Poor-quality medical products: time to address substandards, not only counterfeits
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 11, pages 1412–1416, November 2012
How to Cite
Ravinetto, R. M., Boelaert, M., Jacobs, J., Pouget, C. and Luyckx, C. (2012), Poor-quality medical products: time to address substandards, not only counterfeits. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1412–1416. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03076.x
- Issue online: 19 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2012
- 2005) The quality of anti-malarials available in Yemen. Malaria Journal 4, 28. http://www.malariajournal.com/content/4/1/28 , & (
- 2009) Fatal poisoning among young children from diethylene glycol-contaminated acetaminophen – Nigeria, 2008–2009. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 58, 1345–1347. , , et al. (
- 2006) Quality of antimalarial drugs in Sudan: results of post-marketing surveillance. Sudanese Journal of Public Health 1, 108–111. , , & (
- 2005) The quality of sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine and amodiaquine products in the Kenyan retail sector. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 30, 559–565. , & (
- 2007) Antimalarial drug quality in Africa. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 32, 429–440. & (
- Appel de Cotonou contre les faux médicaments (2009) Fondation Chirac. http://www.fondationchirac.eu/programmes/acces-aux-medicaments/mobilisation-internationale-contre-trafic-faux-medicaments/ (Accessed on August 6 2012).
- 2012) Contaminated drugs are held responsible for 120 deaths in Pakistan. British Medical Journal 344, e951. (
- 2007) Quality control of active ingredients in artemisinin-derivative antimalarials within Kenya and R Congo. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 68–74. , , (
- 2008) Antimalarial drug quality in the most severely malarious parts of Africa – a six country study. PLoS One 3, e2132. , , & (
- 2008) Substandard medicines in resource-poor settings: a problem that can no longer be ignored. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13, 1062–1072. , , , , & (
- Declaration of Rome (2006) Conclusions and recommendations of the WHO “combating counterfeit drugs: building effective international collaboration” International Conference, Rome, Italy 16–18 February 2006. http://www.who.int/medicines/counterfeit_conference/en/index.html
- 2012) A poor-quality generic drug for the treatment of visceral Leishmaniasis: a case report and appeal. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 6, e1544. , , , & (
- Editorial (1852) Drug regulation in India – the time is ripe for change. The Lancet 2012, 379.
- 2009) In-vitro evaluation of the pharmaceutical quality of some ibuprofen tablets dispensed in Nigeria. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 3, 491–495. http://www.academicjournals.org/ajpp , & (
- 2007) Informal medicine market in Congo, Burundi and Angola: counterfeit and sub-standard antimalarials. Malaria Journal, 6, 22. , , et al. (
- 2012) Poor-quality antimalarial drugs in southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 12, 488–496. , , , & (
- 1938) Pathologic effects of elixir of sulfanilamide (diethylene glycol) poisoning. A clinical and experimental correlation: final report. Journal of the American Medical Association 111, 919–926. & (
- 1995) Fatal renal failure caused by diethylene glycol in paracetamol elixir: the Bangladesh epidemic. British Medical Journal 311, 88–91. , , , , & (
- 2008) A nationwide survey of the quality of antimalarials in retail outlets in Tanzania. PLoS One 3, e3403. , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Counterfeit or substandard antimicrobial drugs: a review of the scientific evidence. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 60, 214–236. , , & (
- 2004) Quality and stability of TB medicines: let the buyer beware! The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 8, 1043–1044. , & (
- 2005) Quality of Phenobarbital solid-dosage forms in the urban community of Nouakchott (Mauritania). Epilepsia 46, 1293–1296. , , , , & (
- 2001) Substandard tuberculosis drugs on the global market and their simple detection. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 5, 448–454. , , , & (
- 2009) Epidemics of Plasmodium Falciparum malaria involving substandard antimalarial drugs, Pakistan 2003. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15, 1753–1759. , , , , & (
- 2003) The Quality of Antimalarials. A Study in Selected African Countries. (WHO/EDM/PAR/2003) Department of Essential Drugs and Medicines Policy, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js4901e/ . & (
- 2003) Evaluation of the quality of amodiaquine and sulphadoxine/pyrimethamine tablets sold by private wholesale pharmacies in Dar Es Salaam Tanzania. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 28, 117–122. , , et al. (
- 2011) Quality of medical devices and in vitro diagnostics in resource-limited settings. Tropical Medicine & International Health 16, 1439–1449. , & (
- 2010) Impact of poor-quality medicines in the ‘developing’ World. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 31, 99–101. , & (
- 2009) Guidelines for field surveys of the quality of medicines: a proposal. PloS Medicine 6, 252–257. , , et al. (
- 2011) The primacy of public health. Considerations in defining poor quality medicines. PLoS Medicine 8, e1001139. , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Pakistan’s deadly cocktail of substandard drugs. The Lancet 379, 1084–1085. (
- 1992) Diethylene glycol poisoning in Nigerian children. Annals of Tropical Paeditrics 12, 235–238. , , & (
- OMS (1995) La qualité des médicaments sur le marché pharmaceutique africain. Etude analytique dans trois pays: Cameroun, Madagascar, Tchad. Programme d’Action pour les Médicaments Essentiels, OMS. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/fr/d/Js2212f/.
