Mortality from infectious diseases among refugees and immigrants compared to native Danes: a historical prospective cohort study
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 223–230, February 2012
How to Cite
Norredam, M., Olsbjerg, M., Petersen, J. H., Bygbjerg, I. and Krasnik, A. (2012), Mortality from infectious diseases among refugees and immigrants compared to native Danes: a historical prospective cohort study. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 223–230. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02901.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
- 2010) Tuberculosis on the move. Lancet 375, 2127–2129. , , & (
- 2004) Ethnic inequalities in age- and cause-specific mortality in the Netherlands. International Journal of Epidemiology 33, 1112–1119. , , et al. (
- 2004) Compulsory screening of immigrants for tuberculosis and HIV. BMJ 328, 298–300. (
- 1999) The return of tuberculosis. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 34, 139–146. , , , & (
- 2008) Inspecting asylum seekers upon entry – a medico-ethical complex. European Journal of Public Health 18, 552–553. , , , & (
- 2003) Twenty-year survey of the epidemiology of hepatitis B in Denmark: effect of immigration. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 35, 260–264. , , & (
- 2004) Globalization of infectious diseases: the impact of migration. Clinical Infectious Diseases 38, 1742–1748. & (
- 1982) Boat refugees from Vietnam. Experience and results of health examinations after arrival in Denmark. P.Ugeskr Laeger. 144, 2435–2439. , , & (
- 2002) Persistent high incidence of tuberculosis in immigrants in a low-incidence country. Emerging Infectious Diseases 8, 679–684. , , , , & (
- National Board of Health (2002) Guidelines for Healthcare Regarding Infectious Diseases for Refugees and Immigrants Upon Arrival in Denmark. The National Board of Health, Copenhagen.
- 2010) Neglected tropical diseases outside the tropics. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 4 (7) 762. , , , , & (
- 2006) Access to health care for asylum seekers in the European Union – a comparative study of country policies. European Journal of Public Health 16, 286–290. , & (
- 2007) Cancer incidence among 1st generation migrants compared to native Danes--a retrospective cohort study. European Journal of Cancer 43, 2717–2721. , , & (
- 2008) Differences in stage of disease between migrant women and native Danish women diagnosed with cancer: results from a population-based cohort study. European Journal of Cancer Prevention 17, 185–190. , , & (
- 2010) Excess use of coercive measures in psychiatry among migrants compared with native Danes. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 121, 143–151. , , & (
- 1998) Low overall mortality of Turkish residents in Germany persists into a second generation: merely a healthy migrant effect? Tropical Medicine and International Health 3, 279–303. , , & (
- Statens Serum Institut (2006). EPI-News. 2005 – Part I. Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen.
- Statistics Denmark (2010) Immigrants in Denmark. Statistics Denmark, Copenhagen.
- 2006) Differences in avoidable mortality between migrants and the native Dutch in The Netherlands. BMC Public Health 6, 78. , , & (
- The Danish Immigration Service (2004) Key Figures on Migration for 2003. The Danish Immigration Service, Copenhagen.
- The Ministry of Refugee, Immigrant and Integration Affairs (2009) Key Figures on Migration for 2010 The Ministry of Refugee, Immigrant and Integration Affairs, Copenhagen.
- The Ministry of Refugee, Immigrant and Integration Affairs (2010) Key Figures on Migration for 2009. The Ministry of Refugee, Immigrant and Integration Affairs, Copenhagen.
- 2009) HIV-related admissions to a district general hospital in the U.K.: a single centre study. Clinical Medicine 9, 333–337. , , , & (
- United Nations (2008) Trends in total migrant stock: the 2008 revision. http://esa.un.org/migration (accessed on 4 March, 2011).
- 2010) Screening and early treatment of migrants for chronic hepatitis B virus infection is cost-effective. Gastroenterology 138, 522–530. , , et al. (
- 2009) Aids mortality in African migrants living in Portugal: evidence of large social inequalities. Sex Transmitted Infections 85, 427–431. , , et al. (
- World Health Organisation (2003) List of Memberstates by WHO Region and Mortality Stratum. World Health Reports. pp. 182–184.