Change over time (2007–2009) in HIV preventive behaviours, evidence from two serial population-based surveys in rural Zimbabwe
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 7, pages 827–835, July 2012
How to Cite
Langhaug, L., Buzdugan, R., Copas, A., Dirawo, J., Benedict, C., Mundida, O., Manyenya, S., Woelk, G. and Cowan, F. (2012), Change over time (2007–2009) in HIV preventive behaviours, evidence from two serial population-based surveys in rural Zimbabwe. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 827–835. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02999.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2012
- 2002) School based HIV prevention in Zimbabwe: feasibility and acceptability of evaluation trials using biological outcomes. AIDS 16, 1673–1678. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12172089 . , & et al. (
- 2002) Supporting community efforts to assist orphans in Africa. The New English Journal of Medicine 346(24), 1907–1910. (
- 2006) Children who live in communities affected by AIDS. Lancet 367, 700–701. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16503473 . (
- 2006) HIV decline associated with behavior change in eastern Zimbabwe. Science 311, 664–666. , & et al. (
- 2010) HIV decline in Zimbabwe due to reductions in risky sex? Evidence from a comprehensive epidemiological review International Journal of Epidemiology 39(5), 1311–1323. , & et al. (
- 2011) Did national HIV prevention programs contribute to HIV decline in Eastern Zimbabwe? Evidence From a prospective community survey Sexually transmitted diseases 38, 475–482. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278627 [Accessed September 1, 2011]. , & et al. (
- 2006) Declines in HIV prevalence can be associated with changing sexual behaviour in Uganda, urban Kenya, Zimbabwe, and urban Haiti. Sexually Transmitted Infections 82 (Suppl. 1), S1–S8. , & et al. (
- 2011) A surprising prevention success: why did the HIV epidemic decline in Zimbabwe? PLoS Medicine 8, e1000414. , & et al. (
- 2009) Use of biological markers to compare the validity of two questionnaire delivery modes around reporting of sexual behaviours in rural Zimbabwean youth. In International Union Sexually Transmitted Infections World Congress. Cape Town, South Africa. , & (
- 2006) HIV prevalence and trends from data in Zimbabwe, 1997–2004. Sexually transmitted infections 82 (Suppl. 1), i42–i47. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2593074&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract [Accessed September 5, 2011]. , & et al. (
- 2006) Equity and health system strengthening in ART roll out: an analysis from literature review of experiences from east and southern Africa, EQUINET Discussion paper series 38 (series editor R Lowenson). Malawi. , & et al. (
- 2008) Sexual behavior and STI/HIV status among adolescents in rural Malawi: an evaluation of the effect of interview mode on reporting. Studies in Family Planning 39, 321–334. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2670342&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract . , , & (
- Ministry of Health & Child Welfare (2009). HIV Estimates Using ANC Surveillance Data. Ministry of Health & Child Welfare, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- 2009) Biomarker validation of reports of recent sexual activity: results of a randomized controlled study in zimbabwe. American Journal of Epidemiology 170, 918–924. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741042 . , & et al. (
- 2011) Local perceptions of the forms, timing and causes of behavior change in response to the AIDS epidemic in Zimbabwe. AIDS & Behavior 15(2), 487–498. , & et al. (
- 2008) Introduction: addressing the vulnerability of young women and girls to stop the HIV epidemic in southern Africa. AIDS 22(Suppl 4), S1–S3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19033751 . , , & (
- Zimbabwe Central Statistical Office & Macro International Inc. 2006. Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey 2005–2006. Zimbabwe Central Statistical Office & Macro International Inc., Calverton, MD, USA.
- Zimbabwe Central Statistical Office & Macro International Inc. 2010. Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey. Zimbabwe Central Statistical Office & Macro International Inc., Calverton, Maryland.
- Zimbabwe Ministry of Health and Child Welfare 2010. Zimbabwe National HIV and AIDS Estimates 2009. Zimbabwe Ministry of Health and Child Welfare, Harare, Zimbabwe.