Choosing dialysis modality: decision making in a chronic illness context
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 710–723, October 2014
How to Cite
Winterbottom, A., Bekker, H. L., Conner, M. and Mooney, A. (2014), Choosing dialysis modality: decision making in a chronic illness context. Health Expectations, 17: 710–723. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2012.00798.x
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAY 2012
- Baxter's Healthcare
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- 1Department of Health. The National Services Framework for Renal Services: Part One Dialysis and Transplantation. London: The Stationary Office, 2005.
- 4Mortality risks of peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 1997; 34: 1065–1074., , et al.
- 6(Effectiveness and efficiency of methods of dialysis therapy for end-stage renal disease: systematic reviews. Health Technology Assessment, 1998; 2: 5., , et al.
- 8Geography and the debate over medical reform. Health Affairs – Web Exclusive, 2002; 13: W96–W114., , .
- 12Renal replacement therapy choices for pre-dialysis renal patients. British Journal of Nursing, 1995; 14: 659–664., .
- 13Psychological care of the haemodialysis patient. EDTNA/ERCA Journal, 2003; 29: 85–88., , .
- 16The trauma of life threatening illness: end stage renal failure. Nephrology, Dialysis & Transplantation, 2002; 31: 295–300..
- 19Cognitive and behavioural deficits and quality of life in renal failure. In: McGee HM, Bradley C (eds) Quality of Life Following Renal Failure. London: Harwood, 1994: 99–112., ,
- 29Patients' descriptions of specific factors leading to modality selection of chronic peritoneal dialysis or haemodialysis. Peritoneal Dialysis International, 2002; 22: 184–190., , , , , .
- 30Making decisions about dialysis options: an audit of patients' views. EDTNA/ERCA Journal, 1998; 24: 25–26..
- 32Preventing Waste: a ritual analysis of candidate selection for kidney transplantation. Anthropology & Medicine, 2000; 7: 351–372..
- 33Preparing for hemodialysis: patient stressors and responses. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 2005; 32: 295–302., , , , .
- 34Perceptions of adult patients on hemodialysis concerning choice among renal replacement therapies. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 2007; 34: 513–519, 25., .
- 38Haemodialysis at home: the client experience of self treatment. EDTNA/ERCA Journal, 2005; 31: 27–30..
- 41Renal Registry. Renal Registry Eleventh Annual Report: The Renal Association. 2008.
- 42Chpt. 7 Using decision making theory to inform clinical practice. In: Edwards A, Elwyn G (eds) Shared Decision-Making in Health Care: Achieving Evidence-Based Patient Choice, 2nd edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009: 45–52.
- 44The common-sense representation of illness danger. In: Rachman S (ed.) Contributions to Medical Psychology, Vol. 2. New York: Pergamon Press, 1980: 7–30., ,
- 45The logic of qualitative survey research and its position in the field of social research methods. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 2010; 11: No. 2, Art. 11..
- 46Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2002..
- 48Decision Making: A Psychology of Conflict, Choice and Commitment. London: The Free Press, Collier & Macmillan Publishers, 1977., .
- 49Decision Making: Alternatives to Rational Choice Models. Newbury Park, CA: SAGE Publications Inc, 1992.(ed.).
- 50Rational Choice Theory and Organizational Theory: A Critique. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc, 1998..
- 51Chpt. 8: Quantitative social science: the survey. In: Bowling A, Ebrahim S (eds) Handbook of Health Research Methods: Investigation, Measurement and Analysis. Maidenhead, Berkshire: McGraw-Hill International, Open University Press, 2005: 331–361.
- 52National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification and stratification. American Journal of Kidney, 2002; 39 (Suppl. 1): S1–S000.
- 53Chpt 9: Carrying out qualitative analysis. In: Richie J, Lewis J (eds) Qualitative Research Practice: A Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers. London: Sage Publications, 2005: 219–262., ,
- 54Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 2006; 3: 77–101., .
- 55Decision Making About Dialysis. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, UK: University of Leeds, 2009..
- 57Patients' perceptions concerning choice among renal replacement therapies: a pilot study. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 2006; 33: 397–402., .
- 58Activating chronic kidney disease patients and family members through the internet to promote integration of care. International Journal of Integrated Care, 2004; 4: 1–13., , et al.