Predictors for mortality and loss to follow-up among children receiving anti-retroviral therapy in Lilongwe, Malawi
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 14, Issue 8, pages 862–869, August 2009
How to Cite
Fetzer, B. C., Hosseinipour, M. C., Kamthuzi, P., Hyde, L., Bramson, B., Jobarteh, K., Torjesen, K., Miller, W. C., Hoffman, I., Kazembe, P. and Mwansambo, C. (2009), Predictors for mortality and loss to follow-up among children receiving anti-retroviral therapy in Lilongwe, Malawi. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14: 862–869. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02315.x
- Issue online: 11 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2009
- 1999) Analysis of case-cohort designs. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 52, 1165–1172. , , & (
- 2007) Clinical outcomes and CD4 cell response in children receiving antiretroviral therapy at primary health care facilities in Zambia. Journal of the American Medical Association 298, 1888–1899. , , et al. (
- 2007) Risk factors for early mortality in children on adult fixed-dose combination antiretroviral treatment in a central hospital in Malawi. AIDS 21, 1805–1810. , , et al. (
- 2007) Second-line combination antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: facing the challenges through clinical research. AIDS 21, S55–S63. & (
- 2006) Mortality in HIV-infected and uninfected children of HIV-infected and uninfected mothers in rural Uganda. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 41, 504–508. , , et al. (
- 2008) Dried blood spots and the ultra-sensitive p24 antigen assay for the diagnosis of perinatal HIV infection. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. Boston, MA, USA. 3–6 Feburary 2008, Abstract 928. , , , & (
- 2009) Mortality and associated factors after initiation of pediatric antiretroviral treatment in the democratic Republic of the Congo. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 28, 35–40. , , et al. (
- 2002) Survival, disease manifestations, and early predictors of disease progression among children with perinatal human immunodeficiency virus infection in Thailand. Pediatrics 8, 1–6. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=12165624 (accessed on 15 June 2009). , , et al. (
- 2008) Morbidity and mortality among a cohort of HIV-1-infected and uninfected pregnant women and their infants from Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 27, 808–814. , , et al. (
- 2002) Prognosis of HIV-1 infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies. Lancet 360, 119–129. , , et al. (
- 2006) Contextualizing the paediatric HIV epidemic: a review. East African Medical Journal 83, 684–688. , , et al. (
- 2006) Mortality and causes of death in adults receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy in Senegal: a 7-year cohort study. AIDS 20, 1181–1189. , , et al. (
- HIV Paediatric Prognostic Markers Collaborative Study (2005) Use of total lymphocyte count for informing when to start antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected children: a meta-analysis of longitudinal data. Lancet 366, 1868–1874.
- 2004) Mortality is the Leading Cause of Loss to Follow-up Among Antiretroviral Patients in Malawi. 11th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. San Francisco, CA, USA. 8–11 February 2004, Abstract 594. , , , & (
- 2007) Morbidity, mortality, and response to treatment by children in the United Kingdom and Ireland with perinatally acquired HIV infection during 1996–2006: planning for teenage and adult care. Clinical Infectious Disease 45, 918–924. , , et al. (
- 2008) Clinical and immunological outcomes of a national paediatric cohort receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in Uganda. AIDS 22, 2493–2499. , , et al. (
- 2007) Malawi’s contribution to “3 by 5”: achievements and challenges. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 156–160. , , et al. (
- 2007) Disease progression in children with vertically-acquired HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: reviewing the need for HIV treatment. Current HIV Research 5, 139–153. , , et al. (
- 2007) Assessment of a national monitoring and evaluation system for rapid expansion of antiretroviral treatment in Malawi. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 377–381. , , et al. (
- 2006) Who is accessing antiretroviral therapy during national scale-up in Malawi? Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 100, 975–979. , , et al. (
- Malawi Paediatric Antiretroviral Treatment Group (2007) Antiretroviral therapy for children in the routine setting in Malawi. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 101, 511–516.
- 2007) Child mortality according to maternal and infant HIV status in Zimbabwe. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 26, 519–526. , , et al. (
- 1998) Changing patterns of mortality across Europe in patients infected with HIV-1. Lancet 352, 1725–1730. , , et al. (
- MoH Malawi (2006) Malawi AntiRetroviral Therapy Guidelines, 2nd edn. Ministry of Health, Lilongwe.
- MoH Malawi (2007) Quarterly report antiretroviral treatment programme in malawi with results up to 31st december, 2007, Ministry of Health, Lilongwe.
- 1997) AIDS mortality in Uganda: circumstances, factors and impact of death. Health Transition Review 7, S207–S224. , & (
- 2006) Outcomes of HIV-infected orphaned and non-orphaned children on antiretroviral therapy in western Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 143, 418–425. , , et al. (
- 2006) Clinical outcomes improve with highly active antiretroviral therapy in vertically HIV type-1-infected children. Clinical Infectious Diseases 43, 243–252. , , et al. (
- 1998) Modern Epidemiology, 3rd Edn. Lippincott, New York. & (
- UNAIDS (2006) Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic Annex 2. http://data.unaids.org/pub/GlobalReport/2006/2006_GR_ANN2_en.pdf (accessed on 29 December 2007).
- United States Central Intelligence Agency (2007) World Factbook, Malawi Peoples. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mi.html (accessed on 26 October 2007).
- 2008) Early antiretroviral therapy and mortality among HIV-infected infants. The New England Journal of Medicine 359, 2233–2244. , , et al. (
- 2007) The impact of daily cotrimoxazole prophylaxis and antiretroviral therapy on mortality and hospital admissions in HIV-infected Zambian children. Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 44, 1361–1367. , , et al. (
- WHO (2004) ART for Infection in Adults and Adolescents in Resource Limited Settings Towards Universal Access: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. WHO, Geneva.
- 2007) True outcomes for patients on antiretroviral therapy who are “lost to follow-up” in Malawi. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 550–554. , , et al. (
- 2006) Risk factors for high early mortality in patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi. AIDS 20, 2355–2360. , , et al. (
- 2006) The introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. ed Tijdschr Geneeskd 150, 2774–2778. & (