Thresholds for food allergens and their value to different stakeholders
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 63, Issue 5, pages 597–609, May 2008
How to Cite
Crevel, R. W. R., Ballmer-Weber, B. K., Holzhauser, T., Hourihane, J. O’B., Knulst, A. C., Mackie, A. R., Timmermans, F. and Taylor, S. L. (2008), Thresholds for food allergens and their value to different stakeholders. Allergy, 63: 597–609. doi: 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01636.x
- Issue online: 3 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2008
- Accepted for publication 26 November 2007
- 12European Food Safety Authority. Opinion of the Scientific Panel on Dietitic Products, Nutrition and Allergies on a request from the Commission relating to the evaluation of allergenic foods for labelling purposes. EFSA J 2004;32:1–197.
- 17US FDA/CFSAN 2006. Report prepared by the Threshold Working Group. Approaches to establish thresholds for major food allergens and for gluten in food. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/acrobat/alrgn2.pdf; accessed 31 January 2008.
- 18Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 March 2000 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the labelling, presentation and advertising of foods. Official Journal of the European Union L 109, 0029–0042, 06/05/2000.
- 19Directive 2003/89/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 10 November 2003 amending Directive 2000/13/EC as regards indication of the ingredients present in foodstuffs. Official Journal of the European Union L 308/15, 25/11/2003.
- 20European Commission Directive 2006/142/EC of 22 December 2006 amending Annex IIIa of Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council listing the ingredients which must under all circumstances appear on the labelling of foodstuffs. Official Journal of the European Union L 368/110, 22/12/2006.
- 21European Commission Directive 2005/26/EC of 21 March 2005 establishing a list of food ingredients or substances provisionally excluded from Annex IIIa of Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council. Official Journal of the European Union L 75/33, 22/03/2005.
- 22Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act 2004. 118 STAT. 905. Public Law 108–282 – Aug. 2, 2004
- 23Conseil fédéral suisse Ordonnance sur les denrées alimentaires. RO 2002;573.
- 25Detecting allergens in foods. Woodhead Publishing Ltd and CRC Press LLC, Cambridge, Boca Raton, 2006., , editors.
- 26Neue deklarationspflicht für nahrungsmittelallergene in lebensmitteln. Stellungnahme der arbeitsgruppe nahrungsmittelallergie der deutschen gesellschaft für allergologie und des ärzteverbandes deutscher allergologie. Allergo J 2006;15:114–123., , , , , et al.
- 28ISO 22000. Food safety management systems – requirements for any organization in the food chain. International Organisation for Standardisation, 2005. Available at: http://www.iso.org
- 29FAO/WHO. Application of risk analysis to food standards issues. Report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation. World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995:13–17. March 1995, WHO/FNU/FOS/95.3. Available at: http://www.who.int/fsf/Documents/applira.pdf.
- 30FAO/WHO. Risk Management and Food Safety, Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Consultation, Rome, Italy, 27 to 31 January 1997, FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 65. Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome. http://www.fao.org/docrep/W4982E/W4982E00.htm
- 31Codex Alimentarius Commission. Principles for the risk analysis of foods derived from modern biotechnology. CAC/GL44-2003. Codex Alimentarius Commission, Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme, Food and Agriculture Organisation, Rome, 2003. Available at: http://www.codexalimentarius.net/web/standard_list.do?lang=en
- 36Patients find low dose threshold challenges useful in the management of their peanut allergy. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, San Antonio, 2005., , , .
- 55European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology. Standardization of food challenges in patients with immediate reactions to foods – position paper from the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology. Allergy 2004;59:690–697., , , , , et al.