Unvaccinated children in years of increasing coverage: how many and who are they? Evidence from 96 low- and middle-income countries
Article first published online: 22 MAY 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 6, pages 697–710, June 2012
How to Cite
Bosch-Capblanch, X., Banerjee, K. and Burton, A. (2012), Unvaccinated children in years of increasing coverage: how many and who are they? Evidence from 96 low- and middle-income countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 697–710. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02989.x
- Issue published online: 22 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 22 MAY 2012
- 1998) Protecting the world’s children: the story of WHO’s immunisation programme. World Health Forum 19, 162–173. & (
- 2000) Using Immunisation Coverage Rates for Monitoring Health Sector Performance. HNP, Washington. & (
- 2011). Harmonisation of variables names prior to conducting statistical analyses with multiple datasets: an automated approach. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 11, 33 doi:10.1186/1472-6947-11-33. (
- 2009) Timing of children’s vaccinations in 45 low-income and middle-income countries: an analysis of survey data. Lancet 373, 1543–1549. & (
- 2005) Monitoring equity in immunisation coverage. Bulletin WHO 83, 384–391. , & (
- DHS Phase III (1996) Sampling Manual. DHS-III Basic Documentation. Macro International Inc, Calverton, Maryland.
- GAVI Alliance. Guidelines on country proposals for support for new and underused vaccines. May 2011.
- 1990) Reliability of mother as an informant with regard to immunisation. Indian Journal of Pediatrics 57, 588–590. , & (
- 2003) The diagnostic odds ratio: a single indicator of test performance. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 56, 1129–1135. , , , & (
- 2002) Mass media interventions: effects on health services utilisation. Cochrane Database Systematic Review (1): CD000389. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000389. , & (
- 2009) Gender and Immunisation. Overseas Development Institute, London. , & (
- 1998) The accuracy of mother’s reports of child vaccination: evidence from rural Egypt. Social Science and Medicine 46, 1205–1212. & (
- MEASURE-DHS. Demographic and health surveys. (http://www.measuredhs.com/start.cfm) (Accessed on May 2011).
- MEASURE-DHS. Demographic and Health Surveys. DHS Model questionnaires. http://www.measuredhs.com/What-We-Do/Survey-Types/DHS-Questionnaires.cfm (Accessed on April 2012).
- 2004) Children who have received no vaccines: who are they and where do they live? Pediatrics 114, 187–195. , & (
- StataCorp (2007). Stata Statistical Software: Release 10. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX.
- 1997) Errors and correlates in parental recall of child immunisations: effects on vaccination coverage estimates. Pediatrics 99, 1–5. , & (
- UNICEF (2005). Progress for children. A report card on immunisation. Number 3. 2005.
- UNICEF – Child info (2008). Monitoring the situation of children and women. MICS2. http://www.childinfo.org/mics2_datasets.html (Accessed on May 2011).
- UNICEF – Child info (2008). Multiple indicator cluster surveys. manual. seven: sampling detailsAppendix. http://www.childinfo.org/mics2_manual.html (Accessed on May 2011).
- UNICEF – Child info (2012). Monitoring the situation of children and women. MICS3. http://www.childinfo.org/mics3_surveys.html (Accessed on May 2011).
- United Nations. (2009) World Population Prospects: 2008 Revision, United Nations Population Division. Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, New York.
- 1992) Maternal recall error of child vaccination status in a developing nation. American Journal of Public Health 82, 120–122. & (
- 2008) Reaching every district (RED) approach: a way to improve immunisation performance. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 161–240. , & (
- WHO (1998) Module 11: Monitoring Immunization Coverage. Geneva, WHO.
- WHO (2008) Meeting of the immunisation Strategic Advisory Group of Experts, November 2007. Conclusions and recommendations. WER 1, 1–16.
- WHO (2009) WHO Vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Monitoring System, 2009 Global Summary. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2012). Global immunisation data December 2010. http://www.who.int/immunisation_monitoring/Global_Immunization_Data.pdf (Accessed on May 2011).
- WHO/SAGE. Immunization Vaccines and Biologicals. SAGE meeting of 27–29 October 2009. http://www.who.int/immunisation/sage/previous_october2009/en/index.html (Accessed on May 2011).