Prevalent high-risk respiratory hygiene practices in urban and rural Bangladesh
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
Published 2010. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 762–771, June 2010
How to Cite
Nasreen, S., Azziz-Baumgartner, E., Gurley, E. S., Winch, P. J., Unicomb, L., Sharker, M. A. Y., Southern, D. and Luby, S. P. (2010), Prevalent high-risk respiratory hygiene practices in urban and rural Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 762–771. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02531.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
- 2009) The role of formative research in the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System. Public Health Reports 124, 26–33. , , & (
- 1991) Potential role of hands in the spread of respiratory viral infections: studies with human parainfluenza virus 3 and rhinovirus 14. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 29, 2115–2119. , , , & (
- 2000) Poor Maternal Schooling Is the Main Constraint to Good Child Care Practices in Accra. The Journal of Nutrition 130, 1597–1607. , , , & (
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) (2009) Statistical pocket book of Bangladesh 2008. Dhaka: Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Planning Division, Ministry of Planning.
- 1982) Survival of influenza viruses on environmental surfaces. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 146, 47–51. , , et al. (
- 2008) Comparing the performance of indicators of hand-washing practices in rural Indian households. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 278–285. , , , , & (
- 2009) The effect of a soap promotion and hygiene education campaign on handwashing behaviour in rural India: a cluster randomized trial. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 1303–1314. , & (
- 2004) The occurrence of influenza A virus on household and day care center fomites. Journal of Infection 51, 103–109. & (
- 2007) Transmission of influenza A in human beings. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 7, 257–265. , , , & (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2003a) Respiratory Hygiene/Cough Etiquette in Healthcare Settings. Seasonal Flu.
- Centers for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC) (2003b) Severe acute respiratory syndrome-Singapore, 2003. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 52, 405–411.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2007) Cover your Cough. Seasonal Flu.
- 2006) Infection control and pandemic influenza. The Medical Journal of Australia 185, S54–S57. & (
- 1996) Reactivity and repeatability of hygiene behaviour: structured observations from Burkina Faso. Social Science & Medicine 43, 1299–1308. , , , & (
- 2006) Who sleeps under bednets in Ghana? A doer/non-doer analysis of malaria prevention behaviours. Malaria Journal 5, 61. , , et al. (
- Food for the Hungry (2004) Doer/Non-doer Analysis. Barrier Analysis. A tool for improving behavior change communication in child Survival and Community Development Programs.
- 2009) Pandemic potential of a strain of influenza A (H1N1): early findings. Science 324, 1557–1561. , , et al. (
- 2007) The public hand hygiene practices of New Zealanders: a national survey. The New Zealand Medical Journal 120 (1265), U2810. , , & (
- 2008) The effect of superspreading on epidemic outbreak size distributions. Journal of Theoretical Biology 253, 228–237. & (
- 1998) Hygiene behaviour in rural Nicaragua in relation to diarrhoea. International Journal of Epidemiology 27, 1090–1100. , , , , & (
- 2009) Lack of airborne transmission during outbreak of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 among tour group members, China, June 2009. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15, 1578–1581. , , et al. (
- 2003) Hand washing practices and challenges in Bangladesh. International Journal of Environmental Health Research 13, S81–S87. (
- ICDDBR: Centre for Health and Population Research (2006) Population-based influenza surveillance, Dhaka. Health and Science Bulletin 4, 1–5.
- ICDDBR: Centre for Health and Population Research (2008) Hospital based surveillance revealed high prevalence of influenza in Bangladesh. Health and Science Bulletin 6, 1–6.
- ICDDRB (2008) Hand washing behavior in rural Bangladesh. Health and Science Bulletin 6, 1–6.
