Predictors of antibiotic use in African communities: evidence from medicines household surveys in five countries
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 211–222, February 2012
How to Cite
Vialle-Valentin, C. E., LeCates, R. F., Zhang, F., Desta, A. T. and Ross-Degnan, D. (2012), Predictors of antibiotic use in African communities: evidence from medicines household surveys in five countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 211–222. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02895.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011
- 2008) A descriptive review of the methodologies used in household surveys on medicine utilization. BMC Health Services Research 8, 222. , , , & (
- 2010) Health alliance for prudent prescribing, yield and use of antimicrobial drugs in the treatment of respiratory tract infections (HAPPY AUDIT). BMC Family Practice 11, 29. , , et al. (
- 2010) Diagnosis, microbial epidemiology, and antibiotic treatment of acute otitis media in children: a systematic review. JAMA 304, 2161–2169. , , et al. (
- 2010) Malaria in children. Lancet 375, 1468–1481. , , & (
- 2010) Strengthening the monitoring of progress on the health-related MDGs in the African region. The African Health Monitor 11, 3–9. , , & (
- 2006) European surveillance of antimicrobial consumption (ESAC): outpatient antibiotic use in Europe. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 58, 401–407. , , et al. (
- 2009) Medicines use in primary care in developing and transitional countries. WHO, Geneva. , , et al. (
- International Network for Rational Use of Drugs, WHO (1993) How to investigate drug use in health facilities: Selected drug use indicators. WHO, Geneva.
- 2008) Antibiotic use and health-seeking behaviour in an underprivileged area of Peru. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 434–441. , , et al. (
- 2004) Antibacterial Drug Resistance. [Background document] Priority Medicines for Europe and the World “A Public Health Approach to Innovation”. WHO, Geneva. , & (
- 2010) The race against drug resistance. Center for Global Development, Washington DC. , & (
- 2009) Curbing the menace of antimicrobial resistance in developing countries. Harm Reduction Journal 6, 31. , & (
- 2005) Antimicrobial resistance in developing countries. Part I: recent trends and current status. Lancet Infectious Diseases 5, 481–493. , , et al. (
- 2003) Improving antibiotic use in low-income countries: an overview of evidence on determinants. Social Science and Medicine 57, 733–744. & (
- 2006) Integrated management of the sick child. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries (eds D Jamison, J Breman, A Measham, M Claeson, D Evans & P Jha et al. ) World Bank, Washington DC: Chapter 63. , , & (
- 2010) Are interventions for improving the quality of services provided by specialized drug shops effective in sub-Saharan Africa? A systematic review of the literature International Journal for Quality in Health Care 22, 316–323. & (
- 2004) Response bias in survey-based measures of household consumption. Economics Bulletin, 3, 1–12. (
- World Health Organization (2001) WHO Global Strategy for Containment of Antimicrobial Resistance. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2007a) WHO Operational package for assessing, monitoring and evaluating country pharmaceutical situations. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2007b) WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, 15th edn. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2008) Manual for the Household Survey to Measure Access and Use of Medicines (Draft). WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2009) Community-Based Surveillance of Antimicrobial Use and Resistance in Resource-Constrained Settings: Report on five pilot projects. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011) The World Medicines Situation. WHO, Geneva.
- 2007) Evaluation of a national programme to reduce inappropriate use of antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections: effects on consumer awareness, beliefs, attitudes and behaviour in Australia. Health Promotion International 22, 53–64. , , , , & (