Substandard emergency obstetric care – a confidential enquiry into maternal deaths at a regional hospital in Tanzania
Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 8, pages 894–900, August 2010
How to Cite
Sorensen, B. L., Elsass, P., Nielsen, B. B., Massawe, S., Nyakina, J. and Rasch, V. (2010), Substandard emergency obstetric care – a confidential enquiry into maternal deaths at a regional hospital in Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 894–900. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02554.x
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2010
- 2007) Hospital based maternity care in ghana - findings of a confidential enquiry into maternal deaths. Ghana medical journal 41, 125–132. , , , & (
- 2009) Maternal mortality in Syria: causes, contributing factors and preventability. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 1122–1127. , , et al. (
- 2008) Countdown to 2015 for maternal, newborn, and child survival: the 2008 report on tracking coverage of interventions. Lancet 371, 1247–1258. , , et al. (
- 2005) National maternal mortality ratio in Egypt halved between 1992-1993 and 2000. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 462–472. , , et al. (
- 2009) Assessing quality of care provided by Indonesian village midwives with a confidential enquiry. Midwifery 25, 528–539. , , et al. (
- 2005) Emergency obstetric care in developing countries: impact of guidelines implementation in a community hospital in Senegal. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 112, 1264–1269. , , & (
- 2001) Can skilled attendance at delivery reduce maternal mortality in developing countries? Safe Motherhood Strategies: a Review of the Evidence Studies in Health Services Organisation and Policy 17, 91–131. , & (
- 2007) Estimates of maternal mortality worldwide between 1990 and 2005: an assessment of available data. Lancet 370, 1311–1319. , , et al. (
- 2007) Improving the use of confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 68–69. (
- 2009) Confidential inquiries into maternal deaths: modifications and adaptations in Ghana and Indonesia. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 106, 80–84. , , et al. (
- LewisG ed. The Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH). Saving Mothers’ Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer - 2003-2005. The Seventh Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. 2007. London, CEMACH.
- 2005) Enhancing the survival of mothers and their newborn in Tanzania. Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden. (
- 2003) Community-based monitoring of safe motherhood in the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81, 87–94. , , et al. (
- 2002) Exploring the causes of and risk factors for maternal deaths in a rural Nigerian referral hospital. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 22, 626–629. , , & (
- 2002) Maternal mortality in northern rural Tanzania: assessing the completeness of various information sources. Acta obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica 81, 301–307. , , et al. (
- 2005) Maternal mortality in health institutions with emergency obstetric care facilities in Enugu State, Nigeria 25. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 25, 569–574. , , & (
- 2005) Critical incident audit and feedback to improve perinatal and maternal mortality and morbidity. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. , , & (
- 2006) Improving emergency obstetric care in Mozambique: the story of Sofala. International journal of gynaecology and obstetrics 94, 190–201. , , et al. (
- Saving Mothers 2005–2007 Fourth Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in South Africa. Expanded Executive Summary. 2008. South Africa, National Committee on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths (NCCEMD).
- 2009) The relationship between birth with a health professional and maternal mortality in observational studies: a review of the literature. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 1523–1533. & (
- Tanzanian Ministry of Health (2006) The National Road Map Strategic Plan To Accelerate The Reduction of Maternal and Newborn Deaths In Tanzania (2006–2015). Tanzanian Ministry of Health, Tanzania.
- 1994) Too far to walk: maternal mortality in context. Social Science & Medicine 38, 1091–1110. & (
- United Nations (2000). United Nations Millennium Declaration. United Nations’ General Assembly resolution 55/2. United Nations, New York.
- 1997) Operational factors affecting maternal mortality in Tanzania. Health policy and planning 12, 50–57. , , & (
- 2001) Holding up a mirror: changing obstetric practice through criterion-based clinical audit in developing countries. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 74, 119–130. , , et al. (
- 2005) A criteria-based audit of the management of severe pre-eclampsia in Kampala, Uganda. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 91, 292–297. , , , & (
- World Health Organization (2005) The World Health Report: 2005. Make every mother and child count. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization & Dept. of Reproductive Health and Research (2004) Beyond the numbers. Reviewing maternal deaths and complications to make pregnancy safer. World Health Organization, Geneva.