Using vital registration data to update mortality among patients lost to follow-up from ART programmes: evidence from the Themba Lethu Clinic, South Africa
Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 405–413, April 2010
How to Cite
Fox, M. P., Brennan, A., Maskew, M., MacPhail, P. and Sanne, I. (2010), Using vital registration data to update mortality among patients lost to follow-up from ART programmes: evidence from the Themba Lethu Clinic, South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 405–413. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02473.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2010
- 2006) When to initiate highly active antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa? A South African cost-effectiveness study Antiviral Therapy 11, 63–72. , , et al. (
- 2008) Overestimates of survival after HAART: implications for global scale-up efforts. PLoS ONE 3, e1725. , , et al. (
- 2009) Mortality of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral treatment programmes in resource-limited settings: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 4, e5790. , & (
- 2004) Outcomes after two years of providing antiretroviral treatment in Khayelitsha, South Africa. AIDS 18, 887–895. , , et al. (
- 2001) . The Impact of HIV/AIDS on Adult Mortality in South Africa. Medical Research Council, Cape Town. , , , & (
- 2002) Prognosis of HIV-1-infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies. Lancet 360, 119–129. , , et al. (
- 2009) Correcting mortality for loss to follow up: a graphical approach applied to ART programmes in resource-limited settings. 5th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment Abstract no. WEPED173. 2009. , , et al. (
- 2008) Effectiveness of antiretroviral treatment in a South African program: a cohort study. Archives of Internal Medicine 168, 86–93. , , et al. (
- 2008a) Sampling-based approach to determining outcomes of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral therapy scale-up programs in Africa. JAMA 300, 506–507. , , et al. (
- 2005) Efficacy of antiretroviral therapy programs in resource-poor settings: a meta-analysis of the published literature. Clinical Infectious Diseases 41, 217–224. , & (
- 2008) Public-health and individual approaches to antiretroviral therapy: township South Africa and Switzerland compared. PLoS Medicine 5, e148. , , et al. (
- 2005) Long-term benefits of highly active antiretroviral therapy in Senegalese HIV-1-infected adults. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 38, 14–17. , , et al. (
- 2005) Efficacy of antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings: are outcomes comparable to those in the developed world? Clinical Infectious Diseases 41, 1683–1684. , & (
- 1997) Survival of AIDS patients according to type of AIDS-defining event. The AIDS in Europe Study Group. International Journal of Epidemiology 26, 400–407. , , et al. (
- 2002) HIV-1 infection in rural Africa: is there a difference in median time to AIDS and survival compared with that in industrialized countries? AIDS 16, 597–603. , , et al. (
- National Department of Health (2004) National Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines. Department of Health (South Africa), Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2007) Patient retention in antiretroviral therapy programs in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. 1st edn, PLoS Medicine 4, e298. , & (
- 2007) PEPFAR Implementation: Progress and Promise. Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.. , , et al. (
- 2007) A scandal of invisibility: making everyone count by counting everyone. Lancet 370, 1569–1577. , , et al. (
- Statistics South Africa (2005) Mortality and Causes of Death in South Africa, 1997–2003. Findings from Death Notification. Statistics South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa.
- 2002). Mortality Trends in South Africa 1985–2000. From Apartheid to AIDS. South African Medical Research Council, Cape Town. , , & (
- WHO (2005a) Progress Report on Global Access to Antiretroviral Therapy. An Update on 3 by 5. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2005b) Antiretroviral Therapy Coverage in Low- and Middle-Income Countries, by Region Situation as of June 2005. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO, UNAIDS, UNICEF (2008) Towards Universal Acess. Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector. Progress Report, April 2008. WHO, Geneva.
- 2008) Sampling-based approaches to improve estimation of mortality among patient dropouts: experience from a large PEPFAR-funded program in Western Kenya. PLoS ONE 3, e3843. , , et al. (