Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Patterns of uptake of HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa in the pre-treatment era
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages e26–e37, August 2012
How to Cite
Cremin, I., Cauchemez, S., Garnett, G. P. and Gregson, S. (2012), Patterns of uptake of HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa in the pre-treatment era. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: e26–e37. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02937.x
- Issue online: 30 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
- 2003) Attitudes to HIV voluntary counselling and testing among mineworkers in South Africa: will availability of antiretroviral therapy encourage testing? AIDS Care 15, 665–672. , , et al. (
- 2003) A serostatus-based approach to HIV/AIDS prevention and care in Africa. Lancet 362, 1847–1849. , & (
- Demographic and Health Surveys (1996) Basic documentation – 6. Sampling manual. http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/DHSM4/DHS_III_Sampling_Manual.pdf .
- 2005) Factors associated with self-reported HIV testing among men in Uganda. AIDS Care 17, 153–165. & (
- 2006) Utilization of voluntary counseling and testing services in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. AIDS Care 18, 446–455. & (
- Macro International (2007) AIDS Indicator Survey: HIV Testing Manual MEASURE DHS Calverton. Macro International, , USA.
- 2009) Who has access to counseling and testing and anti-retroviral therapy in Malawi – an equity analysis. International Journal for Equity in Health 8, 13. , , , & (
- 2005) Voluntary HIV counseling and testing acceptance, sexual risk behavior and HIV incidence in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS 19, 503–511. , & (
- Measure DHS (2009) http://www.measuredhs.com/ .
- 2007) The utilization of testing and counseling for HIV: a review of the social and behavioral evidence. American Journal of Public Health 97, 1762–1774. & (
- 2009) Refusal bias in HIV prevalence estimates from nationally representative seroprevalence surveys. AIDS 23, 621–629. & (
- 2004) DHS Comparative Reports. The DHS Wealth Index. http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/CR6/CR6.pdf . & (
- 2006). Guide to DHS Statistics. http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/DHSG1/Guide_DHS_Statistics.pdf . & (
- 2007) Voluntary counselling and testing: uptake, impact on sexual behaviour, and HIV incidence in a rural Zimbabwean cohort. AIDS 21, 851–860. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2001). The Impact of Voluntary Counselling and Testing: a Global Review of the Benefits and Challenges. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- UNAIDS and WHO (2007) Guidance on Provider-Initiated HIV Testing and Counselling in Health Facilities. UNAIDS and WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2006) Routine HIV testing in botswana: a population-based study on attitudes, practices, and human rights concerns. PLoS Medicine 3, e261. , , et al. (
- WHO, UNAIDS & UNICEF (2010) Towards Universal Access: Scaling up priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector. Progress Report 2010. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/2010progressreport/en/index.html.
- 2008) Uptake of HIV voluntary counselling and testing services in rural Tanzania: implications for effective HIV prevention and equitable access to treatment. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 319–327. , , et al. (