BMC Public Health 7. doi: DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-7-19. , , & (