Low mortality risk but high loss to follow-up among patients in the Tanzanian national HIV care and treatment programme
Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 497–506, April 2012
How to Cite
Somi, G., Keogh, S. C., Todd, J., Kilama, B., Wringe, A., van den Hombergh, J., Malima, K., Josiah, R., Urassa, M., Swai, R. and Zaba, B. (2012), Low mortality risk but high loss to follow-up among patients in the Tanzanian national HIV care and treatment programme. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 497–506. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2011.02952.x
- Issue online: 26 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2012
- 2008) Antiretroviral therapy and early mortality in South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86(9), 678–687. , , , et al. (
- 2006) Mortality of HIV-1-infected patients in the first year of antiretroviral therapy: comparison between low-income and high-income countries. Lancet 367(9513), 817–824. , , , et al. (
- 2009a) Mortality of HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: comparison with HIV-unrelated mortality. PLoS Medicine 6(4), e1000066. , , , et al. (
- 2008) Early loss of HIV-infected patients on potent antiretroviral therapy programmes in lower-income countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86(7), 559–567. , , , et al. (
- 2009b) Mortality of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral treatment programmes in resource-limited settings: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 4(6), e5790. , & (
- 2008) Five-year outcomes of initial patients treated in Botswana’s National Antiretroviral Treatment Program. AIDS 22(17), 2303–2311. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Outcome assessment of decentralization of antiretroviral therapy provision in a rural district of Malawi using an integrated primary care model. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 90–97. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Temporal changes in programme outcomes among adult patients initiating antiretroviral therapy across South Africa, 2002–2007. AIDS 24(14), 2263–2270. , , , et al. (
- 2011) Correcting mortality for loss to follow-up: a nomogram applied to antiretroviral treatment programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS Medicine 8(1), e1000390. , , , et al. (
- 2008) Electronic medical record systems, data quality and loss to follow-up: survey of antiretroviral therapy programmes in resource-limited settings. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86(12), 939–947. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Patient retention in antiretroviral therapy programs up to three years on treatment in sub-Saharan Africa, 2007–2009: systematic review. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15(Suppl. 1), 1–15. & (
- 2010) Strategies to improve patient retention on antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 70–75. , , & (
- 2010) Further benefits by early start of HIV treatment in low income countries: survival estimates of early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Research and Therapy 7(1), 3–11. , & (
- 2009) Adult clinical and immunologic outcomes of the national antiretroviral treatment program in Rwanda during 2004–2005. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 52(1), 49–55. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Prognosis of patients with HIV-1 infection starting antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: a collaborative analysis of scale-up programmes. Lancet 376(9739), 449–457. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Scale-up of a decentralized HIV treatment programme in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: does rapid expansion affect patient outcomes? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88(8), 593–600. , , , , & (
- NACP (2010) Report on the Care and Treatment of HIV in Tanzania 2010. National AIDS Control Programme, Dar es Salaam.
- 2008) Long-term immunologic response to antiretroviral therapy in low-income countries: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies. AIDS 22(17), 2291–2302. , , , et al. (
- 2009) Incidence and predictors of death, retention, and switch to second-line regimens in antiretroviral-treated patients in sub-Saharan African Sites with comprehensive monitoring availability. Clinical Infectious Diseases 48(1), 115–122. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Cost of using a patient tracer to reduce loss to follow-up and ascertain patient status in a large antiretroviral therapy program in Johannesburg, South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 98–104. & (
- StataCorp (2009) STATA/IC 11.1. StataCorp, College Station, TX, USA.
- TACAIDS, ZAC, National Bureau of Statistics, Office of the Chief Government Statistician, Macro International (2008). Tanzania HIV/AIDS and Malaria Indicator Survey 2007–08. TACAIDS, ZAC, NBS, OCGS, Macro International Inc., Dar es Salaam.
- 2010) Trends in retention on antiretroviral therapy in national programs in low-income and middle-income countries. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 54(4), 437–441. , , , , & (
- TRAC (2008) TRAC Report on the Evaluation of Clinical and Immunologic Outcomes from the National Antiretroviral Treatment Program in Rwanda, 2004–2005. Treatment and AIDS Research Centre, Republic of Rwanda.
- 2010) Early active follow-up of patients on antiretroviral therapy (ART) who are lost to follow-up: the ‘Back-to-Care’ project in Lilongwe, Malawi. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 82–89. , , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2010) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010. UNAIDS, Geneva.
- 2011) Correcting for mortality among patients lost to follow up on antiretroviral therapy in South Africa: a cohort analysis. PLoS One 6(2), e14684. , , , et al. (
- WHO (2010) Towards Universal Access: Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector: Progress Report 2010. World Health Organization, Geneva.