Costs, effects and cost-effectiveness of breast cancer control in Ghana
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages 1031–1043, August 2012
How to Cite
Zelle, S. G., Nyarko, K. M., Bosu, W. K., Aikins, M., Niëns, L. M., Lauer, J. A., Sepulveda, C. R., Hontelez, J. A. C. and Baltussen, R. (2012), Costs, effects and cost-effectiveness of breast cancer control in Ghana. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1031–1043. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03021.x
- Issue published online: 30 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2012
- Adjuvant! Online. Decision making tools for health care professionals. http://www.adjuvantonline.com (accessed on 1 May 2010).
- 2006) Breast cancer in limited-resource countries: an overview of the Breast Health Global Initiative 2005 guidelines. The Breast Journal 12(Suppl 1), S3–S15. , , et al. (
- 2011) Optimisation of breast cancer management in low-resource and middle-resource countries: executive summary of the Breast Health Global Initiative consensus 2010. The Lancet Oncology 12, 387–398. , , et al. (
- 1998) The National Cancer Data Base 10-year survey of breast carcinoma treatment at hospitals in the United States. Cancer 83, 1262–1273. , , et al. (
- 2000) Findings from 752,081 clinical breast examinations reported to a national screening program from 1995 through 1998. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 92, 971–976. , & (
- 2011) The costs of breast cancer prior to and following diagnosis. The European Journal of Health Economics 12, 311–317. , , et al. (
- 2006) Disease control priorities in developing countries. In: Health Service Interventions for Cancer Control in Developing Countries, 2nd edn (eds D Jamison, J Breman, A Measham, G Alleyne, M Claeson, D Evans, P Jha, A Mills & P Musgrove) World Bank, Washington, DC, pp. 569–589. , , , & (
- 2009a) Profile of breast diseases at a self-referral clinic in Ghana. West African Journal of Medicine 28, 114–117. , , et al. (
- 2009b) Psychosocial aspects of breast cancer treatment in Accra, Ghana. East African Medical Journal 86, 348–353. , & (
- 2007) Comparing hospice and nonhospice patient survival among patients who die within a three-year window. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 33, 238–246. , , , & (
- 2007) Reducing by half the percentage of late-stage presentation for breast and cervix cancer over 4 years: a pilot study of clinical downstaging in Sarawak, Malaysia. Annals of Oncology 18, 1172–1176. , & (
- 2008) Setting up home-based palliative care in countries with limited resources: a model from Sarawak, Malaysia. Annals of Oncology 19, 2061–2066. , & (
- 2005) What should the detection rates of cancers be in breast screening programmes? British Journal of Cancer 92, 597–600. & (
- 2003) WHO Guide to Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. World Health Organization, Geneva. , , et al. (
- 1998) Ten-year risk of false positive screening mammograms and clinical breast examinations. New England Journal of Medicine 338, 1089–1096. , , et al. (
- 2000) Effectiveness of self-examination, palpation and mammography for the early detection of breast cancer: first results of the Munich Field Study, [in German]. Geburtsh Frauenheilk 60, 155–164. , , , & (
- 2005) Evaluation of current strategies and future priorities for improving health in developing countries. BMJ 331, 1457–1461. , , & (
- 2005) False-positive mammograms – can the USA learn from Europe? Lancet 365, 7–8. & (
- 2001) Diagnostic value of radiological breast imaging in a non-screening population. International Journal of Cancer 92, 616–618. , , & (
- 2009) National Evaluation of Breast Cancer Screening in the Netherlands 1990–2007. Twelfth evaluation report. National Evaluation Team for Breast cancer screening (NETB), Rotterdam. , & (
- Ghana Statistical Service (2010) Population Structure and demography. http://www.statsghana.gov.gh/. (accessed on 1 February 2011).
