Between-year variation of MHC allele frequencies in great reed warblers: selection or drift?
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2004
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 485–492, May 2004
How to Cite
Westerdahl, H., Hansson, B., Bensch, S. and Hasselquist, D. (2004), Between-year variation of MHC allele frequencies in great reed warblers: selection or drift?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 17: 485–492. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2004.00711.x
- Issue published online: 8 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2004
- Received 24 October 2003; revised 9 January 2004; accepted 10 January 2004
- 1991. Pathogenicity and epizootiology of avian haematozoa: Plasmodium, Leucocytozoon and Haemoproteus. In: Bird–Parasite Interactions (J. E.Loye & M.Zuk, eds), pp. 19–48. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1996. Female mating status and reproductive success in the great reed warbler: is there a potential cost of polygyny that requires compensation?. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 283–296.
- 1991. Territory infidelity in the polygynous great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus : the effect of variation in territory attractiveness. J. Anim. Ecol. 60: 857–871. &
- 2003. Temporal and spatial variation of hematozoans in Scandinavian Willow warblers. J. Parasitol. 89: 388–391. &
- 1998. Higher fitness for philopatric than for immigrant males in a semi-isolated population of great reed warblers. Evolution 52: 877–883. , , &
- 2000. Host specificity in avian blood parasites: a study of Plasmodium and Haemoproteus mitochondrial DNA amplified from birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 1583–1589. , , , , , &
- 2001. SSCP analysis of Mhc class IIB genes in the threespine stickleback. J. Fish Biol. 58: 887–890. , , &
- 1972. Evolutionary significance of the HLA system. Nature 237: 139–145.
- 1977. Marek's disease: effects of B histocompatibility alloalleles in resistant and susceptible chicken lines. Science 19: 193–195. , &
- 1999. Immunocompetence of nesting great tits in relation to rearing environment and parentage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 2315–2322. , , &
- 1999. HLA and HIV-1: heterozygote advantage and B*35-Cw*04 disadvantage. Science 283: 1748–1752. , , , , , , , , &
- 1992. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, Vol VI. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1993. GLIM for Ecologists. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 2001. Sexual selection and the geography of Plasmodium infection in Savannah sparrows (Passerculus sandwichensis). Oecologia 127: 517–521. , &
- 1982. Heritable true fitness and bright birds: a role for parasites. Science 218: 384–387. &
- 2003. Dispersal, inbreeding and fitness in natural populations. Doctoral thesis, Animal Ecology, Lund University, Sweden.
- 2000. Increase of genetic variation over time in a recently founded population of great reed warblers (Acrocephalus arundinaceus) revealed by microsatellites and DNA fingerprinting. Mol. Ecol. 9: 1529–1538. , , , , &
- 2001. Microsatellite diversity predicts recruitment in sibling great reed warblers. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 1287–1291. , , &
- 2002. Restricted dispersal in a long-distance migrant bird with patchy distribution, the great reed warbler. Oecologia 130: 536–542. , , &
- 2003. A new approach to study dispersal: immigration of novel alleles reveals female-biased dispersal in great reed warblers. Mol. Ecol. 12: 631–637. , &
- 1995. Demography and lifetime reproductive success in the polygynous great reed warbler. Jpn. J. Ornithol. 44: 181–194.
- 1998. Polygyny in great reed warblers: a long term study of factors contributing to male fitness. Ecology 79: 2376–2390.
- 2002. Pathogen resistance and genetic variation at MHC loci. Evolution 56: 1902–1908.
- 1991. Common West African HLA antigens are associated with protection from severe malaria. Nature 352: 595–600. , , , , , , , , &
- 1988. Patterns of nucleotide substitution at major histocompatibility complex class I loci reveals overdominant selection. Nature 335: 167–170. &
- 1989. Nucleotide substitution at the major histocompatibility complex class II loci:evidence for overdominant selection. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86: 958–962. &
- 1995. Natural selection on the peptide-binding regions of major histocompatibility complex molecules. Immunogenetics 42: 233–243. &
- 1996. Microsatellites, from molecules to populations and back. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 424–429. &
- 1986. Natural History of the Major Histocompatibility Complex. Wiley, New York.
- 2001. Association between major histocompatibility complex class IIB alleles and resistance to Aeromonas salmonicida in Atlantic salmon. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 479–485. , , , &
- 1999. The quantitative and molecular genetic architecture of a subdivided species. Evolution 53: 100–110. , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Host immune defence and migration in birds. Evol. Ecol. 12: 945–953. &
- 1987. Detection and localization of single base changes by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Methods Enzymol 155: 501–527. , &
- 1991. Polymorphism and evolution of the major histocompatibility complex loci in mammals. In: Evolution at the Molecular Level (R.K.Selander, A.G.Clark & T.S.Whittam, eds), pp. 222–247. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1998. Major histocompatibility complex variation associated with juvenile survival and parasite resistance in a large unmanaged ungulate population. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95: 3714–3719. , &
- 1992. Biology of the chicken MHC (B complex). Crit. Rev. Immunol. 12: 47–79. , &
- 1990. Evolution of diversity at the major histocompatibility complex. Trends Ecol. Evol. 5: 181–187. &
- 1993. Microsatellites and kinship. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8: 285–288. , &
- 2001. Female sticklebacks count alleles in strategy of sexual selection explaining MHC polymorphism. Nature 414: 300–302. , , &
- 2000. Fifty Seychelles warbler (Acrocephalus sechellensis) microsatellite loci polymorphic in Sylviidae species and their cross-species amplification in other passerine birds. Mol. Ecol. 9: 2155–2234. , , , , &
- SAS. 1990. Version 6.11. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nesting barn swallows in relation to brood size and parental effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 1993. Balancing selection at HLA loci. In: Mechanisms of Molecular Evolution (N.Takahata & A.G.Clark, eds), pp. 129–149. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 1987. Marek's disease, a model for protection against herpesvirus-induced tumours. Cancer Surv. 6: 1–37.
- 2000. arlequin version 2000: A Software for Population Genetics Data Analysis. Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva, Switzerland. , and
- 1995. Biometry. Freeman, New York. &
- 1999. Trastsångarens ungfågelrörelser. Fåglar i Kvismaren 2–6.
- 1997. Heterozygote advantage for HLA class-II type in hepatitis B virus infection. Nat. Genet. 17: 11–12. , , &
- 2002. Cross-species infection of blood parasites between resident and migratory songbirds in Africa. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1545–1554. , &
- 2003. Avian MHC: variation and selection in the wild. Doctoral thesis, Animal Ecology, Lund University, Sweden.
- 1999. Polymorphism and transcription of Mhc class I genes in a passerine bird, the great reed warbler. Immunogenetics 49: 158–170. , &
- 2004. Mhc class I typing in a songbird with numerous loci and high polymorphism using motif-specific PCR and DGGE. J. Hered., in press. , &
- 1998. systat 9.0 for Windows. SPSS Inc., Evanston, IL.