Can sputum collection practices for tuberculosis improve laboratory diagnosis of pneumonic plague in developing countries?
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 231–234, February 2012
How to Cite
Boothby, E., Shako, J. C. and Bertherat, E. (2012), Can sputum collection practices for tuberculosis improve laboratory diagnosis of pneumonic plague in developing countries?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 231–234. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02905.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2011
- 1983) Contamination of specimen container surfaces during sputum collection. Journal of Clinical Pathology 36, 479–481. & (
- 1971) The Non-value of sputum culture in the diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumonia. The American Review of Respiratory Diseases 103, 845–848. (
- 2011) Lessons learned about pneumonic plague diagnosis from two outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Emerging Infectious Diseases 7, 8–84. , , et al. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2006). Direct Smear Microscopy Training Package. Available at: http://www.phppo.cdc.gov/dls/ila/acidfasttraining/ (accessed 3 August 2011).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2011). Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tb/education/corecurr/pdf/corecurr_all.pdf(accessed 17 October 2011).
- 1998) F1 Antigenaemia in bubonic plague patients, a marker of gravity and efficacy of therapy. Transactions of the Royal Society of Medicine and Hygiene 92, 572–573. , , et al. (
- 2003) Development and testing of a rapid diagnostic test for bubonic and pneumonic plague. The Lancet 361, 211–216. , , et al. (
- 1997) Multidrug resistance in Yersinia pestis mediated by a transferable plasmid. New England Journal of Medicine 337, 677–680. , , et al. (
- 1977) Misinformation from sputum cultures without microscopic examination. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 6, 518–527. , & (
- 2004) The value of proper sputum collection instruction in detection of acid-fast bacillus. Kekkaku 79, 33–37. , , et al. (
- International Council of Nurses. (2008) TB Guidelines for Nurses in the Care and Control of Tuberculosis and Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis, 2nd edn. International Council of Nurses, Geneva.
- International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (IUATLD). (2000) Management of Tuberculosis: a Guide For Low Income Countries, 5th edn. IUATLD, Paris.
- 2007) Improvement of tuberculosis case detection and reduction of discrepancies between men and women by simple sputum-submission instructions: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. The Lancet 369, 1955–1960. , , et al. (
- 2005) Informing the TB suspect for sputum sample collection and communicating Laboratory results in Nicaragua: a neglected process in tuberculosis case finding. Salud Publica Mexicana 47, 303–307. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (1998). Laboratory services in tuberculosis control. Available at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/dls/ila/documents/lstc2.pdf (accessed 16 October 2011)..
- World Health Organization (1999). Plague manual: epidemiology, distribution, surveillance and control. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/plague/WHO_CDS_CSR_EDC_99_2_EN/en/ (accessed 1 August 2011).
- World Health Organization (2000). Laboratory manual of plague diagnostic tests.Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/plague/WHO_CDS_CSR_EDC_00_2_EN/en/ (accessed 1 August 2011).
- World Health Organization (2006) International meeting on preventing and controlling plague: the old calamity still has a future. Weekly Epidemiological Record 81, 273–284.
- World Health Organization (2010) Human plague: review of regional morbidity and mortality 2004–2009. Weekly Epidemiological Record 85, 37–48.