Ownership and use of insecticide-treated nets in Oromia and Amhara Regional States of Ethiopia two years after a nationwide campaign
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 16, Issue 12, pages 1552–1561, December 2011
How to Cite
Deressa, W., Fentie, G., Girma, S. and Reithinger, R. (2011), Ownership and use of insecticide-treated nets in Oromia and Amhara Regional States of Ethiopia two years after a nationwide campaign. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 16: 1552–1561. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02875.x
- Issue published online: 15 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2011
- 2003) Spatial and temporal variations of malaria epidemic risk in Ethiopia: factors involved and implications. Acta Tropica 87, 331–340. , , , & (
- 2003) Factors affecting use of permethrin-treated bed nets during a randomized controlled trial in western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68 (Suppl. 4), 137–141. , , et al. (
- 1991) The effect of insecticide-treated bed nets on mortality of Gambian children. Lancet 337, 1499–1502. , , et al. (
- 2009) Factors associated with use and non-use of mosquito nets owned in Oromia and Amhara Regional States, Ethiopia. Malaria Journal 8, 264. , & (
- Central Statistical Agency (2008) The 2007 National Census Report for Ethiopia. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Central Statistical Agency and ORC Macro (2006) Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2005. Central Statistical Agency and ORC Macro, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Calverton, MD, USA.
- 1995) Mortality and morbidity from malaria in Gambian children after introduction of an impregnated bednet programme. Lancet 345, 479–483. , , et al. (
- 2005) Community participation in malaria epidemic control in highland areas of southern Oromia, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Development 19, 3–10. , & (
- 2006) Interpreting household survey data intended to measure insecticide-treated bednet coverage: results from two surveys in Eritrea. Malaria Journal 5, 36. , , & (
- 2009) Assessment of insecticide treated bednet use among children and pregnant women across 15 countries using standardized national surveys. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 80, 209–214. , , , & (
- 2008) Integrating an NTD with one of “The Big Three”: combined malaria and trachoma survey in Amhara Region of Ethiopia. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2, e197. , , et al. (
- 2008) Community factors affecting long-lasting impregnated mosquito net use for malaria control in Sri Lanka. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 102, 1081–1088. , , , & (
- 2006) Compliance of young children with ITN protection in rural Burkina Faso. Malaria Journal 5, 70. , , , & (
- 2010) Long-lasting insecticide-treated net usage in eastern Sierra Leone – the success of free distribution. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 480–488. , , et al. (
- 2006) Malaria. In: Epidemiology and Ecology of Health and Disease in Ethiopia (eds Y Berhane, D Haile-Mariam & H Kloos) Shama Books, Addis Ababa, pp. 556–576. , , , & (
- 1982) Cluster sampling to assess immunization coverage: a review of experience with a simplified sampling method. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 60, 253–260. & (
- 2010) Knowledge of malaria and its association with malaria related behaviors – results from the Malaria Indicator Survey, Ethiopia, 2007. PLoS One 5, e11692. , , et al. (
- 2010) Malaria indicator survey 2007, Ethiopia: coverage and use of major malaria prevention and control interventions. Malaria Journal 9, 58. , , et al. (
- 2003) Monitoring mosquito net coverage for malaria control in Africa: possession vs. use by children under 5 years. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 693–703. , , , , & (
- 2007) Quick wins versus sustainability: options for the up-scaling of insecticide treated nets. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77, 222–226. , , & (
- 2006) Rolling out insecticide treated nets in Eritrea: examining the determinants of possession and use in malarious zones during the rainy season. Tropical Medicine & International Health 11, 824–833. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health (2006) National Five-Year Strategic Plan for Malaria Prevention and Control in Ethiopia: 2006–2010. Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Ministry of Health (20062007) Health and Health Related Indicators. Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa.
- Ministry of Health (2008) Ethiopia National Malaria Indicator Survey 2007. Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- 2004) Child coverage with mosquito nets and malaria treatment from population-based surveys in African countries: a baseline for monitoring progress in Roll Back Malaria. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71, 232–238. , , , , & (
- 2005) Malaria epidemics in the highlands of Ethiopia. East African Medical Journal 82, 186–192. , , et al. (
- 2008) Utilization of insecticide-treated nets by under-five children in Nigeria: assessing progress towards the Abuja targets. Malaria Journal 7, 145. , & (
- 2009) Free distribution of insecticide treated bed nets to pregnant women in Kinshasa: an effective way to achieve 80% use by women and their newborns. Tropical Medicine & International Health 14, 20–28. , & (
- 2003) Efficacy of permethrin-treated bed nets in the prevention of mortality in young children in an area of high perennial malaria transmission in western Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68, 23–29. , , et al. (
- Roll Back Malaria, MEASURE Evaluation, World Health Organization & UNICEF (2004) Guidelines for Core Population Coverage Indicators for Roll Back Malaria: To Be Obtained from Household Surveys. MEASURE Evaluation, Calverton, MD.
- 2008) Malaria prevalence and mosquito net coverage in Oromia and SNNPR regions of Ethiopia. BMC Public Health 8, 321. , , et al. (
- 2008) Insecticide-treated net ownership and usage in Niger after a nationwide integrated campaign. Tropical Medicine & International Health 13, 827–834. , , et al. (
- 2010) Assessing bed net use and non-use after long-lasting insecticidal net distribution: a simple framework to guide programmatic strategies. Malaria Journal 9, 133. , , et al. (
- WHO (2000) African Summit on Roll Back Malaria, Abuja, Nigeria. WHO/CDS/RBM/200017. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2006) Malaria Vector Control and Personal Protection. WHO Technical Report Series No 936. WHO, Geneva.
- 2007) Determinants of bed net use in The Gambia: implications for malaria control. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 76, 830–836. , , , & (
- 2004) An indigenous malaria transmission in the outskirts of Addis Ababa, Akaki Town and its environs. Ethiopian Journal of Health Development 18, 2–7. , & (