Testing alternative models for sexual isolation in natural populations of Littorina saxatilis: indirect support for by-product ecological speciation?
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 288–293, March 2004
How to Cite
Cruz, R., Carballo, M., Conde-Padín, P. and Rolán-Alvarez, E. (2004), Testing alternative models for sexual isolation in natural populations of Littorina saxatilis: indirect support for by-product ecological speciation?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 288–293. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2003.00689.x
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2004
- Received 27 March 2003; revised 11 November 2003; accepted 11 November 2003
- 1993. Male competition, female mate choice and sexual size dimorphism in poeciliid fishes. Mar. Behav. Physiol. 0: 257–286.
- 1993. The variability of mating signals and preferences in the brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae). J. Ins. Behav. 6: 125–140.
- 2001. Sexual selection on phenotypic traits in a hybrid zone of Littorina saxatilis (Olivi). J. Evol. Biol. 14: 773–785. , &
- 1998. Sexual selection and assortative mating by size and their roles in the maintenance of a polymorphism in Swedish Littorina saxatilis populations. Hydrobiologia 378: 59–69. &
- 1998. Migratory differences between ecotypes of the snail Littorina saxatilis on Galician rocky shores. Evol. Ecol. 12: 913–924. , &
- 1999. Mate search and aggregation behaviour in the galician hybrid zone of Littorina saxatilis. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 891–896. , &
- 1980. The Prosobranch molluscs of Britain and Denmark. Part 5. Marine Littorinacea. J. Moll. Stud. 7: 242–263. &
- 1980. Non-allopatric speciation in animals. Syst. Zool. 29: 254–271. &
- 1985. Statistics of sexual isolation. Evolution 39: 1380–1383. &
- 1996. Male mate choice in a natural population of the parasitic copepod Lernaeocera branchialis (Copepoda, Pennellidae). Behaviour 133: 221–239. &
- 1997. Incipient speciation by sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster: extensive genetic divergence without reinforcement. Genetics 147: 1191–1201. , , &
- 1993. Morphological differentiation and genetic cohesiveness over a microenvironmental gradient in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. Evolution 47: 1770–1787. , &
- 1995. Incipient reproductive isolation between two sympatric morphs of the intertidal snail Littorina saxatilis. Evolution 49: 1180–1190. , &
- 1998. Estimating the mating behavior of a pair of hybridizing Heliconius species in the wild. Evolution 52: 503–510. , &
- 1998. Body size, natural selection, and speciation in sticklebacks. Evolution 52: 209–218. &
- 2002. Host-plant adaptation drives the parallel evolution of reproductive isolation. Nature 417: 440–443. , &
- 1997. Feeding strategy and habitat choice in Littorina saxatilis (Gastropoda: Prosobranchia) and their role in the origin and maintenance of a sympatric polymorphism. Ophelia 46: 205–216. , , &
- 1999. Mate choice in divergent morphs of the gastropod mollusk Littorina saxatilis (Olivi): speciation in action? Anim. Behav. 58: 181–184. &
- 2001. Correlated evolution of morphology and vocal signal structure in Darwin's finches. Nature 409: 185–188.
- 1996. Systematics and Evolution of Littorina. The Ray Society, Dorcherster.
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1996. The shape of female mating preferences. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 93: 14628–14631.
- 2000. Estimating sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequencies. Evolution 54: 30–36. &
- 1997. The maintenance of a cline in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis: the role of home site advantage and hybrid fitness. Evolution 51: 1838–1847. , &
- 1999. Mechanisms of incomplete prezygotic reproductive isolation in an intertidal snail: testing behavioural models in wild populations. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 879–890. , , &
- 1990. Mate discrimination in Littorina littorea (L.) and L. saxatilis (Olivi) (Mollusca: Prosobranchia). Hydrobiologia 193: 261–270.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 372–380.
- 1922. The genotypical response of the plant species to the habitat. Hereditas 3: 211–350.
- 2001. Sympatric speciation in animals: the ugly duckling grows up. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 325–413.