Cost-effectiveness of educational outreach to primary care nurses to increase tuberculosis case detection and improve respiratory care: economic evaluation alongside a randomised trial
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 277–286, March 2010
How to Cite
Fairall, L., Bachmann, M. O., Zwarenstein, M., Bateman, E. D., Niessen, L. W., Lombard, C., Majara, B., English, R., Bheekie, A., Van Rensburg, D., Mayers, P., Peters, A. and Chapman, R. (2010), Cost-effectiveness of educational outreach to primary care nurses to increase tuberculosis case detection and improve respiratory care: economic evaluation alongside a randomised trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 277–286. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02455.x
- Issue published online: 10 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2010
- 2005) Does the integrated management of childhood illness cost more than routine care? Results from Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 369–377. , , , , & (
- 2007) Methods for analyzing cost effectiveness data from cluster randomised trials. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 5, 12. , , & (
- 2005) Cost effectiveness analysis of strategies for tuberculosis control in developing countries. BMJ 331, 1364. , & (
- 2006) The Practical Approach to Lung Health in South Africa (PALSA) intervention: respiratory guideline implementation for nurse trainers. International Nursing Review 53, 261–268. , , et al. (
- 2004) Cost-effectiveness with multiple outcomes. Health Economics 13, 1181–1190. & (
- 2001) Handling uncertainty in economic evaluation. In: Economic Evaluation in Health Care (eds MDrummond & AMcGuire) OUP, Oxford, pp. 172–214. (
- 2000) Bootstrap confidence intervals: when, which, what? A practical guide for medical statisticians. Statistics in Medicine 19, 1141–1164. & (
- 2004) Cost-effectiveness of Antiretroviral Treatment for HIV-Positive Adults in a South African Township. University of Cape Town, Cape Town. , , & (
- 2003) Tuberculosis epidemics driven by HIV: is prevention better than cure? AIDS 17, 2501–2508. , , & (
- 2005) Cost, affordability and cost-effectiveness of strategies to control tuberculosis in countries with high HIV prevalence. BMC Public Health 5, 130–138. , , & (
- 1999) Assessing Costs of PHC Services in an Urban District. Department of Community Health, University of Cape Town, Cape Town. (
- 2006) Diagnostic accuracy of an integrated respiratory guideline in identifying patients with respiratory symptoms requiring screening for pulmonary tuberculosis: a cross-sectional study. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 6, 22. Guideline available at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2466/6/22/additional/(accessed 15 December 2009). , , et al. (
- 2008) Development of a South African integrated syndromic respiratory disease guideline for primary care. Primary Care Respiratory Journal 17, 156–163. , , et al. (
- 2001) Evaluation of clinical predictors of lung diagnoses in primary care in Cape Town. South African Respiratory Journal 7, 72. , , & (
- 2005) Educational outreach to nurses improves tuberculosis case detection and primary care of respiratory illness: a pragmatic cluster randomized controlled trial. BMJ 331, 750–754. , , et al. (
- 2006) Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis as a cause of death in patients co-infected with tuberculosis and HIV in a rural area of South Africa. Lancet 368, 1575–1580. , , et al. (
- 1997) Cost-effectiveness of improved treatment services for sexually transmitted infections in preventing HIV-1 infection in Mwanza region, Tanzania. Lancet 350, 1805–1809. , , et al. (
- 2005) Active case finding of tuberculosis: historical perspective and future prospects. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 9, 1183–1203. , , & (
- 2000) The Costs of Adult Inpatient Care for HIV Disease at GF Jooste Hospital. Health Economics Unit, University of Cape Town, Cape Town. (
- 2006) Cost of measures to control tuberculosis/HIV in public primary care facilities in Cape Town, South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 528–536. , , et al. (
- 2002) Formal clinical primary health care training. Does it make a difference? Curationis 25, 32–37. , & (
- 1997) An audit of asthma care at Khayelitsha Community Health Centre. South African Medical Journal 87, 475–476. & (
- 2003) Sustained benefit of a community and professional intervention to increase acute stroke therapy. Archives of Internal Medicine 163, 2198–2202. , , , , & (
- 2006) Bayesian cost-effectiveness analysis with two measures of effectiveness: the cost-effectiveness acceptability plane. Health Economics 15, 363–372. & (
- 2000) Evaluation of the effectiveness of an educational intervention for general practitioners in adolescent health care: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 320, 224–230. , , et al. (
- 2001) Validity of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality clinical practice guidelines: how quickly do guidelines become outdated? JAMA 286, 1461–1467. , , et al. (
- 2006) Practical approach to lung health in Nepal: better prescribing and reduction of cost. Tropical Medicine and International Health 11, 765–772. , , , , & (
- 2003) Cost and cost-effectiveness of community-based care for tuberculosis in Cape Town, South Africa. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 7, S56–S62. , , , , & (
- Statistics South Africa (2009) Consumer Price Index excluding interest rates on mortgage bonds (CPIX). Available at: http://www.statssa.gov.za/keyindicators/cpix.asp(accessed 16 December 2009).
- 2004) Treatment patterns in the months prior to and after asthma-related emergency department visit. Chest 126, 75–80. , & (
- US Department of Labor (2009) Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index. Available at: http://www.bls.gov/CPI/ (accessed 16 December 2009).
- WHO (2004) Respiratory Care in Primary Care Services – A Survey in 9 Countries (WHO/HTM/TB/2004.333). WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2005) PAL: A Primary Health Care Strategy for the Integrated Management of Respiratory Conditions of People of Five Years of Age and Over (WHO/HTM/TB/2005.351; WHO/NMH/CHP/CPM/CRA/05.3). WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/pal/en/index.html (accessed 15 December 2009).
- WHO (2008a) Stop TB Partnership. 2007–2008 XDR and MDR Tuberculosis Global Response Plan. WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.stoptb.org/resource_center/assets/factsheets/MDR_FACT_SHEET_2007.pdf (accessed 15 December 2009).
- WHO (2008b) Practical Approach to Lung Health. Manual on Initiating PAL Implementation (WHO/HTM/TB/2008.410; WHO/NMH/CHP/CPM/08.02). WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/pal/en/index.html (accessed 16 December 2009).
- WHO (2009) Global Tuberculosis Control. Epidemiology, Strategy, Financing. WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/2009/en/index.html (accessed 16 December 2009).