A diagonal approach to building primary healthcare systems in resource-limited settings: women-centred integration of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, MCH and NCD initiatives
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 17, Issue 12, pages 1426–1431, December 2012
How to Cite
Gounder, C. R. and Chaisson, R. E. (2012), A diagonal approach to building primary healthcare systems in resource-limited settings: women-centred integration of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, MCH and NCD initiatives. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 17: 1426–1431. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03100.x
- Issue published online: 21 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
- 2012) HIV care need not hamper maternity care: a descriptive analysis of integration of services in rural Malawi. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology119, 431–438. , , et al. (
- 2011) Factors influencing retention in care after starting antiretroviral therapy in a rural South African programme. PLoS ONE6, e19201. , , & (
- Declaration of Alma-Ata1978International Conference on Primary Health Care. USSR, Alma-Ata. http://www.who.int/publications/almaata_declaration_en.pdf (accessed 5 August 2012).
- 2010) Using touchscreen electronic medical record systems to support and monitor national scale-up of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. PLoS Medicine7, e1000319. , , et al. (
- 2012) Safety of task-shifting for male medical circumcision: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS26, 559–566. , & (
- 2006) Bridging the Divide: Comprehensive Reform to Improve Health in Mexico. Lecture for WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health, Nairob, Kenya. http://www.who.int/social_determinants/resources/frenk.pdf (accessed 5 August 2012). (
- 2011) Active tuberculosis case-finding among pregnant women presenting to antenatal clinics in Soweto, South Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes57, e77–e84. , , et al. (
- 2004) Expanding antiretroviral therapy in Malawi: drawing on the country’s experience with tuberculosis. British Medical Journal329, 1163–1166. , , , , & (
- 2008) Diabetes mellitus increases the risk of active tuberculosis: a systematic review of 13 observational studies. PLoS Medicine5, e152. & (
- 2011) Impact of integrated family planning and HIV care services on contraceptive use and pregnancy outcomes: a retrospective cohort study. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes58, e121–e126. , , et al. (
- 2008) Alma-Ata 30 years on: revolutionary, relevant, and time to revitalise. Lancet372, 917–927. , , , , & (
- 2012) Comparing early treatment outcomes of MDR-TB in decentralised and centralised settings in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease16, 209–215. , , et al. (
- 2011) Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet378, 1139–1165. , , et al. (
- 2007) Health worker shortages challenge PEPFAR options for strengthening health systems. A Report on the Task Force on HIV/AIDS. Center for Strategic and International Studies. Washington, D.C. http://csis.org/files/media/csis/pubs/071016_healthworker.pdf (accessed 5 August 2012). & (
- 2011) Impact of ZAMSTAR interventions onprevalence of culture-positive tuberculosis. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease15(Suppl 3), S46–S47. (
- 2008) 30 years after Alma-Ata: has primary health care worked in countries?Lancet372, 950–961. , , et al. (
- 2011) Facing a “slow-motion disaster”-- the UN meeting on noncommunicable diseases. New England Journal of Medicine365, 2345–2348. & (
- 2010) Nurse versus doctor management of HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy (CIPRA-SA): a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet376, 33–40. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task-shifting of antiretroviral delivery from health care workers to persons living with HIV/AIDS: clinical outcomes of a community-based program in Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes55, 483–490. , , et al. (
- 2006) Improvement of child survival in Mexico: the diagonal approach. Lancet368, 2017–2027. , , et al. (
- 2011) Impact of ZAMSTAR interventions on transmission of tuberculosis. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease15(Suppl 3), S47. (
- 2010) Drivers of inequality in Millennium Development Goal progress: a statistical analysis. PLoS Medicine7, e1000241. , & (
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (2012) The Global Fund strategy 2012–2016: investing for impact. http://www.theglobalfund.org/documents/core/strategies/Core_GlobalFund_Strategy_en/ (accessed 5 August 2012).
- 2012) Conference call with Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation staff in Maseru, Lesotho. January 26, 2012. (
- 2010) Strengthening health systems at facility-level: feasibility of integrating antiretroviral therapy into primary health care services in lusaka, zambia. PLoS ONE5, e11522. , , et al. (
- U. S. Agency for International Development (2011) The President’s Malaria Initiative: Fifth Annual Report to Congress. USAID, Washington, DC. http://www.fightingmalaria.gov/resources/reports/pmi_annual_report11.pdf (accessed 14 March 2012).
- U. S. Global Health Initiative. (2012). http://www.ghi.gov/ (accessed 5 August 2012).
- 2012) Acceptability and feasibility of integration of HIV care services into antenatal clinics in rural Kenya: a qualitative provider interview study. Glob Public Health7, 149–163. , , , , & (
- World Health Organization (2003) Gender, Health and Tobacco. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/gender/documents/Gender_Tobacco_2.pdf (accessed 24 January 2012).
- World Health Organization (2008) Primary Health Care: Now More than Ever. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/whr/2008/08_overview_en.pdf (accessed 5 August 2012). 2–3.
- World Health Organization (2009a) Women and Health: Today’s Evidence and Tomorrow’s Agenda. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/gender/women_health_report/en/ (accessed 24 January 2012).
- World Health Organization (2009b) Women and TB Fact Sheet. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.stoptb.org/assets/documents/resources/factsheets/womenandtb.pdf (accessed 24 January 2012).
- World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008) GLOBOCAN 2008: Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2008. http://globocan.iarc.fr/ (accessed 24 January 2012).