How twins differ: multiple pregnancy and the use of health care in the 2008 Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 637–645, May 2012
How to Cite
McDonald, A. M. and Campbell, O. M. R. (2012), How twins differ: multiple pregnancy and the use of health care in the 2008 Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 637–645. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02967.x
- Issue online: 19 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2012
- 2000) Twins In Jos Nigeria: a seven-year retrospective study. Medical Science Monitor 6, 945–950. , & (
- 2008) Frequency of twinning in southwest Nigeria. Indian Journal Of Human Genetics 14, 41. , & (
- 1993) Brutality to twins in south-eastern Nigeria: what is the existing situation? West African Journal of Medicine 12, 148. , , & (
- 1999) Does antenatal care make a difference to safe delivery? A study in urban Uttar Pradesh, India. Health Policy And Planning 14, 38. , & (
- 2006) Strategies for reducing maternal mortality: getting on with what works. The Lancet 368, 1284–1299. & (
- CEMACH (2009) Perinatal Mortality 2007. Confidential Enquiry Into Maternal And Child Health (CEMACH), London, UK.
- 1996) The outcome of multiple pregnancy. Human Reproduction 11, 110–120. (
- 1995) The strategy of risk approach in antenatal care: evaluation of the referral compliance. Social Science & Medicine 40, 529–535. , , , & (
- 2009) Still too far to walk: literature review of the determinants of delivery service use. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 9, 34. & (
- 2007) Maternal health in northern Nigeria—a far cry from ideal. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 114, 448–452. , , , & (
- 2003) Utilization of care during pregnancy in rural guatemala: does obstetrical need matter? Social Science & Medicine 57, 2447–2463. , & (
- 1998) Obstetric care in southern Tanzania: does it reach those in need? Tropical Medicine & International Health 3, 926–932. , & (
- 2000) Postneonatal and child mortality among twins in Southern and Eastern Africa. International Journal Of Epidemiology 29, 678. & (
- 1960) Twinning in Yoruba women. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 67, 981–984. & (
- 1989) Twin gestations: I. Antenatal care and complications. Obstetrics & Gynecology 74, 313–317. , & (
- 2004) Why do at-risk mothers fail to reach referral level? Barriers beyond distance and cost. African Journal of Reproductive Health 4, 100. , & (
- 2010) Births: Final Data for 2007. National Vital Statistics Reports. National Centre for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD, USA. , , et al. (
- 2010) A training need for rural primary care in Nigeria. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 30, 833–835. , , & (
- 2007) Use pattern of maternal health services and determinants of skilled care during delivery in Southern Tanzania: implications for achievement of MDG-5 targets. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 7, 29. , , et al. (
- National Population Commission (NPC) [Nigeria] and ICF Macro (2009) Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey, 2008. National Population Commission (NPC) [Nigeria] and ICF Macro, Abuja, Nigeria.
- National Population Commission (NPC) and ORC Macro (2004) Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey, 2003. National Population Commission (NPC) and ORC Macro, Calverton, MD.
- 1969) The frequency of twinning in a rural community in western Nigeria. Annals of Human Genetics 33, 41–44. (
- 2009) Access to obstetric ultrasonography in some rural settings in Nigeria: results of a sample survey. European Journal of Scientific Research 36, 246–250. & (
- Office of National Statistics (2010) Live births in England and Wales by characteristics of birth 2009 [Online]. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/birth1110.pdf [Accessed Nov 2010].
- 1980) Multiple births in Hausa women. BJOG: An International Journal Of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 87, 997–1004. & (
- 2008) 30 years after Alma-Ata: has primary health care worked in countries? The Lancet 372, 950–961. , , et al. (
- 2008) Innovative Health Research Group: the Nigeria health sector and human resource challenges. The Internet Journal of Health 8, 1. , , , , & (
- USAID. (2008) MCH Programme Description Nigeria [Online]. http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PDACN949.pdf. [Accessed Dec 2011].
- 2008) A population-based study of effect of multiple birth on infant mortality in Nigeria. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 8, 41. , & (
- 2000) Prenatal screening in rural Bangladesh: from prediction to care. Health Policy and Planning 15, 1. , , & (
- WHO/UNICEF/UNFPA (1997) Guidelines for Monitoring the Availability and use of Obstetric Services. UNICEF, New York, NY.