Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
The impact of antiretroviral treatment on mortality trends of HIV-positive adults in rural Uganda: a longitudinal population-based study, 1999–2009
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages e66–e73, August 2012
How to Cite
Kasamba, I., Baisley, K., Mayanja, B. N., Maher, D. and Grosskurth, H. (2012), The impact of antiretroviral treatment on mortality trends of HIV-positive adults in rural Uganda: a longitudinal population-based study, 1999–2009. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: e66–e73. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02841.x
- Issue online: 30 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
- 2010) Population-level reduction in adult mortality after extension of free anti-retroviral therapy provision into rural areas in Northern Malawi. PLoS ONE 5, e13499. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0013499 , , et al. (
- 2009) Treating our way out of the HIV pandemic: could we, would we, should we? Lancet 373, 9–11. & (
- 2009) Adult mortality and antiretroviral treatment roll-out in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87, 754–762. , , et al. (
- 2008) Population-level effect of HIV on adult mortality and early evidence of reversal after introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. Lancet 371, 1603–1611. , , et al. (
- 2012) Access to, and uptake of, antiretroviral therapy in a developing country with high HIV incidence: a population-based cohort study in rural Uganda. Tropical Medicine and International Health 17, e49–e57. , , et al. (
- 1996) Incidence of HIV-1 infection in adults and socio-demographic characteristics of seroconverters in a rural population in Uganda: 1990–1994. International Journal of Epidemiology 25, 1077–1082. , , , , & (
- 2006) Trends in antenatal HIV prevalence in urban Uganda associated with uptake of preventive sexual behaviour. Sexually Transmitted Infections 82(Suppl. 1), i36–i41. PMID:16581758 doi:10.1136/sti.2005.017111 , , et al. (
- 2002) Declining HIV-1 incidence and associated prevalence over 10 years in a rural population in south-west Uganda: a cohort study. Lancet 360, 41–46. , , et al. (
- 2004) Effect of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis on morbidity, mortality, CD4-cell count, and viral load in HIV infection in rural Uganda. Lancet 364, 1428–1434. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Uganda (2003) National Antiretroviral Treatment and Care. Guidelines for Adults and Children. Ministry of Health, Kampala.
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Uganda (2005) National Policy Guidelines for Cotrimoxazole Prophylaxis for People with HIV/AIDS. Ministry of Health, Kampala.
- 2003) Decline in the AIDS mortality and death rates in the Eurosida study: an observational study. Lancet 362, 22–29. , , et al. (
- 2009) Community engagement in health research: two decades of experience from a research project on HIV in rural Uganda. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 190–195. , , , , & (
- 2008) HIV prevalence and incidence are no longer falling in southwest Uganda: evidence from a rural population cohort 1989–2005. AIDS 22, 1641–1649. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2006) AIDS epidemic update. http://data.unaids.org/pub/epireport/2006/2006_epiupdate_en.pdf. Accessed 3 February 2011.
- UNAIDS (2008) Epidemiological fact sheet on HIV and AIDS. Uganda. 2008 update. http://www.who.int/globalatlas/predefinedReports/EFS2008/short/EFSCountryProfiles2008_ UG.pdf. Accessed 2 February 2010.
- UNAIDS (2010) Unaids report on global aids epidemic. http://www.unaids.org/documents/20101123_GlobalReport_em.pdf. Accessed 23 May 2011
- UNAIDS/WHO (2009) AIDS epidemic update December 2009. http://www.unaids.org/en/dataanalysis/epidemiology/2009aidsepidemicupdate. Accessed 3 February 2011.
- UNICEF (2008) The state of the world’s children. http://www.unicef.org/sowc08/docs/sowc08.pdf. Accessed 03 February 2011.
- 2007) HIV-1 disease progression and mortality before the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda. AIDS 21(Suppl. 6), S21–S29. , , , , & (
- World Health Organization (2006a). Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents. Recommendations for a public health approach (2006 revision). http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/artadultguidelines.pdf. Accessed 1 February 2011
- World Health Organization (2006b) Guidelines on co-trimoxazole prophylaxis for HIV-related infections among children, adolescents and adults in resource-limited settings. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/ctxguidelines.pdf. Accessed 3 February 2011.