Indicators of quality use of medicines in South-East Asian countries: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 12, pages 1552–1566, December 2012
How to Cite
Nguyen, H. T., Wirtz, V. J., Haaijer-Ruskamp, F. M. and Taxis, K. (2012), Indicators of quality use of medicines in South-East Asian countries: a systematic review. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1552–1566. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03081.x
- Issue online: 21 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2012
- 2011) Maternal, neonatal, and child health in Southeast Asia: towards greater regional collaboration. Lancet377, 516–525. , , et al. (
- 2003) Utilization of restricted antibiotics in a university hospital in Thailand. The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health34, 179–186. , , , & (
- 2009a) Philippines Pharmaceutical Situation 2009 WHO Health Facility Survey on Medicines. World Health Organization, Geneva. & (
- 2009b) Philippines Pharmaceutical Situation 2009 WHO Household Survey on Medicines. World Health Organization, Geneva. & (
- 1999) Indicators for Monitoring National Drug Policies - A Practical Manual, 2nd edn. World Health Organization, Geneva. , & (
- 2003) Research methods used in developing and applying quality indicators in primary care. British Medical Journal326, 816–819. , , & (
- 2001) Improving antibiotic prescribing in Hai Phong Province, Viet Nam: the “antibiotic-dose” indicator. Bulletin of the World Health Organization79, 313–320. (
- 2002) Rational drug use in Cambodia: study of three pilot health centers in Kampong Thom Province. The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health33, 418–424. , & (
- 2006) Assessing the quality of care for patients with first-episode psychosis. Singapore Medical Journal47, 882–885. , , et al. (
- 2008) Impact of the Singapore National Asthma Program (SNAP) on preventor-reliever prescription ratio in polyclinics. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore37, 114–117. , & (
- 2011) Health and health-care systems in Southeast Asia: diversity and transitions. Lancet377, 429–437. , , et al. (
- 2001) Management of childhood acute respiratory infections at private pharmacies in Vietnam. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy35, 1283–1288. , , , , & (
- 2011) Emerging infectious diseases in southeast Asia: regional challenges to control. Lancet377, 599–609. , , , & (
- 2011) The rise of chronic non-communicable diseases in Southeast Asia: time for action. Lancet377, 680–689. , , , , & (
- 2005) Evaluating the quality of medical care. The Milbank Quarterly83, 691–729. (
- 2000) Pharmaceutical sector in transition-a cross sectional study in Vietnam. The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health31, 590–597. , , , & (
- 2007) Polypharmacy in elderly patients. The American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy5, 345–351. , & (
- 2001) Expert consensus on the desirable characteristics of review criteria for improvement of health care quality. Quality & Safety in Health Care10, 173–178. , , , & (
- 2003) Medications use system performance information. In: Preventing Medication Errors and Improving Drug Therapy Outcomes - A Management System Approach, 1st edn CRC Press, Florida, USA, pp. 197–215. & (
- 1995) Promoting rational prescribing: an international perspective. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology39, 1–6. (
- 1993) Field tests for rational drug use in twelve developing countries. Lancet342, 1408–1410. , , et al. (
- 2011) The World Medicines Situation 2011-Rational Use of Medicines. World Health Organization, Geneva. & (
- 2011) Human resources for health in Southeast Asia: shortages, distributional challenges, and international trade in health services. Lancet377, 769–781. , , et al. (
- 2009) Quality indicators of diabetes care in practice. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health40, 1074–1079. , & (
- 2006) Rational use of drugs: prescribing and dispensing practices at public health facilities in Lao PDR. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety15, 344–347. , , , & (
- 2010) Are Hong Kong doctors following the Global Initiative for Asthma guidelines: a questionnaire “Survey on Asthma Management”?. Hong Kong Medical Journal16, 86–98. , , et al. (
- 2001) Ten recommendations to improve use of medicines in developing countries. Health Policy and Planning16, 13–20. , & (
- 2008) A criterion-based obstetric morbidity audit in southern Thailand. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics103, 166–171. , , , & (
