Mass administration of the antimalarial drug mefloquine to Guantánamo detainees: a critical analysis
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2012
Published 2012. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 10, pages 1281–1288, October 2012
How to Cite
Nevin, R. L. (2012), Mass administration of the antimalarial drug mefloquine to Guantánamo detainees: a critical analysis. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1281–1288. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03063.x
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2012
- 1948) Procedures used at Stateville penitentiary for the testing of potential antimalarial agents. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 27, 2–5. , , , , & (
- Armed Forces Epidemiological Board (AFEB) (2002) February 19, 2002 Meeting Minutes, San Diego, California. Available at: http://www.health.mil/dhb/afeb/meeting/Transcripts/Day1Transcripts.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- 2004) Infectious disease screening for refugees resettled in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases 39, 833–841. (
- 1995) Falciparum malaria in a displaced Haitian population. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 89, 600–603. , & (
- 1989) Acute psychosis following mefloquine prophylaxis. Lancet 2, 865. (
- 2010) The reality of using primaquine. Malaria Journal 9, 376. , & (
- 1988) [Consideration of the side effects of mefloquine: a medico-surgical consultation]. Le Concours Médical 198, 4003. & (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2010) Presumptive treatment of P. falciparum malaria in refugees relocating from sub-Saharan Africa to the United States. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/guidelines/domestic/malaria-guidelines-domestic.html (accessed 21 June 2012).
- 1976) Suppressive activity of mefloquine in sporozoite-induced human malaria. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 9, 384–386. , , & (
- 1983) A phase I clinical trial of mefloquine in Brazilian male subjects. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 61, 809–814. (
- 2010) Drug abuse: an exploration of the government’s use of mefloquine at Guantanamo. Available at: http://law.shu.edu/ProgramsCenters/PublicIntGovServ/policyresearch/upload/drug-abuse-exploration-government-use-mefloquine-gunatanamo.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012). , , et al. (
- Department of Defense (DoD) (2007) Detainee Hospital Guantanamo Bay Cuba Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Operational Policy Memorandums concerning health care, Behavioral Science Consultation Team (BSCT) SOPs. Available at: http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/operation_and_plans/Detainee/GITMO_MedicalSOPs.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Department of the Army Office of the Surgeon General. (2002) Memorandum: updated health care provider information on use of mefloquine hydrochloride (Lariam®) for malaria prophylaxis. Available at: http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/Mefloquine_Hyrochloride_Use.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- 2003) The acute neurotoxicity of mefloquine may be mediated through a disruption of calcium homeostasis and ER function in vitro. Malaria Journal 2, 14. , , & (
- 2006) Mefloquine induces dose-related neurological effects in a rat model. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapeutics 50, 1045–1053. , , et al. (
- 1981) [Urgent need to develop new antimalarials]. Schweizerische Rundschau für Medizin Praxis 70, 1025–1032. (
- 2011) US physician whistleblowers face intimidation and retaliation. Lancet Oncology 12, 727. (
- 2004) The use of anti-malarial drugs to prevent malaria in the population of malaria-endemic areas. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 70, 1–7. (
- 2010) Anti-malarial drugs and the prevention of malaria in the population of malaria endemic areas. Malaria Journal 9(3 Suppl), S2. (
- 2009) Population structure analyses and demographic history of the malaria vector Anopheles albimanus from the Caribbean and the Pacific regions of Colombia. Malaria Journal 19, 259. , , et al. (
- 1977) Sequential treatment with quinine and mefloquine or quinine and pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine for falciparum malaria. British Medical Journal 1, 1626–1628. , , et al. (
- 1983) A phase II clinical trial of mefloquine in patients with chloroquine-resistant falciparum malaria in Thailand. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 61, 299–305. , & (
- 2006) Primaquine: report from CDC expert meeting on malaria chemoprophylaxis I. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 75, 402–415. , , , , & (
