Preliminary enquiry into the availability, price and quality of malaria rapid diagnostic tests in the private health sector of six malaria-endemic countries
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 147–152, February 2012
How to Cite
Albertini, A., Djalle, D., Faye, B., Gamboa, D., Luchavez, J., Mationg, M. L., Mwangoka, G., Oyibo, W., Bennett, J., Incardona, S. and Lee, E. (2012), Preliminary enquiry into the availability, price and quality of malaria rapid diagnostic tests in the private health sector of six malaria-endemic countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 147–152. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02904.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
- ACTwatch (2008) ACTwatch evidence for malaria medicines policy: generic outlet study design. http://www.actwatch.info/resources/docs_generic.asp (accessed 18 October 2011).
- 2010) Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality in 2008: a systematic analysis. Lancet 375, 1969–1987. , , et al. (
- 1989) Home treatment of febrile children with antimalarial drugs in Togo. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 67, 695–700. , , , & (
- 2011) Moving towards in-depth knowledge on the private health sector in low- and middle-income countries. Health Policy and Planning 26(Suppl. 1), i1–i3. , & (
- 2011) Malaria rapid diagnostic kits: quality of packaging, design and labelling of boxes and components and readability and accuracy of information inserts. Malaria Journal 10, 39. , , , , & (
- 2004) Retail supply of malaria-related drugs in rural Tanzania: risks and opportunities. Tropical Medicine and International Health 9, 655–663. , , et al. (
- 2008) Improving community health worker use of malaria rapid diagnostic tests in Zambia: package instructions, job aid and job aid-plus-training. Malaria Journal 7, 160. , , , , & (
- 2006) Malaria rapid diagnostic tests in tropical climates: the need for a cool chain. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 74, 750–754. , , , & (
- 2010) The feasibility of introducing rapid diagnostic tests for malaria in drug shops in Uganda. Malaria Journal 9, 367. , , , , & (
- 1999) Maternal responses to childhood fevers: a comparison of rural and urban residents in coastal Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 4, 836–845. , , & (
- 2011) Private versus public strategies for health service provision for improving health outcomes in resource-limited settings. Global Health Sciences. San Francisco, University of California, San Francisco, Department for International Development (DFID). , , et al. et al. (
- 2009) Focusing on quality patient care in the new global subsidy for malaria medicines. PLoS Medicine 6, e1000106. , , , & (
- 1994) The role of drug delivery systems in health care: the case of self- medication. African Journal of Health Sciences 1, 42–48. (
- 1998) The use of formal and informal services for antenatal care and malaria treatment in rural Uganda. Health Policy and Planning 13, 94–102. , & (
- 2009) Malaria treatment perceptions, practices and influences on provider behaviour: comparing hospitals and non-hospitals in south-east Nigeria. Malaria Journal 8, 246. , , , , & (
- 1992) Primary care training for patent medicine vendors in rural Nigeria. Social Science and Medicine 35, 1477–1484. & (
- 2006) The role of private drug vendors as malaria treatment providers in selected malaria endemic areas of Sri Lanka. Journal of Vector Borne Diseases 43, 58–65. , , , & (
- 2007) Minimising human error in malaria rapid diagnosis: clarity of written instructions and health worker performance. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 101, 9–18. , , et al. (
- Roll Back Malaria Procurement and Supply Chain Working Group and Medicines for Malaria Venture (2009) Tracking progress in scaling-up diagnosis and treatment for Malaria. http://www.rbm.who.int/partnership/wg/wg_procurementsupply/docs/ACT_RDTscaleUpAssessment_MMVRBMaugust2010.pdf) (accessed 18 October 2011).
- 2009) Utilization of public or private health care providers by febrile children after user fee removal in Uganda. Malaria Journal 8, 45. , , , & (
- 2009) Distribution of artemisinin-based combination therapies through private-sector channels – lessons from four country case studies. Consultative Forum on AMFm—the Affordable Medicines Facility-malaria, Resources for the Future. Washington, DC. , , , , & (
- The Global Fund (2010) Consultation on the economics and financing of universal access to parasitological confirmation of malaria. http://www.theglobalfund.org/documents/amfm/AMFm_EconFinanceDiagnostics_Report_en/ (accessed 18 October 2011).
- WHO (2010a) Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria, 2nd edn. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2010b) World malaria report.
- WHO, TDR & FIND (2008) Methods Manual for Laboratory Quality Control Testing of Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests, Version 5. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO-Western Pacific Regional Office (WHO-WPRO), USAID | DELIVER PROJECT, Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), Roll Back Malaria Partnership & President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) (2009) Transporting, storing, and handling malaria rapid diagnostic tests in health clinics.