Informed decision-making before changing to RDT: a comparison of microscopy, rapid diagnostic test and molecular techniques for the diagnosis and identification of malaria parasites in Kassala, eastern Sudan
Article first published online: 25 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 15, Issue 12, pages 1442–1448, December 2010
How to Cite
Osman, M. M. M., Nour, B. Y. M., Sedig, M. F., De Bes, L., Babikir, A. M., Mohamedani, A. A. and Mens, P. F. (2010), Informed decision-making before changing to RDT: a comparison of microscopy, rapid diagnostic test and molecular techniques for the diagnosis and identification of malaria parasites in Kassala, eastern Sudan. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 15: 1442–1448. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02659.x
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 25 OCT 2010
- 1991) Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Chapman & Hall, London. (
- 1992) A simple method to detect Plasmodium falciparum directly from blood samples using the polymerase chain reaction. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 46, 416–426. , , , , & (
- 1990) Rapid and simple method for purification of nucleic acids. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 28, 495–503. , , , , & (
- 1992) Demonstration by the polymerase chain reaction of mixed Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax infections undetected by conventional microscopy. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 86, 609–612. , , & (
- 2005) Artesunate plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Sudan. Malaria Journal 4, 41. , , et al. (
- 2010) Non-malarial fever among pregnant women in Medani Hospital, Sudan: diagnostic uncertainty and over treatment with quinine. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 3, 392–394. , , & (
- FIND/WHO (2010) Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test Performance: Results of WHO Product Testing of Malaria RDTs Round 2 (2009). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2009) Test characteristics of the SD FK80 Plasmodium falciparum/Plasmodium vivax malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non endemic setting. Malaria Journal 8, 262. , , , , & (
- 2007) Field evaluation of SD bioline rapid malaria diagnostic test among asymptomatic malaria infected children in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Research Journal of Parasitology 2, 39–44. , , & (
- 2010) Usefulness of the paralens fluorescent microscope adaptor for the identification of mycobacteria in both field and laboratory settings. Open Microbiology Journal 4, 30–33. , , , , & (
- 2007) The cost-effectiveness of parasitological diagnosis for malaria-suspected patients in an era of combination treatment. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77, 128–132. , & (
- 2007) Is molecular biology the best alternative for diagnosis of malaria to microscopy? A comparison between microscopy, antigen detection and molecular tests in rural Kenya and urban Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 238–244. , , , , & (
- 2009) Use of Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDTs) to monitor the efficacy of anti-malaria therapy in Gezira, Sudan – a prospective assessor-blind comparative study. The International Journal of Medicine 2, 57–62. , , , , & (
- 2006) Reducing the burden of childhood malaria in Africa: the role of improved diagnostics. Nature S1, 39–48. , , , , & (
- 2006) Efficacy of artemether-lumfantrine (Co-Artesiane) suspension in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria among children under 5 years in eastern Sudan. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 5, 551–555. , , & (
- 2009) Comparison of surveillance methods applied to a situation of low malaria prevalence at rural sites in The Gambia and Guinea Bissau. Malaria Journal 8, 274. , , et al. (
- 1993) Identification of the four human malaria parasite species in field samples by the polymerase chain reaction and detection of a high prevalence of mixed infections. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 58, 283–292. , , , & (
- Sudanese Red Cressent (2003) Proposal on various projects. Report of a Sudanese Red Crescent – Kassala State Branch.
- 2009) Malaria diagnosis: a brief review. Korean Journal of Parasitology 47, 93–102. , , & (
- 1999) Detection and species determination of malaria parasites by PCR: comparison with microscopy and with ParaSight-F and ICT malaria Pf tests in a clinical environment. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 37, 1269–1273. , , , & (
- 2007) A review of malaria diagnostic tools: microscopy and rapid diagnostic tests (RDT). American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77, 119–127. , , , & (
- World Health Organization (2006) The Use of Rapid Malaria Diagnostic Tests, 2nd edn. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2010) Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria, 2nd edn. WHO, Geneva.