The sexual behaviour of adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa: patterns and trends from national surveys
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 7, pages 796–807, July 2012
How to Cite
Doyle, A. M., Mavedzenge, S. N., Plummer, M. L. and Ross, D. A. (2012), The sexual behaviour of adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa: patterns and trends from national surveys. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 796–807. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03005.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2012
- 2007) Knowledge of correct condom use and consistency of use among adolescents in four countries in sub-Saharan Africa. African Journal of Reproductive Health 11, 197–220. , , , & (
- 2009) Inconsistencies in self-reporting of sexual activity among young people in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Adolescent Health 45, 595–601. , , & (
- 1990) Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychological Bulletin 108, 339–362. , , & (
- 2006) Sexual abstinence, contraception, and condom use by young African women: a secondary analysis of survey data. Lancet 368, 1788–1793. & (
- 2004) Measuring sexual behaviour in the era of HIV/AIDS: the experience of Demographic and Health Surveys and similar enquiries. Sexually Transmitted Infections 80(Suppl. 2), ii22–ii27. & (
- 2008) How young is “too young”? Comparative perspectives on adolescent sexual, marital, and reproductive transitions. Studies in Family Planning 39, 247–262. (
- 2009) Starting young: sexual initiation and HIV prevention in early adolescence. AIDS and Behavior 13, 100–109. (
- 2004) Sexual patterning and condom use among a group of HIV vulnerable men in Thika, Kenya. Sexually Transmitted Infections 80, 435–439. , , , & (
- 2008) Young people’s sexual partnerships in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: patterns, contextual influences, and HIV risk. Studies in Family Planning 39, 295–308. , & (
- 2004) Consistency in the reporting of sexual behaviour by adolescent girls in Kenya: a comparison of interviewing methods. Sexually Transmitted Infections 80, ii43–ii48. , & (
- 2007) Risks and benefits of multiple sexual partnerships: beliefs of rural Nigerian adolescent males. American Journal of Men’s Health 1, 197–207. & (
- 2010) Factors associated with consistent condom use among rural young women in South Africa. AIDS Care 22, 1379–1385. , , , & (
- 2008) Youth reproductive and sexual health. In: DHS Comparative Reports (ed. DHS). & (
- 2005) Growing Up Global: The Changing Transitions to Adulthood in Developing Countries: Executive Summary. In: (eds Countries., P. O. T. T. A. I. D., Committee on Population and Board on Children, Y., and Families & Education., D. O. B. A. S. S. A.) The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, pp. 1–14. (
- 2010) Concurrent partnerships as a driver of the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa? The evidence is limited. AIDS and Behavior 14, 17–24; discussion 25–8. & (
- 2010) Concurrent sexual partnerships and the HIV epidemics in Africa: evidence to move forward. AIDS and Behavior 14, 11–16; discussion 34–7. & (
- 2002) Trends and Differentials in Adolescent Reproductive Behavior in Sub-Saharan Africa. ORC Macro, Calverton, MD. & (
- 2006) Factors that shape young people’s sexual behaviour: a systematic review. Lancet 368, 1581–1586. & (
- 2005) The changing context of sexual initiation in sub-Saharan Africa. In: Policy Research Division- Working Papers (ed. Population Council) Population Council, New York, pp. 1–30. , & (
- 2009) Changes in HIV-Related Knowledge and Behaviors in Sub-Saharan Africa. DHS Comparative Reports No. 24. ICF Macro, Calverton, MD, USA. , , , & (
- 2010) Barking up the wrong evidence tree. Comment on Lurie & Rosenthal, “Concurrent partnerships as a driver of the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa? The evidence is limited”. AIDS and Behavior 14, 31–33; discussion 34–7. (
- 2004) Secretive females or swaggering males? An assessment of the quality of sexual partnership reporting in rural Tanzania. Social Science and Medicine 59, 299–310. , , , & (
- 2011) HIV prevention transformed: the new prevention research agenda. Lancet 378, 269–278. , , et al. (
- 2011) Young People’s Lives and Sexual Relationships in Rural Africa: Findings From a Large Qualitative Study in Tanzania. Lexington Books, Lanham, Maryland. & (
- 2010) Concurrent sexual partnerships do not explain the HIV epidemics in Africa: a systematic review of the evidence. Journal of the International AIDS Society 13, 34. & (
- 2006) Factors associated with self-efficacy for condom use and sexual negotiation among South African youth. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 43, 226–233. , , et al. (
- 2004) A critique of international indicators of sexual risk behaviour. Sexually Transmitted Infections 80(Suppl. 2), ii13–ii21. (
- 2009) Trends in age at first sex in Uganda: evidence from Demographic and Health Survey data and longitudinal cohorts in Masaka and Rakai. Sexually Transmitted Infections 85(Suppl. 1), i12–i19. , , , , & (
- 2006) Sexual behavior, psychosocial and knowledge differences between consistent, inconsistent and non-users of condoms: a study of female bar and hotel workers in Moshi, Tanzania. AIDS and Behavior 10, 405–413. , , et al. (
- The International Group on Analysis of Trends in HIV Prevalence and Behaviours in Young People in Countries Most Affected by HIV (2010) Trends in HIV prevalence and sexual behaviour among young people aged 15–24 years in countries most affected by HIV. Sexually Transmitted Infections 86(Suppl. 2), ii72–ii83.
- UNAIDS (2010) HIV: consensus indicators are needed for concurrency. Lancet 375, 621–622.
- United Nations (2001) UNGASS goals. Declaration of commitment on HIV/AIDS.
- United Nations (2011) Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and other groupings. http://millenniumindicators.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm#africa (accessed 9 June 2011).
- 2006) Sexual behaviour in context: a global perspective. Lancet 368, 1706–1728. , , et al. (
- WHO (2004) National AIDS Programmes: A Guide to Indicators for Monitoring and Evaluating National HIV/AIDS Prevention Programmes for Young People. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2007) Access to Health Services for Young People for Preventing HIV and Improving Sexual and Reproductive Health. WHO, Geneva.
- 2004) Age at first sex: understanding recent trends in African demographic surveys. Sexually Transmitted Infections 80(Suppl. 2), ii28–ii35. , , & (