Translating policy into practice: a case study in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease
Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2011
© 2011 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 291–301, April 2014
How to Cite
Prior, L., Wilson, J., Donnelly, M., Murphy, A. W., Smith, S. M., Byrne, M., Byrne, M. and Cupples, M. E. (2014), Translating policy into practice: a case study in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Health Expectations, 17: 291–301. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00754.x
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2011
- Accepted for publication 11 October 2011
- British Heart Foundation
- Cancer Research UK
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- Research and Development Office for the Northern Ireland Health and Social Services
- Wellcome Trust
- the UK Clinical Research Collaboration
- 9European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics . Department of Public Health, University of Oxford , 2008 , Available at: http://ehnheart.org/cvd-statistics.html, accessed on 31 October 2011 ., , et al.
- 10British Heart Foundation ( 2010 ) Coronary Heart Disease Statistics, 2010 , United Kingdom ( table). Available at: http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/statistics/mortality.aspx, accessed 31 October 2011 .
- 11Department of Health and Children . Changing Cardiovascular Health. National Cardiovascular Health Policy, 2010–1019 . Dublin : Department of Health and Children , 2010 .
- 12Central Statistics Office Ireland ( 2010 ) Deaths from principal causes in the years 1998 to 2006 . Available at: http://www.cso.ie/statistics/principalcausesofdeath.htm, accessed 6 January 2011 .
- 14Department of Health . Investing in General Practice. The New GMS Contract . London : Department of Health , 2003 ; Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4071966 .
- 15Department of Health and Children Cardiovascular Health Strategy Group . Building Healthier Hearts: The Report of the Cardiovascular Health Strategy Group . Dublin : The Stationery Office , 1999 .
- 16The SPHERE Study. Secondary prevention of heart disease in general practice: protocol of a randomised controlled trial of tailored practice and patient care plans with parallel qualitative, economic and policy analyses . Current Controlled Trials in Cardiovascular Medicine , 2005 ; 6 : 11 – 26 ., , , , , .
- 17The Argumentative Turn in Policy Analysis and Planning . Durham, NC : Duke University Press , 1993 ., ( eds )
- 18Narrative Policy Analysis, Theory and Practice . Durham, NC : Duke University Press , 1994 ..
- 19Evidence, Argument, and Persuasion in the Policy Process . New Haven, CT : Yale University Press , 1989 ..
- 21Using thematic analysis in psychology . Qualitative Research in Psychology , 2006 ; 3 : 77 – 101 ., .
- 22Social Research Methods , 2nd edn . Oxford : Oxford University Press , 2004 ..
- 23Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety . Investing for Health . Belfast : Department of Health, Social Services, and Public Safety , 2002 .
- 24Heart Health Task Force . Ireland’s Changing Heart; Second Report on Implementation of the Cardiovascular Health Strategy 1999–2002 . Dublin : Department of Health and Children , 2003 .
- 25Heartwatch Reference Guide . The Initial Implementation Phase of a National Programme in General Practice for the Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease . Dublin : Irish College of General Practitioners , 2003 .
- 31Healthcare Delivery Models for the Prevention of CVD . London : The Health Foundation , 2009 ., , .
- 41Heart Health Task Force . Heart Health Task Force Progress Report July 1999–June 2001 . Dublin : Department of Health and Children , 2001 .
- 42Department of Health and Children . Heartwatch Report . Dublin : Irish College of General Practitioners , 2004 .
- 43Department of Health and Children. The National Heartwatch Programme . The National Programme in General Practice for the Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Ireland. Heartwatch Clinical Report. March 2003 to December 2005 – Second Report . Dublin : Health Service Executive , 2006 .
- 44Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety . A Healthier Future: A Twenty Year Vision for Health and Wellbeing in Northern Ireland 2005–2025 . Belfast : Department of Health Social Services and Public Safety , 2005 .
- 45Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety . Investing for Health Update 2004 . Belfast : Health Promotion Agency , 2004 .
- 46Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety . Investing for Health Update 2005 . Belfast : Health Promotion Agency , 2005 .