Economic burden of acute pesticide poisoning in South Korea
Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 12, pages 1534–1543, December 2012
How to Cite
Choi, Y., Kim, Y., Ko, Y., Cha, E. S., Kim, J. and Lee, W. J. (2012), Economic burden of acute pesticide poisoning in South Korea. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1534–1543. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03096.x
- Issue online: 21 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2012
- 2008) Health costs from short-term exposure to pesticides in Nepal. Social Science and Medicine67, 511–519. (
- 2003) Trends in inquiries on poisoning: a five-year report from the National Poison Centre, Malaysia. Medical Journal of Malaysia58, 375–379. , , , & (
- 2006) Deaths from pesticide poisoning: a global response. British Journal of Psychiatry189, 201–203. , , & (
- 2001) Health costs of acute poisoning with pesticides: empirical analysis. Annali dell’Istituto superiore di sanità37, 153–157. (
- 2012) Suicide in Asia: opportunities and challenges. Epidemiologic Reviews34, 129–144. , , & (
- 2011) Trends in poisoning hospitalization and mortality in Taiwan, 1999–2008: a retrospective analysis. BMC Public Health11, 703. , , , & (
- 2010) Medical expenditure by hospital type. In: NHI Patients Medical Expenditure Survey 2009 (ed. W Chung) Health Insurance Policy Research Institute, Seoul, South Korea, pp. 51–67. , , , & (
- 2000) Economic burden of illness from pesticide poisonings in highland Ecuador. Revista panamericana de salud públic8, 196–201. , & (
- 2008) The Nicaraguan Pesticide Poisoning Register: constant underreporting. International Journal of Health Services38, 773–787. , , , , & (
- 2007) Pesticide Use in the Rice Bowl of Kerala: Health Costs and Policy Options South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE), Kathmandu, Nepal, pp 1–40. (
- 2006) Choice of poison for intentional self-poisoning in rural Sri Lanka. Clinical Toxicology (Philadelphia)44, 283–286. , , et al. (
- 2012) Effects of a provincial ban of two toxic oganophosphorus insecticides on pesticide poisoning hospital admissions. Clinical Toxicology (Philadelphia)50, 202–209. , , et al. (
- 2003) Suicide by intentional ingestion of pesticides: a continuing tragedy in developing countries. International Journal of Epidemiology32, 902–909. & (
- 2007) The global distribution of fatal pesticide self-poisoning: systematic review. BMC Public Health7, 357. , , & (
- HIRA (2009) National Health Insurance Reimbursement Data Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2010) Cost of illness and health-friendly fiscal policy (In Korean). In: Health and Welfare Issue and Focus (ed. Y Kim) Korea Institute for Health and Social Welfare, Seoul, South Korea, pp. 1–8. (
- 2011) Comparative epidemiology of suicide in South Korea and Japan: effects of age, gender and suicide methods. Crisis32, 5–14. , , & (
- 2012) Pesticide poisonings in South Korea: findings from the National Hospital Discharge Survey 2004–2006. Human & Experimental Toxicology. 31, 751–758. , , , , & (
- 2012) Emergency department visits due to pesticide poisoning in South Korea, 2006–2009. Clinical Toxicology (Philadelphia)50, 114–119. , , , & (
- 2003) Reducing acute poisoning in developing countries-options for restricting the availability of pesticides. Toxicology192, 249–261. , , et al. (
- 2009) Deaths from pesticide poisoning in South Korea: trends over 10 years. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health82, 365–371. , , , , & (
- 2012) Incidence of acute occupational pesticide poisoning among male farmers in South Korea. American Journal of Industrial Medicine55, 799–807. , , , , & (
- 2009) Clinical toxicology in China: current situation and future development. Clinical Toxicology (Philadelphia)47, 263–269. , , et al. (
- 2011) Economic burden of injuries in South Korea. Injury Prevention17, 291–296. , & (
- 2005) Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association294, 2064–2074. , , et al. (
- 2003) Hidden health costs of pesticide use in Zimbabwe’s smallholder cotton growers. Social Science and Medicine57, 1559–1571. & (
- MOEL (2009) Working Conditions Survey 2009. Ministry of Employment and Labor (MOEL), Seoul, South Korea.
- NHIC (2009) Korea Health Panel Survey 2009. Korea National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC), Seoul, South Korea.
- NHIC/HIRA (2010) National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook. National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC) and Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service (HIRA), Seoul, South Korea.
- OECD (2009) Access to Care. In Health at a Glance 2009. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Paris, France, pp. 144–155.
- 2005) Environmental and economic costs of the application of pesticides primarily in the United States. Environment, Development and Sustainability7, 229–252. (
- 2004) Epidemiologic characteristics of death by poisoning in 1991–2001 in Korea. Journal of Korean Medical Science19, 186–194. , , , & (
- Statistics Korea (2007) Korean Standard Classification of Diseases. Statistics Korea, Seoul, South Korea.
- Statistics Korea (2008) Farmers, Foresters and Fishermen Welfare Survey. Statistics Korea, Seoul, South Korea.
- Statistics Korea (2009a) Life Table 2009. Statistics Korea, Seoul, South Korea.
- Statistics Korea (2009b) Cause of Deaths. Statistics Korea, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2009) Cost to government health-care services of treating acute self-poisonings in a rural district in Sri Lanka. Bulletin of the World Health Organization87, 180–185. , , et al. (