Burial surveillance detected significant reduction in HIV-related deaths in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 12, pages 1483–1489, December 2011
How to Cite
Araya, T., Tensou, B., Davey, G. and Berhane, Y. (2011), Burial surveillance detected significant reduction in HIV-related deaths in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 1483–1489. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02867.x
- Issue online: 15 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2011
- 2004) Lay diagnosis of causes of death for monitoring AIDS mortality in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Tropical Medicine & International Health 9, 178–186. , , et al. (
- 2000) The changing impact of HIV/AIDS on Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi from 1988/89 through 1992 to 1997. AIDS 14, 1625–1631. , , , , & (
- 2009) Rapid scale-up of ART in Ethiopia: successes and system-wide effects. PLoS Medicine 6, http://www.plosmedicin.org (accessed 29 December 2010). , , , & (
- 2007) Setting international standards for verbal autopsy. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 85, 569–648. , , et al. (
- 2006) Scaling up HIV/AIDS evaluation. The Lancet 367, 79–82. , & (
- 2008) HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia – An Epidemiological Synthesis. HIV/AIDS Prevention & Control Office and Global AIDS Monitoring & Evaluation Team, Addis Ababa. http://www.worldbank.org/AIDS (accessed 15 November 2010). , , , & (
- 2007) Who needs cause-of-death data? PLoS Medicine 4, e333. (
- 1998) Verbal autopsies for adult deaths: their development and validation in a multicentre study. Tropical Medicine & International Health 3, 436–446. , , et al. (
- 1998) Disease burden in sub-Saharan Africa: what should we conclude in the absence of data. The Lancet 351, 208–210. , , & (
- CSA (1995) The 1994 Population and Housing Census of Ethiopia. Results for Addis Ababa. Central Statistical Authority (CSA), Office of Population and Housing Census Commission, Addis Ababa.
- CSA (2010) The 2007 Population and Housing Census of Ethiopia: Results for Addis Ababa City Administration. Statistical Report. Central Statistical Agency (CSA), Population Census Commission, Addis Ababa.
- 2005) Surveillance methods to monitor the impact of HIV therapy programmes in resource-constrained countries. AIDS 19(Suppl. 2), S31–S37. , , & (
- 2006) Assessing a new Approach to verbal autopsy interpretation in a rural Ethiopian community: the InterVA Model. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 204–210. , , et al. (
- 2009) Adult mortality and antiretroviral treatment roll-out in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87, 754–762. , , , , & (
- 2008) Population-level effect of HIV on adult mortality and early evidence of reversal after introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. Lancet 371, 1603–1611. , , et al. (
- 2006) Antiretroviral therapy at a district hospital in Ethiopia prevents death and tuberculosis in a cohort of HIV patients. AIDS Research and Therapy doi: 10.1186/1742-6405-3-10; http://www.aidsresearchtherapy.com/content/3/1/10 (accessed 20 April 2011). , & (
- 1996) Verbal autopsy as a tool for diagnosing HIV-related adult deaths in rural Uganda. International Journal of Epidemiology 25, 679–684. , , , , & (
- 2005) The use of simplified verbal autopsy in identifying causes of adult death in a predominantly rural population in Ethiopia. BMC Public Health 5, 58. & (
- 2005) Counting the dead and what they died from: an assessment of the global status of cause of death data. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 171–177. , , , & (
- MOH/HAPCO (2006) AIDS in Ethiopia. Sixth Report.
- MOH/HAPCO (2007) Accelerated access to HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment in Ethiopia Road Map for 2007–2008. Health Programs Department, HAPCO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- MOH/HAPCO (2009) Monthly HIV care and ART update. http://www.etharc.org/arvinfo/index.htm (accessed 28 June 2010).
- 2007) Estimating population cause-specific mortality fractions from in-hospital mortality: validation of a new method. PLoS Medicine 4, e326. , , , & (
- 2010) Mortality reduction associated with HIV/AIDS care and antiretroviral treatment in rural Malawi: evidence from registers, coffin sales and funerals. PLoS ONE 5, e10452. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010452. , , et al. (
- 2004) The empirical evidence for the impact of HIV on adult mortality in the developing world: data from serological studies. AIDS 18(Suppl. 2), S9–S17. & (
- 2009) Steep declines in population-level AIDS mortality following the introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. AIDS 23, 511–518. , , et al. (
- 2003) Mortality impact of AIDS in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. AIDS 17, 1209–1216. , , , , & (
- 2009) ART Scale-Up in Ethiopia: Success and Challenges Federal HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. , , et al. (
- 2006) Verbal autopsy: current practices and challenges. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 239–245. , & (
- 2008) Estimated HIV Trends and Program Effects in Botswana. PLoS ONE 3(11), e3729. http://www.plosone.org (accessed 20 December 2010). , , , & (
- WHO/UNAIDS/UNICEF (2008) Epidemiological Fact Sheet on HIV and AIDS, Ethiopia, 2008 update.
- WHO: ICD-10 (1993) International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. World Health Organization, Geneva.