Assessing the impact of a school-based water treatment, hygiene and sanitation programme on pupil absence in Nyanza Province, Kenya: a cluster-randomized trial
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 380–391, March 2012
How to Cite
Freeman, M. C., Greene, L. E., Dreibelbis, R., Saboori, S., Muga, R., Brumback, B. and Rheingans, R. (2012), Assessing the impact of a school-based water treatment, hygiene and sanitation programme on pupil absence in Nyanza Province, Kenya: a cluster-randomized trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 380–391. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02927.x
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2011
- 2007) Impact of asthma and air pollution on school attendance of primary school children: are they at increased risk of school absenteeism? Journal of Asthma 44, 249–252. , & (
- 2010) Evaluation of the role of school children in the promotion of point-of-use water treatment and handwashing in schools and households–Nyanza Province, Western Kenya, 2007. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 82, 664–671. , , , , & (
- 2007) A cluster-randomized controlled trial evaluating the effect of a handwashing-promotion program in Chinese primary schools. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 76, 1166–1173. , , et al. (
- 2010) Estimating the global distribution and disease burden of intestinal nematode infections: adding up the numbers–a review. International Journal for Parasitology 40, 1137–1144. (
- 2007) Interventions to improve water quality for preventing diarrhoea: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal 334, 782. , , , & (
- 2010) Interventions to improve disposal of human excreta for preventing diarrhoea. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews 6, CD007180. , , et al. (
- 2003) Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: a systematic review. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 3, 275–281. & (
- 2001) Does use of an instant hand sanitizer reduce elementary school illness absenteeism? The Journal of Family Practice 50, 64. (
- 1985) Interventions for the control of diarrhoeal diseases among young children: improving water supplies and excreta disposal facilities. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 63, 757–772. , & (
- 2005) Water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions to reduce diarrhoea in less developed countries: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 5, 42–52. , , , , & (
- 2008) Vengeance Reignites Kenyan City. New York Times. New York Times Company, New York. (
- 2002) The effect of a comprehensive handwashing program on absenteeism in elementary schools. American Journal of Infection Control 30, 217–220. , & (
- 2000) Socio-Economic Differences in Health, Nutrition, and Population in Kenya. Country Reports on HNP and Poverty Washington, DC, HPN/Poverty Thematic Group of the World Bank. , , , & (
- 1999) Evaluation designs for adequacy, plausibility and probability of public health programme performance and impact. International Journal of Epidemiology 28, 10–18. , & (
- 2000) Effect of hand sanitizer use on elementary school absenteeism. American Journal of Infection Control 28, 340–346. , , , & (
- 2003) The use of primary/national school absenteeism as a proxy retrospective child health status measure in an environmental pollution investigation. Journal of the Royal Institute of Public Health 117, 417–423. (
- 2008) An interdisciplinary model of school absenteeism in youth to inform professional practice and public policy. Educational Psychology Review 20, 257–282. (
- Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) & ICF MACRO (2010) Kenya Demographic and Health Survey 2008-09. Calverton, Maryland, KNBS and ICF Macro.
- 1996) Evidence of student attendance as an independent variable in education production functions. Journal of Educational Research 89, 155–162. (
- 2004) A systematic review of the effectiveness of antimicrobial rinse-free hand sanitizers for prevention of illness-related absenteeism in elementary school children. BioMed Central Public Health 4, 50. & (
- 2004) Worms: identifying impacts on education and health in the presence of treatment externalities. Econometrica 72, 159–217. & (
- 2004) Healthy hands: use of alcohol gel as an adjunct to handwashing in elementary school children. Journal of School Nursing 20, 161–167. & (
- 2009) Mandatory handwashing in elementary schools reduces absenteeism due to infectious illness among pupils: a pilot intervention study. American Journal of Infection Control 37, 820–826. (
- 2008) The impact of a school-based safe water and hygiene programme on knowledge and practices of students and their parents: Nyanza Province, Western Kenya, 2006. Epidemiology & Infection 136, 80–91. , , et al. (
- 2008) A literature review of the non-health impacts of sanitation. Waterlines 27, 48–61. & (
- 2006) Handwashing and risk of respiratory infections: a quantitative systematic review. Tropical Medicine and International Health 11, 258–267. & (
- 2003) A strategic approach to tackling school absenteeism and truancy: the PSCC scheme. Educational Studies 29, 351–371. (
- Republic of Kenya Ministry of Education (2008) National School Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Strategy 2008-2015. Republic of Kenya Ministry of Education, Nairobi.
- 2006) Beyond the millennium development goals: public health challenges in water and sanitation. Global Public Health 1, 31–48. , & (
- 2008) Reducing absenteeism from gastrointestinal and respiratory illness in elementary school students: a randomized, controlled trial of an infection-control intervention. Pediatrics 121, e1555–e1562. , & (
- UNICEF (1994) Evaluation of the Use and Maintenance of Water Supply and Sanitation System in Primary Schools. UNICEF, Dhaka.
- UNICEF (2004) Millennium Development Goals – Midterm Assessment Report. UNICEF, New York.
- UNICEF (2010) Raising Clean Hands: Advancing Learning, Health, and Participation Through WASH in Schools. UNICEF, New York.
- United Nations (2010) The Millennium Development Goals Report. UN, New York.
- 2006) Constructing socio-economic status indices: how to use principal components analysis. Health Policy Plan 21, 459–468. & (
- 2001) Reduction of illness absenteeism in elementary schools using an alcohol-free instant hand sanitizer. Journal of School Nursing 17, 258–265. , , & (
- WHO & UNICEF (2010) Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-water: 2010 Update. WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation. WHO & UNICEF, Geneva.