Long-lasting insecticide–treated net usage in eastern Sierra Leone – the success of free distribution
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 480–488, April 2010
How to Cite
Gerstl, S., Dunkley, S., Mukhtar, A., Maes, P., De Smet, M., Baker, S. and Maikere, J. (2010), Long-lasting insecticide–treated net usage in eastern Sierra Leone – the success of free distribution. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 480–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02478.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2010
- Anonymous (2008) Rolling back malaria – the next 10 years. Lancet 372, 1193.
- 2007) Intra-household mosquito net use in Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, and Zambia: are nets being used? Who in the household uses them? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77, 963–971. & (
- 2008) Gains in awareness, ownership and use of insecticide-treated nets in Nigeria, Senegal, Uganda and Zambia. Malaria Journal 7, 153. & (
- 2009) Equity and coverage of insecticide-treated bed nets in an area of intense transmission of Plasmodium falciparum in Tanzania. Malaria Journal 8, 65. , , , , & (
- 2007) Impact of artemisinin-based combination therapy and insecticide-treated nets on malaria burden in Zanzibar. PLoS Medicine 4, e309. , , et al. (
- 2008) Free Distribution or Cost-Sharing? Evidence from a Randomized Malaria Prevention Experiment. BREAD Working Paper No. 169, Bureau for Research and Economic Analysis of Development, Durham, United States. http://www.cid.harvard.edu/bread/papers/working/169.pdf (accessed 7 August 2009). & (
- 2003) Scaling-up coverage with insecticide-treated nets against malaria in Africa: who should pay? Lancet Infectious Diseases 3, 304–307. , , et al. (
- 2009) Assessment of insecticide-treated bednet use among children and pregnant women across 15 countries using standardized national surveys. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 80, 209–214. , , , & (
- 2007) Effect of expanded insecticide-treated bednet coverage on child survival in rural Kenya: a longitudinal study. Lancet 370, 1035–1039. , , et al. (
- 2009) Utilization, retention and bio-efficacy studies of PermaNet in selected villages in Buie and Fentalie districts of Ethiopia. Malaria Journal 8, 114. , & (
- 2008) Study Report: Retrospective Mortality and Nutrition Survey in the MSF Catchment Area, Bo and Pujehun Districts, Sierra Leone in 2007. MSF-United Kingdom, London. (
- 2009) Study Report: Adherence to Artemisinin-based Combination Therapy (AS+AQ) in the MSF Catchment Area, Bo and Pujehun Districts, Sierra Leone in 2008. MSF-United Kingdom, London. (
- 2008) Access and barriers to measures targeted to prevent malaria in pregnancy in rural Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 208–217. , , , & (
- 2007) Sustained high coverage of insecticide-treated bednets through combined Catch-up and Keep-up strategies. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 815–822. , & (
- 2009) Household ownership and use of insecticide treated nets among target groups after implementation of a national voucher programme in the United Republic of Tanzania: plausibility study using three annual cross sectional household surveys. British Medical Journal 339, b2434. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b2434. , , et al. (
- 2008) Retention and efficacy of long-lasting insecticide-treated nets distributed in eastern Sudan: a two-step community-based study. Malaria Journal 7, 85. , , & (
- 1982) Cluster sampling to assess immunisation coverage: a review of experience with simplified sampling methodology. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 60, 253–260. & (
- 2008) Markets, voucher subsidies and free nets combine to achieve high bed net coverage in rural Tanzania. Malaria Journal 7, 98. , , et al. (
- 2007) Preventing Childhood Malaria in Africa by Protecting Adults from Mosquitoes with Insecticide Treated Nets. PLoS Medicine 4, e229. , , et al. (
- 2003) Monitoring mosquito net coverage for malaria control in Africa: possession vs. use by children under five years. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 693–703. , , , , & (
- 2004) Insecticide-treated bednets and curtains for preventing malaria. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2, CD000363. (
- 2006) Rolling out insecticide treated nets in Eritrea: examining the determinants of possession and use in malarious zones during the rainy season. Tropical Medicine and International Health 11, 824–833. , & (
- 2009) How equitable is bed net ownership and utilisation in Tanzania? A practical application of the principles of horizontal and vertical equity. Malaria Journal 8, 109. , , & (
- 2007) Estimating the number of insecticide-treated nets required by African households to reach continent-wide malaria coverage targets. JAMA 297, 2241–2250. , , & (
- Ministry of Health and Sanitation (2007) Survey Report: Coverage of Malaria Control Interventions in the Eight Global Fund Districts in Sierra Leone. Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- 2008) Cost-effectiveness analysis of insecticide-treated net distribution as part of the Togo Integrated Child Health Campaign. Malaria Journal 7, 73. , , , , & (
- 2007) Increasing coverage and decreasing inequity in insecticide-treated bed net use among rural Kenyan children. PLoS Medicine 8, e255. , , & (
- 2009a) Insecticide-treated net coverage in Africa: mapping progress in 2000–07. Lancet 373, 58–67. , , , & (
- 2009b) The use of insecticide treated nets by age: implications for universal coverage in Africa. BMC Public Health 9, 369. , , & (
- 2008) Utilization of insecticide-treated nets by under-five children in Nigeria: assessing progress towards the Abuja targets. Malaria Journal 7, 145. , & (
- 2009) Decreased motivation in the use of insecticide-treated nets in a malaria endemic area in Burkina Faso. Malaria Journal 8, 175. , , et al. (
- 2009) Free distribution of insecticide treated bed nets to pregnant women in Kinshasa: an effective way to achieve 80% use by women and their newborns. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 20–28. , & (
- Roll Back Malaria (2005) The Global Strategic Plan 2005–2015. Roll Back Malaria Partnership, WHO, Geneva. http://www.rollbackmalaria.org/forumV/docs/gsp_en.pdf (Accessed 7 August 2009).
- 2006) The burden of malaria mortality among African children in the year 2000. International Journal of Epidemiology 35, 691–704. , , et al. (
- 2005) Achieving the Millennium Development Goals—the case of malaria. New England Journal of Medicine 352, 115–117. (
- 2007) Malaria control needs mass distribution of insecticidal bednets. Lancet 369, 2143–2146. , & (
- 2008) Insecticide-treated net ownership and usage in Niger after a nationwide integrated campaign. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 827–834. , , et al. (
- UNICEF-Sierra Leone (2007) Sierra Leone Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2005, Final Report. UNICEF-Sierra Leone, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- WHO (2000) The African Summit on Roll Back Malaria. Abuja, Nigeria, 25 April 2000. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2007) Report of the Eleventh WHOPES Working Group Meeting 2007. Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases, WHO Pesticide Evaluation Scheme. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2008) World Malaria Report 2008. WHO, Geneva.