Between HIV diagnosis and initiation of antiretroviral therapy: assessing the effectiveness of care for people living with HIV in the public primary care service in Cape Town, South Africa
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 11, pages 1384–1391, November 2011
How to Cite
Scott, V., Zweigenthal, V. and Jennings, K. (2011), Between HIV diagnosis and initiation of antiretroviral therapy: assessing the effectiveness of care for people living with HIV in the public primary care service in Cape Town, South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 1384–1391. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02842.x
- Issue online: 6 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2011
- 2005) Health information systems: the foundations of public health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization [online] 83, 578–583 [Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2626318/pdf/16184276.pdf, accessed 10 July 2011]. & (
- 2006) Rapid scale-up of a community-based HIV treatment services. South African Medical Journal 96, 315–322. , , , & (
- 2008) Interventions to address maternal, newborn, and child survival: what differences can integrated primary health care strategies make? Lancet 372, 972–989. , , et al. (
- 2006) Implementing positive prevention in Africa: HIV prevention for a threatened continent. JAMA 296, 855–858 (doi: 10.1001/jama.296.7.855) http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/296/7/855. , & (
- 2010) Financing equitable access to antiretroviral treatment in South Africa. BMC Health Services Research 10(Suppl. 1), S2. & (
- 2008) Assessing efficiency and costs of scaling up HIV treatment. AIDS 22, S35–S42. doi: 10.1097/01.aids.0000327621.24232.71. , & (
- 2005) HIV/AIDS: global trends, global funds and delivery bottlenecks. Globalization and Health 1, 13. & (
- 2009) The health and health system of South Africa: historical roots of current public health challenges. Lancet 374, 817–834. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60951-X. , , , & (
- 2006) Do prevention interventions reduce HIV risk behaviours among people living with HIV? A meta-analytic review of controlled trials. AIDS 20, 143–157. , , et al. (
- 2006) Scaling up of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a rural district of Malawi: an effectiveness assessment. Lancet 367, 1335–1342. , , et al. (
- 2006) Standardization of health information systems in South Africa: the challenge of local sustainability. Information Technology for Development 12, 225–239. doi: 10.1002/itdj.20044. , & (
- 2008) Loss to follow-up and mortality amongst pregnant women referred to a community clinic for antiretroviral treatment. AIDS 22, 1679–1681. , , , & (
- 2007) Continuum of care for maternal, newborn, and child health: from slogans to service delivery. Lancet 370, 1358–1369. , , , , & (
- 1999) HIV prevention and the positive population. International Journal of STD and AIDS 10, 141–150. (
- 1986) A methodology for monitoring and evaluation of coverage with essential primary health care interventions. PhD Thesis, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore. (
- 2010) Linkage to HIV care and antiretroviral therapy in Cape Town, South Africa. PLoS ONE 5, e13801. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013801. , , et al. (
- 2006) Determinants of mortality and non-death losses from an antiretroviral treatment service in South Africa: implications for program evaluation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 43, 770–776. , , , , & (
- 2008) Early mortality among adults accessing antiretroviral treatment programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 22, 1897–1908. , , , & (
- 2011) TB and HIV integration: obstacles and possible solutions to implementation in South Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 16(4), 431–438. & (
- 2007) A national survey of the impact of rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy on health-care workers in Malawi: effects on human resources and survival. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 551–557. , , et al. (
- 2006) Why and how to invest in neonatal health. Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine 111, 37–47. , & (
- 2002) Evaluating Quality of STI Management at a Regional Level Using the District STI Quality of Care Assessment Tool DISCA. Reproductive Health Research Unit/Health Systems Trust, Durban. (
- 2008) Electronic tuberculosis surveillance systems: a tool for managing today's TB programs. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 12, S8–S16. , & (
- 2008) Essential Prevention and Care Interventions for Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV in Resource-limited Settings. WHO, Geneva. (
- Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PMNCH) (2006) Conceptual and institutional framework. Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/pmnch/activities/cif/conceptualandinstframework.pdf [Accessed 6 June 2007].
- Provincial Government of the Western Cape (PGWC) (2009) HIV and Syphilis Prevalence in the Western Cape: Results of the 2008 HIV & Syphilis Antenatal Provincial and Sub District Surveys. 2009. PGWC, Cape Town.
- 2010) Scaling up integration: development and results of a participatory assessment of HIV/TB services, South Africa. Health Research Policy and Systems 8, 23 [Available at: http://www.health-policy-systems.com/content/8/1/23, Accessed 15 November 2010]. , , , , & (
- 2005) Antiretroviral therapy in a thousand patients with AIDS in Haiti. New England Journal of Medicine 353, 2325–2334. , , et al. (
- 2008) Hypertension and diabetes: poor care for patients at community health centres. South African Medical Journal 98, 618–622. , , et al. (
- 2006) Rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy at primary care sites in Zambia. JAMA 296, 782–793 (doi: 10.1001/jama.296.7.782) http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/296/7/782. , , et al. (
- 2004) Overcoming health-systems constraints to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. Lancet 364, 900–906. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2009) Fact sheet on SubSaharan Africa. Available at: http://data.unaids.org/pub/FactSheet/2009/20091124_FS_SSA_en.pdf [Accessed 3 February 2010].
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) & World Health Organisation (WHO) (2001) Local Monitoring and Evaluation of the Integrated Prevention of Mother to Child HIV Transmission in Low-income Countries. UNICEF/WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2003) Treating 3 million by 2005: making it happen. WHO, Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/3by5/Publications/en/3by5StrategyMakingItHappen.pdf [Accessed 12 March 2010].
- World Health Organization (2005) World Health Report 2005: Make Every Mother and Child Count. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2009) Towards universal access: scaling up priority HIV/AIDS interventions in the health sector : progress report 2009. WHO, Geneva. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/tuapr_2009_en.pdf on 2 Feb 2010 at 17h00.