Growth patterns and anaemia status of HIV-infected children living in an institutional facility in India
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages 962–971, August 2012
How to Cite
Kapavarapu, P. K., Bari, O., Perumpil, M., Duggan, C., Dinakar, C., Krishnamurthy, S., Arumugam, K. and Shet, A. (2012), Growth patterns and anaemia status of HIV-infected children living in an institutional facility in India. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 962–971. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03022.x
- Issue published online: 30 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2012
- 1994) Haematologic features of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in Black children in Harare. Central African Journal of Medicine 40, 333–336. & (
- 2005) A 2-year follow-up of orphans’ competence, socioemotional problems and post-traumatic stress symptoms in traditional foster care and orphanages in Iraqi Kurdistan. Child: Care, Health and Development 31, 203–215. , , et al. (
- 2000) Growth failure in children with HIV infection. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 25(Suppl. 1), S37–S42. (
- 2000) Growth velocity, fat-free mass and energy intake are inversely related to viral load in HIV-infected children. Journal of Nutrition 130, 2498–2502. , , et al. (
- 2008) Effect of pre-existing malnutrition on growth parameters in HIV-infected children commencing antiretroviral therapy. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 28, 279–285. & (
- 2010) Impact of HAART on survival, weight gain and resting energy expenditure in HIV-1-infected children in India. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 30, 27–37. , , & (
- 2008) Development of food frequency questionnaires and a nutrient database for the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiological (PURE) pilot study in South India: methodological issues. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 17, 178–185. , , , , & (
- 2000) Clinical spectrum of HIV infection. Indian Pediatrics 37, 831–836. , , & (
- 2002) A prospective, cross-sectional study of anaemia and peripheral iron status in antiretroviral naive, HIV-1 infected children in Cape Town, South Africa. BMC Infectious Diseases 2, 3. , , & (
- 2000) A review of current literature on the impact of HIV/AIDS on children in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 14(Suppl. 3), S275–S284. & (
- 1995) Orphan prevalence and extended family care in a peri-urban community in Zimbabwe. AIDS Care 7, 3–17. , , et al. (
- 1996) Nutritive Value of Indian Foods. National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR), Hyderabad. , , , , & (
- 1984) Short communication: effects of environmental enrichment on the mental and psychomotor development of orphanage children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 25, 643–650. , & (
- 2007) Nutritional status, psychological well-being and the quality of life of AIDS orphans in rural Henan Province, China. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 1180–1190. & (
- 2010) Micronutrient supplementation in children and adults with HIV infection. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 12, CD003650. , , & (
- 2011) The motor development of orphaned children with and without HIV: pilot exploration of foster care and residential placement. BMC Pediatrics 11, 11. , & (
- 2000) Energy balance, viral burden, insulin-like growth factor-1, interleukin-6 and growth impairment in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Aids 14, 683–690. , , et al. (
- 2008) Differences in factors associated with initial growth, CD4, and viral load responses to ART in HIV-infected children in Kampala, Uganda, and the United Kingdom/Ireland. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 49, 384–392. , , et al. (
- 2007) Nutritional interventions for reducing morbidity and mortality in people with HIV. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 3, CD004536. , , & (
- 2001) Clinical profile of HIV infection. Indian Pediatrics 38, 239–246. , , & (
- 2010) Life in institutional care: the voices of children in a residential facility in Botswana. AIDS Care 22, 10–16. & (
- 1997) Energy expenditure in human immunodeficiency virus infection. New England Journal of Medicine 336, 70–71. , & (
- 2005) Growth of human immunodeficiency virus-infected children receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 24, 352–357. , , et al. (
- NACO (2006) Guidelines for HIV Care and Treatment in Infants and Children, NACO 2006. National AIDS Control Organization, New Delhi. http://nacoonline.org/upload/Policies%2020Guidelines4-%20Guidelines%20for%20HIV%20care%20and%20treatment%20in%20Infants%20and%20children.pdf .
- NACO (2010) National AIDS Control Organization, HIV/AIDS Estimates, NACO 2010. National AIDS Control Organization, New Delhi. http://www.nacoonline.org .
- NACO (2010–2011) NACO Annual Report 2010–11. National AIDS Control Organization, New Delhi. http://www.nacoonline.org /upload/REPORTS/NACO%20Annual%20Report%202010-11.pdf .
- 2001) Erythropoietin response to anemia among human immunodeficiency virus-infected infants in Malawi. Haematologica 86, 1221–1222. , , , , & (
- 2005) Clinical profile of pediatric HIV infection from India. Archives of Medical Research 36, 24–31. , & (
- 2009) Anemia and growth failure among HIV-infected children in India: a retrospective analysis. BMC Pediatrics 9, 37. , , et al. (
- 1994) Psychosocial adversity and growth during infancy. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 48(Suppl. 1), S113–S130. , & (
- 2002) Attachment disturbances in young children. I: The continuum of caretaking casualty. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 41, 972–982. , & (
- 2007) The caregiving context in institution-reared and family-reared infants and toddlers in Romania. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 48, 210–218. , , et al. (
- 1978) The effect of early institutional rearing on the development of eight year old children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 19, 99–118. & (
- 1975) The effect of early institutional rearing on the behaviour problems and affectional relationships of four-year-old children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 16, 61–73. & (
- 2002) Iron deficiency anemia is highly prevalent among human immunodeficiency virus-infected and uninfected infants in Uganda. Journal of Nutrition 132, 423–429. , , , , & (
- UNAIDS (2010) UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010. UNAIDS, Geneva. http://www.unaids.org/documents/20101123_GlobalReport_em.pdf .
- UNICEF (2010) Children and AIDS: Fifth Stocktaking Report 2010. UNICEF, New York. http://www.unicef.org/publications/files/Children_and_AIDS-Fifth_Stocktaking_Report_2010_EN.pdf .
- 2008) Children thrive in families: family centered models of care and support for orphans and other vulnerable children affected by HIV and AIDS. Joint Learning Initiative on HIV/AIDS (JLICA). http://www.jlica.org/userfiles/file/Wakhweya,%20Dirks%20&%20Yeboah%20Family%20centered%20models%20of%20care%20and%20.pdf . , & (
- 2010) Growth response to antiretroviral treatment in HIV-infected children: a cohort study from Lilongwe, Malawi. Tropical Medicine and International Health 15, 934–944. , , et al. (
- 2009) A comparison of the wellbeing of orphans and abandoned children ages 6–12 in institutional and community-based care settings in 5 less wealthy nations. PLoS ONE 4, e8169. , , et al. (
- WHO (2001) Iron Deficiency Anaemia Assessment, Prevention, and Control. A Guide for Programme Managers. World Health Organization, Geneva. WHO/NHD/01.3. http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/en/ida_assessment_prevention_control.pdf.
- WHO (2006) WHO Case Definitions of HIV for Surveillance and Revised Clinical Staging and Immunological Classification of HIV Related Disease in Adults and Children 2006. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/vct/hivstaging/en/index.html .
- 1997) Children on the brink: strategies to support HIV/AIDS. USAID-1997. http://www.childtrafficking.com/Docs/usaid_1997_children_on_the_.pdf. . (
- 1998) The orphans of Eritrea: are orphanages part of the problem or part of the solution? American Journal of Psychiatry 155, 1319–1324. & (
- 1999) The orphans of Eritrea: a five-year follow-up study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 40, 1231–1237. & (
- 1995) The Solomuna orphanage: a historical survey. Social Science and Medicine 40, 1133–1139. , & (
- 2009) AIDS orphanages in China: reality and challenges. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 23, 297–303. , , , , & (