Adherence to artesunate–amodiaquine combination therapy for uncomplicated malaria in children in Zanzibar, Tanzania
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 7, pages 766–774, July 2009
How to Cite
Beer, N., Ali, A. S., Rotllant, G., Abass, A. K., Omari, R. S., Al-mafazy, A.-w. H., Björkman, A. and Källander, K. (2009), Adherence to artesunate–amodiaquine combination therapy for uncomplicated malaria in children in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 766–774. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02289.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
- 2002) Strategies to improve adherence to recommended chloroquine treatment regimes: a quasi-experiment in the context of integrated primary health care delivery in Ghana. Social Science and Medicine 55, 2215–2226. , , , , & (
- 2001) Improving adherence to malaria treatment for children: the use of pre-packed chloroquine tablets vs. chloroquine syrup. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6, 496–504. , , & (
- 2007) Impact of artemisinin-based combination therapy and insecticide-treated nets on malaria burden in Zanzibar. PLoS Medicine 4, e309. , , , et al. (
- 2007) The role of communication between clients and health care providers: implications for adherence to malaria treatment in rural Gambia. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 382–391. , & (
- 2004) Adherence to the combination of sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine and artesunate in the Maheba refugee settlement, Zambia. Tropical Medicine and International Health 9, 62–67. , , , et al. (
- 2005) Adoption of the new antimalarial drug policy in Tanzania--a cross-sectional study in the community. Tropical Medicine and International Health 10, 1038–1046. , , , et al. (
- 2007) Assessing health worker performance in malaria case management of underfives at health facilities in a rural Tanzanian district. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 52–61. , , , , & (
- 2004) Adherence to a six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Uganda. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71, 525–530. , , , et al. (
- 2001) Diagnostic accuracy and case management of clinical malaria in the primary health services of a rural area in south-eastern Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6, 423–428. , , , et al. (
- 2008) Amodiaquine pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenomics, 9, 1385–1390. (
- 1998) Interventions to improve the use of antimalarials in south-east Asia: an overview. Bulletin of World Health Organization 76(Suppl 1), 9–19. , & (
- 1994) Research on patient compliance in developing countries. Bulletin of the Pan American Health Organization 28, 17–33. & (
- 2004) Adherence to antimalarial combination therapy with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and artesunate in rural Tanzania. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71, 715–722. , , , , & (
- 1999) Two-stage cluster sampling; clusters sampled with equal probability. In: Sampling of populations: Methods and applications (eds RMGroves, GKalton, JNKRao, NSchwarz N & CSkinner) John Wiley & Sons Inc, New York, pp. 275–332. & (
- 1996) Treatment seeking for malaria: a review of recent research. Social Science and Medicine 43, 933–945. (
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare Zanzibar (2006) Drugs for treatment of malaria Artesunate and Amodiaquine that are packed together (co-blister pack). Dawa za kutibu malaria artesunate na amodiaquine zilizofungwa pamoja (co-blister pack). Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Zanzibar. WAUJ/DMU/1/6.
- 2002) Appropriate treatment of malaria? Use of antimalarial drugs for children’s fevers in district medical units, drug shops and homes in eastern Uganda. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7, 309–316. , , & (
- 2001) Compliance to correct dose of chloroquine in uncomplicated malaria correlates with improvement in the condition of rural Nigerian children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 95, 320–324. , , , & (
- 2007) Artesunate-amodiaquine combination therapy for falciparum malaria in young Gabonese children. Malaria Journal 6, 29. , , , et al. (
- 1998) The effect of drug packaging on patients’ compliance with treatment for Plasmodium vivax malaria in China. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 76(Suppl. 1), 21–27. , , , et al. (
- 2007) Artesunate-amodiaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria. Expert Opinion Investigational Drugs 16, 1079–1085. & (
- 1996) Strategies for the prevention of antimalarial drug resistance: rationale for combination chemotherapy for malaria. Parasitology Today 12, 399–401. & (
- WHO (2000) The use of antimalarial drugs: Report of a WHO informal consultation 13–17 November. WHO/CDS/RBM/2001.33.
- WHO (2005a) The world malaria report 2005. WHO/HTM/MAL/2005.1102.
- WHO (2005b) Model IMCI handbook: Integrated management of childhood illnesses. WHO/FCH/CAH/00.12.
- WHO (2007) Anti-Malarial Drug Policies: AFRO. http://www.who.int/malaria/amdp/amdp_afro.htm .
- Zanzibar Roll Back Malaria Programme (2002) National Guidelines for Malaria Diagnosis and Treatment in Zanzibar. Zanzibar Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW), Stone town, Zanzibar.
- 2008a) Translation of artemether-lumefantrine treatment policy into paediatric clinical practice: an early experience from Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 99–107. , , , & (
- 2008b) Malaria case-management under artemether-lumefantrine treatment policy in Uganda. Malaria Journal 7, 181. , , , et al. (