Consequences, control and appraisal: cues and barriers to engaging in self-management among people affected by colorectal cancer – a secondary analysis of qualitative data
Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 565–578, August 2014
How to Cite
Kidd, L. A. (2014), Consequences, control and appraisal: cues and barriers to engaging in self-management among people affected by colorectal cancer – a secondary analysis of qualitative data. Health Expectations, 17: 565–578. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2012.00785.x
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 MAY 2012
- Accepted for publication 12 March 2012
- 1Department of Health . The Expert Patient: a New Approach to Chronic Disease Management for the 21st Century . London : Department of Health , 2001 .
- 2Scottish Executive . Partnership for Care: Scotland ’s Health White Paper . Edinburgh : Scottish Executive , 2003 .
- 3Department of Health . Supporting People with Long Term Conditions: an NHS and Social Care Model to Support Local Innovation and Integration . London : Department of Health , 2005 .
- 4Department of Health . Self-care: a Real Choice . London : Department of Health , 2005 .
- 5Scottish Government . Improving Health and Wellbeing of People with Long Term Conditions in Scotland: an Action Plan . Edinburgh : Scottish Government , 2009 .
- 6Scottish Government . Better Health, Better Care . Edinburgh : Scottish Government , 2009 .
- 7National Health Priority Action Council (NHPAC) . National Chronic Disease Strategy . Canberra : Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing , 2006 .
- 8Queensland Health . Framework for Self-Management 2008–2015 . Brisbane : Queensland Government , 2007 .
- 9British Columbia Ministry of Health . Primary Health Care Charter: a Collaborative Approach . British Columbia : Ministry of Health , 2007 .
- 10It Takes a Region: Creating a Framework to Improve Chronic Disease Care . Oakland : California Healthcare Foundation , 2006 ., , .
- 11Improving chronic illness care. ‘The Chronic Care Model’ . 2007 . Available at: http://www.improvingchroniccare.org/index.php?p=The_Chronic_Care_Model&s=2, accessed 17 January 2012 .
- 14Improving the outcomes of disease management by tailoring care to the patient’s level of activation . Ambulatory Journal of Managed Care , 2005 ; 15 : 353 – 360 ., , .
- 15NCSI, Research Work Stream Mapping Project . Summary and Reports for: Bowel Cancer, Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, Prostate Cancer . London : National Cancer Survivorship Initiative , 2009 .
- 17A Rapid Review of the Current State of Knowledge Regarding Lay-Led Self Management of Chronic Illness: Evidence Review . London : National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence , 2005 ., , .
- 19Self management education programmes by lay leaders for people with chronic conditions . Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews , 2005 ; 4 : doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD005108 ., , , , .
- 21What Influences People to Self-Care . Manchester : University of Manchester, National Primary Care Research and Development Centre , 2009 ., , et al.
- 22Patient-Focussed Interventions: a Review of the Evidence . London : Health Foundation , 2006 ., .
- 28An Exploration of Patients’ Perceived Control, Self Efficacy and Involvement in Self Care During Chemotherapy for Colorectal Cancer . Stirling : University of Stirling , 2007 ..
- 30The Ethnographic Interview . New York : Holt, Rinehart and Winston , 1979 ..
- 33Remembering and reworking emotions. The reanalysis of emotion in an interview . Oral History , 2010 ; 38 : 2 ..
- 34Illness representations and coping with health threats . In : BaumA , TaylorSE , SingerJE ( eds ) Handbook of Psychology and Health , Vol 4 . New Jersey : Lawrence Earlbaum , 1984 : 219 – 252 ., , .
- 35Illness representations: theoretical foundations . In : PetrieKJ , WeinmanJA ( eds ) Perceptions of Health and Illness: Current Research and Applications . Amsterdam : Harwood Academic Publishers , 1997 : 19 – 45 ., , et al.
- 36Representations, procedures and affect in illness self regulation: a perceptual-cognitive model . In : BaumA , RevensonT , SingerJ ( eds ) Handbook of Health Psychology . New York : Earlbaum , 2001 : 19 – 47 ., , .
- 37Carrying out qualitative analysis . In : RitchieJ , LewisJ ( eds ) Qualitative Research Practice: a Guide For Social Science Students and Researchers . London : Sage Publications , 2003 : 219 – 263 ., , .
- 38Self Efficacy: the Exercise of Control . New York : Freeman , 1997 ..