What motivates Australian health service users with chronic illness to engage in self-management behaviour?
Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
© 2011 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 267–277, April 2014
How to Cite
Jowsey, T., Pearce-Brown, C., Douglas, K. A. and Yen, L. (2014), What motivates Australian health service users with chronic illness to engage in self-management behaviour?. Health Expectations, 17: 267–277. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00744.x
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
- Accepted for publication23 September 2011
- The Australian National University
- University of Sydney
- Menzies Centre for Health Policy
- 3Chronic disease self-management education programs: challenges ahead . Medical Journal of Australia , 2006 ; 186 : 1 – 4 (eMJA Rapid Online Publication) ., .
- 4National Health Priority Action Council . National Service Improvement Framework for Diabetes . Canberra : Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing , 2005 .
- 5National Health Priority Action Council . National Service Improvement Framework for Heart, Stroke and Vascular Disease . Canberra : Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing , 2006 .
- 6National Health Priority Action Council . National Chronic Disease Strategy . Canberra : Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing , 2006 .
- 7NSW Department of Health . Chronic disease self-management support . Sydney 2008 . Available at: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/cdm/self_management.asp, accessed 4 April 2011 .
- 8National Health and Hospitals Reform Commission . A Healthier Future for All Australians: Final Report June 2009 . Canberra : Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing , 2009 .
- 10How engaged are consumers in their health and health care, and why does it matter?Research Briefs , 2008 ; 1 – 9 ., .
- 15Self-determination theory: an approach to human motivation & personality . New York : University of Rochester , 2008 . Available at: http://www.psych.rochester.edu/SDT, accessed 4 April 2011 .,
- 23Qualitative Research Methods for Health Professionals , 2nd edn . Beverley Hills, CA, USA : Sage Publications , 1995 ., .
- 24QSR . NVivo Version 7. International 2007 ; 2007 .
- 25Naturalistic Inquiry . Beverly Hills, CA : Sage Publications , 1985 ., .
- 26Secondary analysis of qualitative data . Social Research Update , 1998 ; 1 : 1 – 6 ..
- 30Supporting self-management . In : NolteE , McKeeM ( eds ) Caring for People With Chronic Conditions: A Health System Perspective . Berkshire, UK : McGraw Hill Open University Press , 2008 : 116 – 142 ., , , .
- 33A Systematic Review of Chronic Disease Management . Canberra : Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute , 2006 Contract No. 2006 ., , et al.