- 2009) Experimental pretesting of handwashing interventions in a natural setting. American Journal of Public Health 99, S405–411. , , , , & (
- 2007a) HIV behavioral surveillance among the U.S. general population. Public Health Reports 122, 24–31. , , & (
- 2007b) HIV Behavioral Surveillance in the U.S.:A Conceptual Framework. Public Health Reports 122, 16–23. , , & (
- 2005) Superspreading and the effect of individual variation on disease emergence. Nature 438, 355–359. , , & (
- 2008) Associations among hand washing indicators, wealth, and symptoms of childhood respiratory illness in urban Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 1–10. & (
- 2009a) Household characteristics associated with hand washing with soap in rural Bangladesh. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 81, 882–887. , , , , & (
- 2009b) Recurrent zoonotic transmission of Nipah virus into humans, Bangladesh, 2001-2007. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15, 1229–1235. , , et al. (
- 2009) Transmission and pathogenesis of swine-origin 2009 A(H1N1) influenza viruses in ferrets and mice. Science Published online 2 July 2009; 10.1126/science.1177238. , , et al. (
- 1992) Lower respiratory illness in infants and low socio-economic status. American Journal of Public Health 82, 1119–1126. , , et al. (
- 1988) An ecological perspective on health promotion programs. Health Education & Behavior 15, 351–377. , , & (
- 1996) The use of theory based semistructured elicitation questionnaires: formative research for CDC’s Prevention Marketing Initiative. Public Health Reports 111, 18–27. , , , & (
- 2009) Pathogenesis and transmission of swine-origin 2009 A(H1N1) influenza virus in ferrets. Science Published online 2 July 2009; 10.1126/science.1177127. , , et al. (
- 2006) Estimation of potential global pandemic infl uenza mortality on the basis of vital registry data from the 1918–20 pandemic: a quantitative analysis. The Lancet 368, 2211–2218. , , , & (
- National Institute of Population Research and Training (NIPORT), Mitra and Associates & Macro International(2009) Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2007. Dhaka, Bangladesh and Calverton, Maryland, USA: National Institute of Population Research and Training, Mitra and Associates, and Macro International.
- 2009a) Transmission potential of the new influenza A (H1N1) virus and its age-specificity in Japan. Euro surveillance 14, 2–5. , , & (
- 2009b) Estimating the reproduction number of the novel influenza A virus (H1N1) in a Southern Hemisphere setting: preliminary estimate in New Zealand. Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association 122, 73–77. , & (
- 2008) Major issues and challenges of influenza pandemic preparedness in developing countries. Emerging Infectious Diseases 14, 875–880. , & (
- 2006) Handwashing and risk of respiratory infections: a quantitative systematic review. Tropical Medicine and International Health 11, 258–267. & (
- 2004) Superspreading SARS events, Beijing, 2003. Emerging Infectious Diseases 10, 256–260. , , et al. (
- 1996) Translating social ecological theory into guidelines for community health promotion. American Journal of Health Promotion 10, 282–298. (
- 2008) Survival of influenza virus on banknotes. Applied Environmental Microbiology 74, 3002–3007. , , , et al. (
- 1989) Risk factors for deaths to respiratory infections among Brazilian infants. International Journal of Epidemiology 18, 918–925. , , , & (
- World Bank (2007) Dhaka: improving living conditions for the urban poor. Bangladesh Development Series, Paper No. 17. Dhaka, The World Bank Office.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2008) World health statistics 2008: Global health indicators.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2009a) Pandemic influenza prevention and mitigation in low resource communities. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/PI_summary_low_resource_02_05_2009.pdf (Retrieved, May 2009).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2009b) Influenza (Seasonal). Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/index.html (Retrieved, June 2009).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2009c) Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 – update 81. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_12_30/en/index.html (Retrieved, January 2010).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2009d) SitRep: Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 – update 83 by WHO HQ. Available at: http://www.whoban.org/ (Retrieved, January 2009).
- World Health Organization (WHO) Influenza (Seasonal).
- World Health Organization Writing Group (2006) Nonpharmaceutical interventions for pandemic influenza, national and community measures. Emerging Infectious Diseases 12, 88–94.