Relative and absolute addressability of global disease burden in maternal and perinatal health by investment in R&D
Article first published online: 7 APR 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 662–668, June 2011
How to Cite
Fisk, N. M., McKee, M. and Atun, R. (2011), Relative and absolute addressability of global disease burden in maternal and perinatal health by investment in R&D. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 662–668. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02778.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 7 APR 2011
- 2005) Cost effectiveness analysis of strategies for maternal and neonatal health in developing countries. BMJ 331, 1107. , , et al. (
- 2010). Keeping The Promise: a Forward-Looking Review to Promote an Agreed Action Agenda to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals by 2015. Report of The Secretary-General A/64/665. United Nations, New York. Available at: http://www.preventionweb.net/english/professional/publications/v.php?id=13841 (accessed 26 March 2011). (
- 2007). A–Z of Medicines Research. The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry, London. (
- 2008) Global public health: a scorecard. Lancet 372, 1988–1996. & (
- 2005) Can the world afford to save the lives of 6 million children each year? Lancet 365, 2193–2200. , , , , & (
- 2009) Folic acid supplementation and spontaneous preterm birth: adding grist to the mill? PLoS Medicine 6, 1000077. , & (
- 2006) Lancet Maternal Survival Series steering group. Strategies for reducing maternal mortality: getting on with what works. Lancet 368, 1284–1299. & (
- 2005) National maternal mortality ratio in Egypt halved between 1992–93 and 2000. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 462–471. , , et al. (
- 2007) Determinants of reduction in maternal mortality in Matlab, Bangladesh: a 30-year cohort study. Lancet 370, 1320–1328. , , , , & (
- 2007) Research challenges to improve maternal and child survival. Lancet 369, 1240–1243. , , & (
- 2008) Market failure and the poverty of new drugs in maternal health. PLoS Medicine 5, 22. & (
- 2009) Systematic analysis of research underfunding in maternal and perinatal health. BJOG 116, 347–356. & (
- 2007) Women deliver for development. Lancet 370, 1347–1357. , & (
- Global Health Opportunities 2006. (2006) Update on Priorities and U.S. Investments. Available at: http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/lib.nsf/db900sid/DPAS-6MMMFH/$file/global%20health%20opportunities.pdf?openelement (accessed 25 May 2010).
- 2010) Maternal mortality for 181 countries, 1980–2008: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 5. Lancet 3735, 1581–1582. , , et al. (
- 2006) ‘Incorporating deaths near the time of birth into estimates of the global burden of disease’. In: Global Burden of Disease and Risk Factors, Vol. 6 (eds ADLopez, CDMathers, MEzzati, DTJamison & CJMurray) Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 427–463. , , , & (
- 2009) 3.2 million stillbirths: epidemiology and overview of the evidence review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9(Suppl. 1), S2. , , , , & (
- 2007) Maternal mortality in Yunnan, China: recent trends and associated factors. BJOG 114, 865–874. , , , & (
- 2002) The Delphi Method: Techniques and Applications. New Jersey Instutute of Techology, viewed 25 May 2010, http://is.njit.edu/pubs/delphibook/. & (
- 2006a) Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet 367, 1747–1757. , , , & (
- 2006b) Global burden of disease and risk factors. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , & (
- 2009, Global health actors claim to support health system strengthening: is this reality or rhetoric? PLoS Medicine 6, e1000059. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000059. , &
- 1998) Consensus development methods, and their use in clinical guideline development. Health Technology Assessment Vol 2, No 3 Available at: http://www.hta.ac.uk/project/944.asp (accessed 26 March 2011). , , et al. (
- Partnership for Maternal Newborn and Child Health (2007) Deliver Now Campaign. Available at: http://www.who.int/pmnch/activities/delivernow/en/ (accessed 25 May 2010).
- PLoS Editors (2008) Drug development for maternal health cannot be left to the whims of the market. PLoS Medicine 5, 140.
- 2001) The relationship between attendance at birth and maternal mortality rates: an exploration of United Nations’ data sets including the ratios of physicians and nurses to population, GNP per capita and female literacy. Journal of Advanced Nursing 34, 445–455. & (
- 2006) Stillbirth rates: delivering estimates in 190 countries. Lancet 367, 1487–1494. , , , & (
- United Nations (2010) United Nations Secretary General Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health. Available at: http://www.un.org/sg/globalstrategy.shtml (accessed 21 December 2010).
- United Nations Secretariat (2007) The Millenium Development Goals Report Available at: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/mdg2007.pdf (accessed 25 May 2010).
- 2010) Tracking maternal mortality declines in Mongolia between 1992 and 2007: the importance of collaboration. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 161–240. , , et al. (