Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Access to, and uptake of, antiretroviral therapy in a developing country with high HIV prevalence: a population-based cohort study in rural Uganda, 2004–2008
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages e49–e57, August 2012
How to Cite
Kazooba, P., Kasamba, I., Baisley, K., Mayanja, B. N. and Maher, D. (2012), Access to, and uptake of, antiretroviral therapy in a developing country with high HIV prevalence: a population-based cohort study in rural Uganda, 2004–2008. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: e49–e57. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02942.x
- Issue online: 30 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2012
- 2006) When to initiate HAART in sub-Saharan Africa? A South African cost-effectiveness study Antiviral Therapy 11, 63–72. , , et al. (
- 2004) Factors influencing acceptability of voluntary counseling and HIV-testing among pregnant women in Northern Tanzania. AIDS Care 16, 411–425. , & (
- Government of Uganda (2010) UNGASS Country progress report. Uganda, January 2008–December 2009. http://www.aidsuganda.org/Publications/UNGASS%20RPORT%202008_2009.pdf (accessed 1 February 2010).
- 2008) Population-level effect of HIV on adult mortality and early evidence of reversal after introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. Lancet 371, 1603–1611. , , et al. (
- 2011) How should access to antiretroviral treatment be measured? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 157–160. & (
- 2004) Access to antiretroviral therapy in Africa. BMJ 328, 241–242. & (
- 2010) Estimation of antiretroviral therapy coverage: methodology and trends. Current opinion in HIV and AIDS 5, 97–102. , , et al. (
- 2002) Declining HIV-1 incidence and associated prevalence over 10 years in a rural population in south-west Uganda: a cohort study. Lancet 360, 41–46. , , et al. (
- 1997) An HIV-1 natural history cohort and survival times in rural Uganda. AIDS 11, 633–640. , , et al. (
- 1994) HIV-1 incidence and HIV-1 associated mortality in a rural Ugandan population cohort. AIDS 8, 87–92. , , , & (
- 2009) Barriers to acceptance and adherence of antiretroviral therapy in urban Zambian women: a qualitative study. AIDS Care 21, 78–86. , , et al. (
- 2008) Assessment of equity in the uptake of anti-retrovirals in Malawi. Equinet discussion paper 58. available at website http://www.equinetafrica.org/bibl/docs/dis58finmuula.pdf & (
- 2009) Community engagement in HIV research: two decades of experience from a research project on HIV in rural Uganda. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 190–195. , , , , & (
- 1993) Algorithms for detecting antibodies to HIV results from a rural Ugandan Cohort. AIDS 7, 1057–1061. , , , , & (
- 2004) Natural history and mortality in HIV-positive individuals living in resource-poor settings: a literature review. Commissioned by UNAIDS. http://www.epidem.org/Publications/unaids%20HQ_03_463871%20final.pdf (accessed 1 February 2011). , & (
- 2008) HIV prevalence and incidence are no longer falling in southwest Uganda: evidence from a rural population cohort 1989–2005. AIDS 22, 1641–1649. , , et al. (
- Uganda AIDS Commission (2007) National HIV & AIDS Strategic Plan (2007/8–2011/12) http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_protect/---portray/---ilo_aids/documents/legal document/wcms_125553.pdf
- Uganda Ministry of Health (2003) National Antiretroviral Treatment and Care Guidelines for adults and children, 1st edition August 2003. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/m/abstract/Js16200e/
- Uganda STD/AIDS Control programme (2002) Trends in HIV prevalence and sex behaviour 1990–2000 in Uganda. http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102253576.html .
- UNAIDS/WHO (2009) AIDS Epidemic Update: December 2009. WHO, Geneva, http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2009/jc1700_epi_update_2009_en.pdf (accessed 1 February 2011).
- WHO/UNAIDS/UNICEF (2010) Towards universal access: scaling up priority HIV/AIDS interventions in the health sector. Progress report 2010. Geneva, World Health Organization, http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/2010progressreport/report/en/index.html (accessed 01 February 2011).
- World Health Organization (2006) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents. Recommendations for a public health approach (2006 revision) http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/artadultguidelines.pdf (accessed 1 February 2011).
- World Health Organization (2010) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents. Recommendations for a public health approach (2010 version) http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599764_eng.pdf (accessed 1 February 2011).
- 2012) Antiretroviral therapy uptake and coverage in four HIV community cohort studies in sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 17, e38–e48. , , et al. (
- 2012) Mortality and attrition among patients in the Tanzanian National HIV Care and Treatment Programme. Tropical Medicine and International Health 17, e3–e14. , , et al. (
- 2006) Acceptance of anti-retroviral therapy among patients infected with HIV and tuberculosis in rural Malawi is low and associated with cost of transport. PLoS ONE 1, e121. , , et al. (
- 2008). Duration from seroconversion to eligibility for antiretroviral therapy and from ART eligibility to death in adult HIV-infected patients from low and middle-income countries: collaborative analysis of prospective studies. Sexually transmitted infections 84,i31–i36. for the eligibility for ART in lower income countries (eART-linc) collaboration (