Disease profile of children under 5 years attending primary health care clinics in a high HIV prevalence setting in South Africa
Article first published online: 23 NOV 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 42–52, January 2011
How to Cite
Horwood, C., Butler, L. M., Vermaak, K., Rollins, N., Haskins, L., Nkosi, P., Neilands, T. B. and Qazi, S. (2011), Disease profile of children under 5 years attending primary health care clinics in a high HIV prevalence setting in South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 42–52. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02672.x
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 23 NOV 2010
- 2004) Effectiveness and cost of facility-based Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) in Tanzania. Lancet 364, 1583–1594. , , et al. (
- 2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet 371, 417–440. , , et al. (
- 2003) What are the leading causes of death among South African Children? MRC Policy Brief No 3, Medical Research Council, Cape Town, South Africa. http://www.mrc.ac.za/policybriefs/childmortality.pdf (accessed 2 November 2010). , & (
- 2008) Every death counts: use of mortality audit data for decision making to save the lives of mothers, babies, and children in South Africa. Lancet 371, 1294–1304. , , et al. (
- 2005) Programmatic pathways to child survival: results of a multi-country evaluation of Integrated Management of Childhood Illness. Health Policy and Planning 20 (Suppl. 1), i5–i17. , , , & (
- 2009a) Saving the lives of South Africa’s mothers, babies, and children: can the health system deliver? Lancet 374, 835–846. , , , & (
- 2009b) Achieving the health Millennium Development Goals for South Africa: challenges and priorities. Lancet 374, 1023–1031. , , et al. (
- Department Of Health: South Africa (2004) State of the Province: Limpopo. National Department of Health, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Department Of Health: South Africa (2007) HIV and AIDS and STI Strategic Plan for South Africa 2007–2011. National Department of Health, Pretoria, South Africa.
- 2005) Health system constraints to optimal coverage of the prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission programme in South Africa: lessons from the implementation of the national pilot programme. African Health Sciences 5, 213–218. , & (
- 2009) The HIV-exposed, uninfected African child. Tropical Medicine & International Health 14, 276–287. (
- 2006) Rates and causes of child mortality in an area of high HIV prevalence in rural South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health 11, 1841–1848. , , , & (
- 2006) Deaths at Red Cross Children’s Hospital, Cape Town 1999–2003 – a study of death notification forms. South African Medical Journal 96, 964–968. , , & (
- 2009a) An evaluation of the quality of IMCI assessments among IMCI trained health workers in South Africa. PLoS ONE 4, e5937. , , , , & (
- 2009b) Paediatric HIV management at primary care level: an evaluation of the integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI) guidelines for HIV. BMC Pediatrics 9, 59. , , , , & (
- 2009c) Routine checks for HIV in children attending primary health care facilities in South Africa: attitudes of nurses and child caregivers. Social Science and Medicine 65, 1249–1259. , , , & (
- 2005) Exploring socio-economic conditions and poor follow-up rates of HIV-exposed infants in Johannesburg, South Africa. AIDS Care 17, 466–470. , & (
- 1986) Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models. Biometrika 73, 13–22. & (
- 2007) Child mortality according to maternal and infant HIV status in Zimbabwe. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 26, 519–526. , , et al. (
- 2007) Childhood pneumonia mortality – a permanent global emergency. Lancet 370, 285–289. (
- 2004) Mortality of infected and uninfected infants born to HIV-infected mothers in Africa: a pooled analysis. Lancet 364, 1236–1243. , , , , & (
- 2005) Improving facility-based care for sick children in Uganda: training is not enough. Health Policy and Planning 20 (Suppl. 1), i58–i68. , , & (
- 2007) Surveillance of mother-to-child transmission prevention programmes at immunization clinics: the case for universal screening. AIDS 21, 1341–1347. , , , & (
- 2009) A multifaceted intervention to improve health worker adherence to integrated management of childhood illness guidelines in Benin. American Journal of Public Health 99, 837–846. , , , , & (
- 2004) PMTCT from research to reality – results from a routine service. South African Medical Journal 94, 289–292. , , , & (
- South African Department Of Health (2002) The Road to Health Chart: guidelines for health workers. Available at: http://www.doh.gov.za/search/index.html (accessed 20 April 2010).
- South African Department Of Health (2008) The National HIV and Syphillis Seroprevalence Survey 2007. National Department of Health, Pretoria. Available at: http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/index.html (accessed 20 April 2010).
- South African Department Of Health & Medical Research Council (2007) South African Demographic and Health Survey, 2003. Pretoria. Available at: http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/index.html (accessed 20 April 2010).
- Statistics South Africa (2009) Mid-year Population Estimates 2009. Statistics South Africa, Pretoria.. http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0302/P03022009.pdf (accessed 2 November 2010).
- 1999) Integrated approach to child health in developing countries. Lancet 354 (Suppl. 2), SII16–SII20. (
- United Nations(2000) United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2, Session 55. United Nations Millennium Declaration on 8 September 2000.
- 2004) Demographic and Statistical Overview: 1994–2004. Department of Social Development, Pretoria, South Africa. & (
- 2004) Achieving universal coverage with health interventions. Lancet 364, 1541–1548. , , & (
- 2006) Are health interventions implemented where they are most needed? district uptake of the integrated management of childhood illness strategy in Brazil, Peru and the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 792–801. , , et al. (
- 2008) Early antiretroviral therapy and mortality among HIV-infected infants. New England Journal of Medicine 359, 2233–2244. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2002) IMCI Adaptation Guide, WHO, Geneva. World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/imci_adatation/en/index.html (accessed 20 April 2010).
- World Health Organization (2008) IMCI Chart Booklet for High HIV Settings. WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/9789241597388/en/index.html (accessed 20 April 2010).
- World Health Organization, United Nations Children's Fund, UNAIDS(2009) Towards universal access: scaling up priority HIV/AIDS interventions in the health sector. Progress report 2009. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2000) Paediatric HIV infection in a rural South African district hospital. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 46, 107–110. , , & (
- 1986) Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes. Biometrics 42, 121–130. & (
- 1999) Paediatric hospital admissions at a South African urban regional hospital: the impact of HIV, 1992–1997. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 19, 135–142. , & (