- 2003) Defining and classifying clinical indicators for quality improvement. International Journal for Quality in Health Care: Journal of the International Society for Quality in Health Care/ISQua15, 523–530. (
- 2007) Improving the quality of care with performance indicators. British Medical Journal335, 916–918. , & (
- 2004) Polypharmacy and inappropriate medication use in Singapore nursing homes. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore33, 49–52. , , & (
- 2010) A systematic literature review: prescribing indicators related to type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular risk management. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety19, 319–334. , , , , & (
- PRISMA Group (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology62, 1006–1012. , , , &
- 2002) Building the national drug policy on evidence-a cross sectional study on assessing implementation in Lao PDR. The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health33, 647–653. , , , & (
- 1997) Investigating drug use. In: Managing Drug Supply, 2nd edn. Kumarian Press Inc., West Hartford, pp. 430–449. , & et al. (eds) (
- 2005) Are essential medicines in Malaysia accessible, affordable and available?. Pharmacy World and Science27, 442–446. & (
- 2011) Review: relation between quality-of-care indicators for diabetes and patient outcomes: a systematic literature review. Medical Care Research and Review: MCRR68, 263–289. , , , & (
- 2001a) Real world pharmacy: assessing the quality of private pharmacy practice in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. Social Science and Medicine52, 393–404. , , & (
- 2001b) Private pharmacy practice and regulation-A randomized trial in Lao P.D.R. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care17, 579–589. , , , & (
- 2002) The Quality of Private Pharmacy Services in a Province of Lao PDR-Perceptions, Practices and Regulatory Enforcements-Thesis for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Karolinska Instiutet, Stockholm. (
- 2001) The quality of public and private pharmacy practices: a cross sectional study in the Savannakhet province, Lao PDR. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology57, 221–227. , , & (
- 2010) Evidence-based performance indicators of primary care for asthma: a modified RAND Appropriateness Method. International Journal for QUality in Health Care: Journal of the International Society for Quality in Health Care/ISQua22, 476–485. , , et al. (
- 2006) An assessment survey of anti-tuberculosis drug management in Cambodia. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease10, 153–159. , , , , & (
- 2006) Improving the performance of drug and therapeutics committees in hospitals - A quasi-experimental study in Laos. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology62, 57–63. , , et al. (
- 2003) Effectiveness of feedback for improving case management of malaria, diarrhoea and pneumonia - A randomized controlled trial at provincial hospitals in Lao PDR. Tropical Medicine and International Health8, 901–909. , , et al. (
- 2011) Unnecessary use of fluoroquinolone antibiotics in hospitalized patients. BMC Infectious Diseases11, 187. , , & (
- WHO (1993) How to Investigate Drug Use in Health Facilities - Selected Drug Use Indicators. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2004) Rational use of medicines. In: The World Medicines Situation. World Health Organization Geneva, 75–91.
- WHO (2006a) Using Indicators to Measure Country Pharmaceutical Situation - Fact Book on WHO Level I and Level II Monitoring Indicators. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2006b) WHO Expert Meeting on Pharmaceutical Indicators, Monitoring and Assessment. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2007a) Manual for the Household Survey to Measure Access and Use of Medicines. Draft edn. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2007b) WHO Operational Package for Assessing, Monitoring and Evaluating Country Pharmaceutical Situations, Guide for Coordinators and Data Collectors. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2009) Medicines Use in Primary Care in Developing and Transitional Countries - Fact Book Summarizing Results from Studies Reported Between 1990 and 2006. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2010). Medicines: rational use of medicines, Fact sheet No. 338, May 2010. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs338/en/index.html [Accessed 5 October 2011].
- WHO (2011) Development of WHO TCM household medicines access survey. http://www.whoccpp.org/methods/tcm_household_survey.asp [Accessed 20 December 2011].