Pilot randomized trial of nutritional supplementation in patients with tuberculosis and HIV–tuberculosis coinfection receiving directly observed short-course chemotherapy for tuberculosis
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 699–706, June 2011
How to Cite
Sudarsanam, T. D., John, J., Kang, G., Mahendri, V., Gerrior, J., Franciosa, M., Gopal, S., John, K. R., Wanke, C. A. and Muliyil, J. (2011), Pilot randomized trial of nutritional supplementation in patients with tuberculosis and HIV–tuberculosis coinfection receiving directly observed short-course chemotherapy for tuberculosis. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 699–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02761.x
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
- 2008) Nutritional supplements for people being treated for active tuberculosis. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews 4, CD006086. , , & (
- 2003) Effect of iron supplementation on mild to moderate anaemia in pulmonary tuberculosis. British Journal of Nutrition 90, 541–550. , , , , & (
- 2004) A randomized trial of multivitamin supplements and HIV disease progression and mortality. New England Journal of Medicine 351, 23–32. , , et al. (
- 1989) Nutritive Value of Indian Foods, 2nd edn. National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad. , & , revised and updated by Narasinga Rao BS, Deosthale YG, Pant KC. (
- 2009) Tuberculosis and nutrition. Lung India 26, 9–16. , , , & (
- Indian Council for Medical Research (1990) Nutrient Requirements & Recommended Dietary Allowances for Indians. Indian Council for Medical Research, New Delhi.
- 2002a) Social aspects of patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Indonesia. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine & Public Health 33, 338–345. , , , , & (
- 2002b) A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of vitamin A and zinc supplementation in persons with tuberculosis in Indonesia: effects on clinical response and nutritional status. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 75, 720–727. , , et al. (
- 1996) Prediction of body cell mass, fat-free mass, and total body water with bioelectrical impedance analysis: effects of race, sex, and disease. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64(Suppl. 3), 489S–497S. , , & (
- 1981) Manual of Socioeconomic Scale. Manasayan, New Delhi. (
- 2009) Drivers of tuberculosis epidemics: the role of risk factors and social determinants. Social Science & Medicine 68, 2240–2246. , , , & (
- 1989) Use of bioelectric impedance analysis to assess human body composition. In: Nutritional Assessment of an Individual (eds GELivingstone) Food and Nutrition Press, Trumbull, CT, pp. 189–204. (
- 2009) Food incentives to improve completion of tuberculosis treatment: randomised controlled trial in Dili, Timor-Leste. British Medical Journal 339, b4248. , & (
- 1999) Nutritional Aspects of HIV Infection. Oxford University Press, London. (
- 1999) Tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus infection, and malnutrition in Burundi. Nutrition 15, 289–293. , , et al. (
- 2004) Randomized controlled trial of nutritional supplementation in patients with newly diagnosed tuberculosis and wasting. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 80, 460–465. , , & (
- 2005) The effect of micronutrient supplementation on treatment outcome in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized controlled trial in Mwanza, Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health 10, 826–832. , , , & (
- Revised National TB Control Programme (2005) Technical and Operational Guidelines for Tuberculosis Control. Central TB Division. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
- 2001) Severity of human immunodeficiency virus infection is associated with decreased phase angle, fat mass and body cell mass in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis infection in Uganda. Journal of Nutrition 131, 2843–2847. , , et al. (
- 2008) Nutritional status of persons with HIV infection, persons with HIV infection and tuberculosis, and HIV-negative individuals from southern India. Clinical Infectious Diseases 46, 946–949. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2004) TB/HIV Clinical manual. WHO/HTM/TB/2004.329.
- World Health Organization (2009) Global tuberculosis control: a short update to the 2009 report. WHO/HTM/TB/2009.426.
- World Health Organization (2010) Guidelines for intensified tuberculosis case-finding and isoniazid preventive therapy for people living with HIV in resource-constrained settings. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/tb/9789241500708/