- 2010) Mefloquine induces oxidative stress and neurodegeneration in primary rat cortical neurons. Neurotoxicology 31, 518–523. , , , & (
- 2011) Neglect of medical evidence of torture in Guantánamo bay: a case series. PLoS Medicine 8, e1001027. & (
- 1992) Pharmacokinetics of mefloquine in the presence of primaquine. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 42, 559–560. , , , & (
- 2011) KBR’s foreign contractors at Guantanamo spared controversial anti-malaria drug given to detainees. Available at: http://www.truth-out.org/contractors-treatment-undercuts-pentagon-rationale-giving-guantanamodetainees-anti-malarial-drug681 (accessed 21 June 2012). & (
- 1983) A double-blind comparative clinical trial of mefloquine and chloroquine in symptomatic falciparum malaria. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 61, 713–718. , , & (
- 1989) [Transient disorders of memory after a malaria attack. Caused by mefloquine?]. Presse Médicale 18, 776. , , & (
- 2011) Global TravEpiNet: a national consortium of clinics providing care to international travelers–analysis of demographic characteristics, travel destinations, and pretravel healthcare of high-risk US international travelers, 2009–2011. Clinical Infectious Diseases 54, 455–462. , , et al. (
- 2010) Controversial Drug Given to All Guantanamo Detainees Akin to ‘Pharmacologic Waterboarding’. Available at: http://www.truth-out.org/controversial-drug-given-all-guantanamo-detainees-amounted-pharmacologic-waterboarding6558 (accessed 21 June 2012). & (
- 2006) Malaria: diagnosis and treatment of falciparum malaria in travelers during and after travel. Current Infectious Disease Reports 8, 35–42. (
- 2011) CDC Health Information for International Travel 2012. Advising travelers with specific needs: special considerations for US military deployments. Available at: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-8-advising-travelers-with-specific-needs/special-considerations-for-us-military-deployments.htm (accessed 21 June 2012). , & (
- 2011) Post-arrival screening for malaria in asymptomatic refugees using real-time PCR. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 84, 161–165. , , et al. (
- 1977) Malaria drugs: new ones are available, but little used. Science 196, 415. (
- 2000) Malaria, intestinal parasites, and schistosomiasis among Barawan Somali refugees resettling to the United States: a strategy to reduce morbidity and decrease the risk of imported infections. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 62, 115–121. , , et al. (
- 2010) Anti-malarial activity of a non-piperidine library of next-generation quinoline methanols. Malaria Journal 9, 51. , , et al. (
- 2004) Gene flow among Anopheles albimanus populations in Central America, South America, and the Caribbean assessed by microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71, 350–359. , , et al. (
- 2010) Mefloquine prescriptions in the presence of contraindications: prevalence among US military personnel deployed to Afghanistan, 2007. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 19, 206–210. (
- 2012) Limbic encephalopathy and central vestibulopathy caused by mefloquine: a case report. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease 10, 144–151. (
- 2008) Prevalence of contraindications to mefloquine use among USA military personnel deployed to Afghanistan. Malaria Journal 7, 30. , & (
- 2003) Editorial: maternal malaria: time for action. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 485–487. , , & (
- Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs (OASDHA) (2009) Policy Memorandum on the Use of Mefloquine (Lariam®) in Malaria Prophylaxis. Available at: http://www.health.mil/libraries/HA_Policies_and_Guidelines/09-017.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs (OASDHA) (2012) Memorandum dated 17 January 2012, Subject: Service Review of Mefloquine Prescribing Practices. Available at: truth-out.org/files/Mefloquine-QA-Memo-JAN-2012-(Signed).pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- 2008) [New use of primaquine for malaria]. Médecine et maladies infectieuses 38, 169–179. , , et al. (
- 2001) Atovaquone-proguanil versus mefloquine for malaria prophylaxis in nonimmune travelers: results from a randomized, double-blind study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 33, 1015–1021. , , et al. (
- 2010) Cost comparison of microscopy vs. empiric treatment for malaria in southwestern Nigeria: a prospective study. Malaria Journal 9, 371. , , , , & (
- 1989) Neurologic reactions after a therapeutic dose of mefloquine. New England Journal of Medicine 321, 1415–1416. , & (