- 2012) Cost, effects and cost-effectiveness of strategies to combat breast, cervical and colorectal cancer in developing countries: a mathematical modelling study. BMJ 344, e614. , , , & (
- 2006) AJCC Cancer Staging Atlas Springer Inc., New York, NY. , , & (
- 2006) Costs and health effects of breast cancer interventions in epidemiologically different regions of Africa, North America, and Asia. The Breast Journal 12(Suppl 1), S81–S90. , , , & (
- 2011) Problem solving for breast health care delivery in low and middle resource countries (LMCs): consensus statement from the Breast Health Global Initiative. Breast 20(Suppl 2), S20–S29. , , et al. (
- 2002) Novel approaches to the management of bone metastases in patients with breast cancer. Seminars in Oncology 29, 134–144. (
- IARC (2008) World Cancer Report 2008. http://www.iarc.fr/en/publications/pdfs-online/wcr/ (accessed on 15 April 2011).
- 2002) Does aggressive local therapy improve survival in metastatic breast cancer? Surgery 132, 620–626; discussion 626–627. , & (
- 2007) Kerala, India: a regional community-based palliative care model. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 33, 623–627. (
- 2003) PopMod: a longitudinal population model with two interacting disease states. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 1, 6. , , et al. (
- 2008) Practical Applications for Clinical Breast Examination (CBE) and Breast Self-Examination (BSE) in Screening and Early Detection of Breast Cancer. Breast Care (Basel) 3, 17–20. (
- 1997) The Canadian National Breast Screening Study: update on breast cancer mortality. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs 3, 7–41. , , & (
- 2010) A cluster randomized, controlled trial of breast and cervix cancer screening in Mumbai, India: methodology and interim results after three rounds of screening. International Journal of Cancer 126, 976–984. , , et al. (
- 1998) Estimating the accuracy of screening mammography: a meta-analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 14, 143–153. , & (
- National Health Insurance Authority (2010) Annual Report. Accra: National Health Insurance Scheme. http://www.nhis.gov.gh/_Uploads/dbsAttachedFiles/8(1).pdf (accessed on January 30 2012).
- 2002) Predictors of sensitivity of clinical breast examination (CBE). Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 76, 73–81. , , et al. (
- 2008) Breast pain in Ghanaian women: clinical, ultrasonographic, mammographic and histological findings in 1612 consecutive patients. West African Journal of Medicine 27, 20–23. (
- 2008) Breast cancer screening policies in developing countries: a cost-effectiveness analysis for India. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 100, 1290–1300. , , , & (
- 2008) Part I: cancer in Indigenous Africans – burden, distribution, and trends. The Lancet Oncology 9, 683–692. , , et al. (
- 2006) Outcome of screening by clinical examination of the breast in a trial in the Philippines. International Journal of Cancer 118, 149–154. , , et al. (
- 2003) Breast cancer management: quality-of-life and cost considerations. Pharmacoeconomics 21, 383–396. & (
- 2010) Breast cancer in developing countries: opportunities for improved survival. Journal of Oncology 2010, 595167. , , & (
- 2002) Randomized trial of breast self-examination in Shanghai: final results. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 94, 1445–1457. , , et al. (
- 2006) Symptom clustering in advanced cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer 14, 831–836. & (
- WHO (2008) Global Burden of Disease 2004 update. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/estimates_country/en/index.html (accessed on 20 June 2011).
- WHO (2010) World Health Statistics. http://www.who.int/whosis/whostat/en/index.html (accessed on 10 November 2010).
- WHO (2011a) Choosing interventions that are cost effective. http://www.who.int/choice/en (accessed on 1 February 2011).
- WHO (2011b) Department of Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion (CHP). http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/en/ (accessed on 1 February 2011).
- WHO Commission on Macroeconomics and Health (2011) Macroeconomics and health: investing in health for economic development. Report of the Commission on Macroeconomics and Health. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2001/924154550x.pdf (accessed on 20 June 2011).
- WHO Department of Essential Health Technologies (2005) Essential Health Care Technology Package (EHTP). http://www.who.int/medical_devices/appropriate_use/en/ (accessed on 15 May 2010).
- 2006) Cancer mortality patterns in Ghana: a 10-year review of autopsies and hospital mortality. BMC Public Health 6, 159. & (
- 2003) Introduction of breast cancer screening in Chernihiv Oblast in the Ukraine: report of a PATH Breast Cancer Assistance Program experience. The Breast Journal 9(Suppl 2), S75–S80. & (