Adoption of new HIV treatment guidelines and drug substitutions within first-line as a measure of quality of care in rural Lesotho: health centers and hospitals compared
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 10, pages 1245–1254, October 2012
How to Cite
Labhardt, N. D., Sello, M., Lejone, T., Ehmer, J., Mokhantso, M., Lynen, L. and Pfeiffer, K. (2012), Adoption of new HIV treatment guidelines and drug substitutions within first-line as a measure of quality of care in rural Lesotho: health centers and hospitals compared. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1245–1254. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03051.x
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2012
- 2007) Implementing antiretroviral therapy in rural communities: the Lusikisiki model of decentralized HIV/AIDS care. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196 (Suppl. 3), S464–S468. , , & (
- 2007) Substitutions due to antiretroviral toxicity or contraindication in the first 3 years of antiretroviral therapy in a large South African cohort. Antiviral Therapy 12, 753–760. , , et al. (
- 2010) Sustainability of first-line antiretroviral regimens: findings from a large HIV treatment program in western Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (1999) 53, 254–259. , , et al. (
- 2010) A systematic review of task shifting for HIV treatment and care in Africa. Human Resources for Health 8, 8. , & (
- 2009) Two-year virologic outcomes of an alternative AIDS care model: evaluation of a peer health worker and nurse-staffed community-based program in Uganda. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (1999) 50, 276–282. , , et al. (
- 2009) Antiretroviral treatment outcomes from a nurse-driven, community-supported HIV/AIDS treatment programme in rural Lesotho: observational cohort assessment at two years. Journal of the International AIDS Society 12, 23. , , et al. (
- 2007) Clinical toxicity of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a home-based AIDS care program in rural Uganda. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (1999) 44, 456–462. , , et al. (
- 2010) Nurse led, primary care based antiretroviral treatment versus hospital care: a controlled prospective study in Swaziland. BMC Health Services Research 10, 229. , , et al. (
- 2004) Scaling up access to antiretroviral treatment in southern Africa: who will do the job? Lancet 364, 103–107. & (
- 2009) Patient retention and attrition on antiretroviral treatment at district level in rural Malawi. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 103, 594–600. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare & National AIDS Commission (2009) National HIV and AIDS Estimates for Lesotho 2009. http://www.nas.org.ls/documents/default.php (accessed September 5, 2010).
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of Lesotho (2004) National Anti-retroviral Treatment Guidelines 2004. Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of Lesotho, Maseru, Lesotho.
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of Lesotho, M.O.H.S.W. (2007) National Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines 2007. Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of Lesotho, Maseru, Lesotho.
- 2009) Use of task-shifting to rapidly scale-up HIV treatment services: experiences from Lusaka, Zambia. BMC Health Services Research 9, 5. , , et al. (
- National AIDS Commission (2010) Annual Report on the National Response to HIV and AIDS – Reporting Period January to December 2009. National AIDS Commission, Maseru, Lesotho.
- 2010) Nurse versus doctor management of HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy (CIPRA-SA): a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 376, 33–40. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task-shifting of antiretroviral delivery from health care workers to persons living with HIV/AIDS: clinical outcomes of a community-based program in Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (1999) 55, 483–490. , , et al. (
- 2009) Task shifting for scale-up of HIV care: evaluation of Nurse-Centered Antiretroviral Treatment at Rural Health Centers in Rwanda. PLoS Medicine 6, e1000163. , , et al. (
- 2009) The relationship between antiretroviral prescription patterns and treatment guidelines in treatment-naïve HIV-1-infected patients. HIV Medicine 10, 573–579. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2010) Global Report, ISBN 978-92-9173-871-7. Available at http://www.unaids.org.
- 2008) Success with antiretroviral treatment for children in Kigali, Rwanda: experience with health center/nurse-based care. BMC Pediatrics 8, 39. , , , , & (
- World Health Organisation & HIV/AIDS Programme (2007) Task Shifting to Tackle Health Worker Shortages. World Health Organisation & HIV/AIDS Programme. Available at: http://www.who.int.
- World Health Organization (2008) Task Shifting – Global Recommendations and Guidelines. World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int.
- World Health Organization (2009) Rapid advice – antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents. World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int.
- World Health Organization (2010) World Health Statistics 2010, ISBN 978 92 4 156398 7. Available at: http://www.who.int/whosis/whostat/2010/en/index.html.