- 1980) Chemosuppressive field trials in Thailand. IV. The suppression of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax parasitemias by mefloquine (WR 142,490, A 4-quinolinemethanol). American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 29, 1131–1137. , , , , & (
- 2011) Presumptive treatment to reduce imported malaria among refugees from east Africa resettling in the United States. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85, 612–615. , , et al. (
- 1999) Risk factors for gametocyte carriage in uncomplicated falciparum malaria. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 60, 1019–1023. , , et al. (
- 2002) Unexpected frequency, duration and spectrum of adverse events after therapeutic dose of mefloquine in healthy adults. Acta Tropica 81, 167–173. , , , , & (
- 1989) Mefloquine and an acute brain syndrome. Annals of Internal Medicine 110, 577–578. , , et al. (
- 2012) The Guantánamo docket: a history of the detainee population. Available at http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo (accessed 21 June 2012). , , , & (
- 2002) West Nile virus: next stop GTMO? The Wire: Published in the interest of personnel assigned to JTF-160 and COM-NAV Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 30 August, 10–11. Available at: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/The_Wire_Issue12v2.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012). (
- 2011) Experts: DOD malaria drug policy for detainees is malpractice. Available at: http://www.stripes.com/experts-dod-malaria-drug-policy-for-detainees-is-malpractice-1.132623 (accessed 21 June 2012). (
- 2006) Malaria prevention during pregnancy: assessing the disease burden one year after implementing a program of intermittent preventive treatment in Koupela District, Burkina Faso. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 75, 205–211. , , et al. (
- 1995) Malaria in east African refugees resettling to the United States: development of strategies to reduce the risk of imported malaria. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 171, 489–493. , , , & (
- 2008) Pre-departure and post-arrival management of P. falciparum malaria in refugees relocating from sub-Saharan Africa to the United States. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 79, 141–146. , , et al. (
- 2011) Biowaiver monographs for immediate release solid oral dosage forms: mefloquine hydrochloride. Journal of Pharmceutical Sciences 100, 11–21. , , et al. (
- 2010) Intermittent screening and treatment versus intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy: a randomised controlled non-inferiority trial. PLoS ONE 5, e14425. , , , & (
- 1982) Single-dose treatment of falciparum malaria with mefloquine: field studies with different doses in semi-immune adults and children in Burma. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 60, 913–917. , & (
- 2009) Mefloquine neurotoxicity: a literature review. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease 7, 2–6. (
- 1975) Mefloquine (WR 142,490) in the treatment of human malaria. Science 190, 792–794. , , et al. (
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), World Bank & World Health Organization (1983) Development of mefloquine as an antimalarial drug. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 61, 169–178.
- 2003) Mass administrations of antimalarial drugs. Trends in Parasitology 19, 452–460. & (
- 1996) Malaria among United States troops in Somalia. American Journal of Medicine 100, 49–55. , , et al. (
- 2005) Intermittent presumptive treatment for malaria. PLoS Medicine 2, e3. (
- 2010) An outbreak of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in U.S. Marines deployed to Liberia. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83, 258–265. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1989) Central nervous system reactions related to the antimalarial drug, mefloquine, WHO/MAL/89/1054. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/malaria/WHO_MAL_89.1054.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2001) The use of antimalarial drugs: report of an informal consultation, 13–17 November 2000. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2001/WHO_CDS_RBM_2001.33.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2004) A strategic framework for malaria prevention and control during pregnancy in the African Region. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/afro/2004/AFR_MAL_04.01.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2010) Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria, 2nd edn. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241547925_eng.pdf (accessed 21 June 2012).