Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Scaling up Xpert MTB/RIF technology: the costs of laboratory- vs. clinic-based roll-out in South Africa
Version of Record online: 12 JUN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 9, pages 1142–1151, September 2012
How to Cite
Schnippel, K., Meyer-Rath, G., Long, L., MacLeod, W., Sanne, I., Stevens, W. S. and Rosen, S. (2012), Scaling up Xpert MTB/RIF technology: the costs of laboratory- vs. clinic-based roll-out in South Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1142–1151. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03028.x
- Issue online: 23 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 JUN 2012
- 2010) Containment of bioaerosol infection risk by the Xpert MTB/RIF assay and its applicability to point-of-care settings. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 48, 3551–3557. , , et al. (
- 2011) Cost of Xpert MTB/RIF for smear-negative TB suspects at primary care clinic in Johannesburg. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, S61. Lille, France. , , , & (
- 2010) Rapid molecular detection of tuberculosis and rifampin resistance. New England Journal of Medicine 363, 1005–1015. , , et al. (
- 2011) Feasibility, diagnostic accuracy, and effectiveness of decentralised use of the Xpert MTB/RIF test for diagnosis of tuberculosis and multidrug resistance: a multicentre implementation study. Lancet 6736, 1–11. , , et al. (
- Cepheid (n.d.). GeneXpert System. from http://www.genexpert.com/pdfs/GeneXpert Brochure_0112-04.pdf (accepted 20 May 2011).
- 2010) Liquid vs. solid culture for tuberculosis: performance and cost in a resource-constrained setting. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 14, 1024–1031. , , et al. (
- 2012). Accuracy of Determine TB-LAM Lateral Flow Test for Diagnosis of TB in HIV+ Adults: interim results from a Multicenter Study. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Oral abstract, paper #149aLB. Seattle, USA. , , , , & et al. (
- 2011) Scale up of Xpert MTB/RIF from the national laboratory perspective: issues and challenges. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, S61. Lille, France. , & (
- Health Systems Trust (2010). The District Health Barometer 2008/09. Health Systems Trust. http://www.hst.org.za/publications/district-health-barometer-200809 .
- 2010) Rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Rifampin resistance by use of on-demand, near-patient technology. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 48, 229–237. , , et al. (
- 2012) Location of Xpert® MTB/RIF in centralized laboratories in South Africa undermines potential impact. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 16, 701–710. , & (
- 2012) The impact and cost of scaling up GeneXpert MTB/RIF in South Africa. PLoS One 7(5), e36966. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0036966. , , et al. (
- 2010) Xpert TB diagnostic highlights gap in point-of-care pipeline. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 10, 742–743. Elsevier Ltd. (
- National Department of Health (2009). South African National Tuberculosis Guidelines. National Department of Health, Pretoria.
- 2011) Accuracy of the Xpert MTB/RIF test for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in children admitted to hospital in Cape Town, South Africa: a descriptive study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 11, 819–824. Elsevier Ltd , , et al. (
- Oanda.com (2011). Oanda average exchange rates. from http://www.oanda.com/currency/average (accepted 28 September 2011).
- 2011) Point of care Xpert MTB/RIF for smear-negative TB diagnosis at a primary care clinic in South Africa. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, S61. Lille, France. , , et al. (
- 2011) Comparison of Xpert MTB/RIF with other nucleic acid technologies for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting: a prospective study. PLoS Medicine 8, 1–11. , , et al. (
- 2010) Tuberculosis diagnosis — time for a game change. New England Journal of Medicine 363, 1070–1071. & (
- 2011). GeneXpert to be rolled out as first-line diagnostic for TB in South Africa. HIV & AIDS treatment in practice. from http://www.aidsmap.com/GeneXpert-to-be-rolled-out-as-first-line-diagnostic-for-TB-in-South-Africa/page/1746803/ (accepted 10 November 2011). (
- South African Reserve Bank (2011). Selected historical exchange rates and other interest rates. from http://www.resbank.co.za/Research/Rates/Pages/SelectedHistoricalExchangeAndInterestRates.aspx (accepted 14 November 2011).
- 2009) Time delays in diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review of literature. BMC Infectious Diseases 9, 91 doi:10.1186/1471-2334-9-91. , , & (
- Stop TB Department (2006). Planning and budgeting for TB control model. World Health Organization. from http://www.who.int/tb/dots/planning_budgeting_tool/en/ (accepted 28 July 2011).
- Stop TB Department (2010). Roadmap for Rolling Out Xpert MTB/RIF for Rapid Diagnosis of TB and MDR-TB (pp. 1–12). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2011) Adjunct TB tests, when combined with Xpert MTB/RIF, improve accuracy and the cost of diagnosis in a resource-poor setting? ERJ. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00145511. , , et al. (
- 2011) Xpert® MTB/RIF for national tuberculosis programmes in low-income countries: when, where and how? International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, 1567–1571. , , et al. (
- 2011) Xpert MTB/RIF: a new pillar in diagnosis of extrapulmonary tuberculosis? Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 49 2540–2545. , , , , & (
- 2010) Xpert ® MTB/RIF for point-of- care diagnosis of TB in high-HIV burden, resource-limited countries: hype or hope? Expert Review of Molecular Diagnosis 10, 937–946. , , , & (
- 2011) Rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis with the Xpert MTB/RIF assay in high burden countries: a cost-effectiveness analysis. PLoS Medicine 8, e1001120. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2011a) Global Tuberculosis Control. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011b) Rapid Implementation of the Xpert MTB/RIF Diagnostic test: Technical and Operational “How-to”; Practical Considerations. World Health (WHO/HTM/TB.). World Health Organization, Geneva.