- 2008) Outbreak of acute renal failure in Panama in 2006: a case-control study. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 749–756. Available at WHO website. , , et al. (
- 1997) Assessment of the incidence of substandard drugs in developing countries. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 839–845. , & (
- 2001) Diethylene glycol poisoning in Gurgaon, India. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79, 88–95. , , et al. (
- 1998) A cluster of cases of severe cardiotoxicity among kala-azar patients treated with a high-osmolarity lot of sodium antimony gluconate. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 59, 139–143. , , et al. (
- 2001) Pharmacopoeial quality of drugs supplied by Nigerian pharmacies. The Lancet 357, 1933–1936. , , et al. (
- The USP Drug Quality and Information Program (2004) A review of drug quality in Asia with focus on anti-infective. http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADH154.pdf
- 2008) Substandard anti-malarial drugs in Burkina Faso. Malaria Journal 7, 95. , , et al. (
- WHO (1999). Counterfeit and Substandard Drugs in Myanmar and Viet Nam. Report of a study carried out in cooperation with the Governments of Myanmar and Viet Nam. E. Wondemagegnehu, WHO Essential Drugs and Other Medicines. (WHO/EDM/QSM/99.3) WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2011a) Survey of the quality of selected antimalarial medicines circulating in six countries of sub-Saharan Africa. WHO (Quality Assurance and Safety of Medicines, Department of Essential Medicines and Pharmaceutical Policies), Geneva. http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/WHO_QAMSA_report.pdf
- WHO (2011b) WHO quality assurance and safety: medicines, essential medicines and pharmaceutical policies. Survey of the quality of anti-tuberculosis medicines circulating in selected newly independent states of the former Soviet Union. Health Technologies and Pharmaceuticals, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Geneva. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/documents/s19053en/s19053en.pdf
- WHO (2011c) WHO technical report series 961: WHO expert committee on specifications for pharmaceutical preparations, forty-fifth report. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_961_eng.pdf
- 1998) The haitian diethylene glycol poisoning tragedy. Journal of the American Medical Association 279, 1215–1216. (
- World Health Organization (2007) Quality Assurance and Safety: Medicines. Medicines Policy and Standards. Survey on the quality of antiretroviral medicines circulating in selected African countries. (WHO/PSM/QSM/2007.9) WHO, Geneva. http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/ARV_survey.pdf
- World Health Organization (2010) Assessment of Medicines Regulatory Systems in Sub-Saharan African Countries: An Overview of Findings from 26 Assessment Reports WHO, Geneva.
- WHO Fact sheet No 275. http://www.coe.int/t/DGHL/StandardSetting/MediCrime/Default_en.asp
- WHO frequently asked questions. http://www.who.int/medicines/services/counterfeit/faqs/06/en/index.html
- Council of Europe Convention on the counterfeiting of medical products and similar crimes involving threats to public health, 28th October 2011. http://www.coe.int/t/DGHL/StandardSetting/MediCrime/Default_en.asp (Accessed on August 6 2012).
- 13th International Conference of drug regulatory authorities, strategies to fight counterfeit medicines (2008). WHO Drug Information 22, 262–263. http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/druginformation/issues/DrugInfo08vol22-4.pdf (Accessed on August 6 2012).
- African Medicines Regulatory Harmonization Initiative (AMRHI): a WHO concept paper (2008). WHO Drug Information 22, 182–190.